• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    When I first learned about Mr. Buddy heaters, I knew I needed a few and some propane tanks. I failed to act!
    If you can wait till after winter you can find a lot of great deals on Mr. buddy heater’s. Also you can find propane tanks for about $10-$15 on craigslist and then get them refilled at your local propane suppliers for around $16-$17.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you can wait till after winter you can find a lot of great deals on Mr. buddy heater’s. Also you can find propane tanks for about $10-$15 on craigslist and then get them refilled at your local propane suppliers for around $16-$17.

We have 4 tanks that I keep full. The spouse has a propane heater on the deck and it takes these bottles. I need a few more.

LeverGunFan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2008
    Bartholomew County
    I used to heat a small house with direct vent natural gas heaters that had millivolt thermostats. They used a thermocouple in a standing pilot flame to generate a small (millivolt) voltage to operate the gas valve and thermostat. No electricity required. There was an optional electric fan to circulate the warm air, but they worked fine without the fan. There were also propane versions.

chevyguy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    So Churchmouse according to what you say and what others say if it aint connected to-the grid you are good. Does that mean the transfer switch saves the gen set?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I prep more for weather related stuff, I've never seen a solar flare that caused a big EMP event and probably never will. I have seen bad weather, snow, ice, and thunderstorms put the power down for quite a while here in Indiana. I remember an ice storm in Frankfort Indiana that put the power out for weeks. I have two generators, a large one and a small one. House is heated completely with wood, which living in the middle of the GSF was a no brainer. I still look for those kerosene salamander heaters at auctions for the barns.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Currently having a gas/wood burning fireplace put in our new home. Will only run gas unless emergency situation pops up.
    Two generators on site. One small portable and a larger one that will run all necessities.

Matt

Lucky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Shelbyville
    I have used alternative heat methods since the blizzard of ‘78. Had a new daughter that was only six months of age. We were without power for five days and absolutely no way of leaving the house. At the time we had a Ben Franklin fireplace for emergency heat and as a means to reduce heating costs. Had it not been for that stove, I am almost certain we would have all lost our lives.
    After that experience, wood became our primary heat source until our insurance company decided they did not like the location of our outside boiler and told us they would not insure if we continue the use of it. They would however allow the use of a free standing unit in the house ( I know, that’s dumb).
    I spoke with a very good friend that had bought a free standing coal stove and was very pleased at the results. He happens to be Amish so it operates without any electrical hook up. I bought a new coal stove and can tell you, I feel really dumb for cutting 15 to 20 truckloads of wood each year in the past.. I should have sold the wood and bought coal! I would have made some pretty good money over the years.
    This particular stove burns anthracite coal and is unbelievably clean. No noticeable smell at all and takes very little “ tending”. I take care of it twice each day when it’s very cold and only once on normal days. The entire procedure is done between a tv commercial break.
    On days when it’s just chilly, it will also burn wood as a regular wood stove for short burn times.
    It has a thermostat control so it automatically adjusts to changing conditions. There are ten settings on it and we have never gotten higher than a four setting. I can’t imagine what it would do on ten!
    Before making an investment, at least do yourself a favor and some serious study of anthracite coal.

djlaundry2000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I love my jr buddy heater. Never really had to use it for more then a few hours for emergency. Terre Haute, knock on wood has not had any major wide spread outages. I keep about 6 to 10 green tanks for it and a grill i have plus have one full white tank for my fire pit that i can use on it. I hate that i dont have a gas stove but will be changing that next year sometime since my furnace and water heater are gas.

Top Bottom