• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think it has a fan. I did have one in the camper bedroom and the kitchen. I only bought gas for the stove and water heater and never ran the furnace.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have the same one except mines a single push button to switch temps in 5 degree hi/lo settings or max high/low no thermostat setting. Keeps my sunroom from being frosty.
    I've considered many times of installing a mini split system out there with a high efficient heat pump and a AC only split put upstairs to help out with cooling to reduce the
    load on my main AC.

This is what I used for camping on free electric. Without regard to operating cost, it's the best electric heater. It will put out just enough, or crazy heat if you crank it up. Has a hi low setting, thermostat, and tip shutoff. I only use it if I'm fixing something major on a bike in the winter. It heats the whole garage. I bought a salamander and gave it to my brother in law. The fumes give me a headache.

Sunbeam ceramic heater
    HHqxpsC.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The original was Honeywell. I bought it new, and store it in the box. When I wanted another one, the only thing out there was Sunbeam. Exact same heater with a different name. Sh*t fact, news you can't use.

LizR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2017
    Henry County
    We have two or three oil furnaces that we do not use. We also have the oil tanks. I don't know much about them but if anyone is interested I can get info to you. My husband uses a barrel stove in his shop. I did not want the furnace in the garage.

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    In order of my preference for garage heat (I’ve used all of these):
    1. Reznor or similar permanent mounted hanging forced air propane or NG furnace. Clean, quiet, safe, effective. Has flue and nice fan.
    2. 30k BTU wall mounted non vented propane or NG heater. Doesn’t even require electricity (think grid down) but also doesn’t have a fan to move heat around. Not really smelly.
    3. Propane portable salamander. Moves heat effectively and not smelly.
    4. “KeroSun” type Kerosene portable room heater. No air movement and can be smelly on start up and shutdown.
    5. Electric heater. Since 1500 watt is the limit and that equals 5118 BTU/hr, Very weak compared to the above and costly to operate. But very clean and safe.
    6. Kerosene or diesel fuel salamander. Can be very powerful but very smelly and loud. I would only use in a well vented building like a barn.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wish that when I sold my old house that I had made sure it was understood that my garage 125,000BTU 3 phase (rewired to single phase) forced air heater mounted on the ceiling came with me.

It was a little overkill because I had a VERY well insulated 2.5 car garage where even in the coldest temps it never got below 40degree inside due to just engine heat warming up the inside.
    The forced air heater was for when I had to open the overhead door in the cold winter months and lost all heat. It could warm up the space inside of 10 minutes in sub zero temps to a toasty 75.
    The only drawback was watching my meter spin so fast that I was concerned of liftoff if it separated. LOL

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is kind of a high end solution, but when I worked at a car dealership (25 years ago) we installed infrared NG heaters like these:

https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...essure-straight-tube-tough-guy-200000-btu-60l

They hung just high enough to clear our lifts and were nearly silent. The warmed people and objects. They were on a timer so they dialed back at night, but never off because it took a long time for them to bring the heat back up. They were really nice. Next best thing to a radiant floor for a shop. We heated a 60x80 shop this way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has anyone had any experience with these things?

[video=youtube_share;9ar4PvgMn4c]https://youtu.be/9ar4PvgMn4c[/video]

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have this in my detached garage/workshop:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Electric-Utility-Heater-3UG73

Works pretty well, and no kerosene stink or moisture. Required 220V, but that was not an issue for me (I also have a 220V welding circuit). The thermostat works fine, to keep the shop above freezing. Also heats it up nicely when I'm out there. Sure, electric isn't the cheapest to run, but for occasional use it has been fine for me.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I have this in my detached garage/workshop:
    https://www.grainger.com/product/DAYTON-Electric-Utility-Heater-3UG73

Works pretty well, and no kerosene stink or moisture. Required 220V, but that was not an issue for me (I also have a 220V welding circuit). The thermostat works fine, to keep the shop above freezing. Also heats it up nicely when I'm out there. Sure, electric isn't the cheapest to run, but for occasional use it has been fine for me.

I have the knock off version of this from Rural King. It works well enough to keep my garage in the 40’s. The only concern I have is I have REMC and my electric bills last winter were awful. I got a new geothermal system for the house this year so I’m
    hopeful that will help.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have the knock off version of this from Rural King. It works well enough to keep my garage in the 40’s. The only concern I have is I have REMC and my electric bills last winter were awful. I got a new geothermal system for the house this year so I’m
    hopeful that will help.
    It adds $10-20 per month to my bill in the winter. Granted, the garage is decently insulated, which helps a ton.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    hopeful that will help.

It will. It helped ours to the tune of about 40% during our typically coldest month. Being on the REMC is certainly a high price to pay for not having to live in town.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I have a 850 sq. ft. attached garage, insulated ceiling. I started with a salamander. Now I have a ceiling mounted 60K gas forced air space heater. Thermo is set at 45*. I can crank it up to 75* in 30 minutes or so... I'm a t-shirt and shorts kinda guy..... no matter what the outside temp. is..... lol

Top Bottom