• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I can not speak for the higher end savages, or the Remington 700's. I do know that my Savage Edge will produce 5 shots groups smaller then a nickle, not bad for a $300 rifle, and a testament to Savage quality.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I have a Savage FLCP-K 308. I have hit a horsefly on my target at 100 yards and have shot sub-moa (near 1/2 moa) groups with it at 850 yards. It is bone stock with good mounts and optics. Someday, if I can ever outshoot my rifle, I may consider upgrading, but I doubt I will be able to outshoot the rifle.

cgbills

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Avon
    One thing to think about is the aftermarket for the rifles. I have owned a Savage 12FVSS (with accutrigger) and currently own a 700 Police. They were both about the same out of the box accuracy with the slight edge going to my 700. The big difference between the two is the 700 has a much bigger aftermarket. The majority of the “tactical” shooters shoot 700s, so the majority of the tactical bolt gun after market is geared toward the 700. Also there are many more gun smiths and gun shops that specialize in accurizing the 700. This is not a ding on Savage, they are great guns, just a factor to consider.

The next big question is what is the cost you are looking at? There are some awesome production rifles out there that are guaranteed .25 moa, but they cost north of $1500. If you are thinking around $1500 look at the FN bolt guns. Looking at more than that, check out the SAKO TRG22 or Accuracy International. If you are looking at sub $1k, there are a lot of choices. I will say if you are looking at Remington go with a Remington mil-spec 5R if you can get a hold of one. They have the same barrel that is on the M24 sniper system. If you can’t get one of those get a 700 Police. If you get a Savage get one with a stock that is nicer than the standard plastic. They have ones with HS Precision and McMillian stocks; I would go with one of those if I was to get a savage.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Have you picked a caliber yet? You said varmint rifle. Lots of these rifles being mentioned are .308, that isn't exactly what I would choose for varmints.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I feel bad for OP if he is still reading this because he is probably more confused than when he started. He has had a couple of dozen different options recommended to him with not much more justification than saying they shot good for somebody else, by people who have no more to go on than he wants to go Varmint hunting.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The nice thing about a Savage is you can switch the bearrel yourself.
    If you want to go up in size, from .223 to .308, a barrel and a bolt head should be all thats needed. (+ guages for head space)

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    He has had a couple of dozen different options recommended to him with not much more justification than saying they shot good for somebody else, by people who have no more to go on than he wants to go Varmint hunting.

The abundance of punched paper and absence of punched varmints rings loud and clear.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I feel bad for OP if he is still reading this because he is probably more confused than when he started. He has had a couple of dozen different options recommended to him with not much more justification than saying they shot good for somebody else, by people who have no more to go on than he wants to go Varmint hunting.

I shoot paper and prairie dogs with mine. Its done a super job at both.
    At 150 yards I can cover my group with a dime. I also shot it for a week straight in S.D. at prairie dogs from 30 feet to 500 yrds.
    The factory stock on the savage does leave a little to be desired. I beded mine, filled in the factory checkering and painted it. You can buy a Bell and Carson stock for about $100.

Coltguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    I have several Savages and would recommend them to anyone, lots of configuration and bang on out ofthe box.

yotebutcher90

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    West Lafayette
    Ruger Mk II VT, great guns and extremely accurate, me and my dad own the whole collection and the largest group at 200 yards is 1/2 inch with 5 shots in 243, best is 1/4 inch with a 22-250

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own two Savage rifles and have been very pleased. I'm personally not a fan of the 700. I would also take a look at Wetherby. They have some nice models for the money.

jordyman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2011
    Spencer
    Not that EVERYONE hasn't already said it, but I shoot varmint with my 10/22 and now my Savage 17hmr and I feel like that round is like shooting a lazer beam. You hit a crow at 80 yards and it makes him puff up because the bullet hits so fast and its so light its like an explosive. For the money Id look nowhere but. No remingtons, unless you want something like a 700 but thats gonna run twice the cost on the savage.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Both the Remington and Savages are great rifles. Either will serve your purpose well, and your going to be told that the one someone has, is better than the one that he doesn't. It comes down to budget and preference.

Personally, I like the Remington. The action and controls feel better to me, most models come with a better stock, and I hate the weird "accu-trigger". Most likely, you are going to want to change the stock on either rifle eventually for something better, and the Remingtons are a little easier to find a deal on, since they are so plentiful.

The Winchester 70, Ruger 77, Browning's, and many others are great as well, and have killed a lot of critters.

That's my 2 cents, and as the old saying go's, "opinions are like *'s. Everyone's got one, and they all stink.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    I have a Savage model 12Bgtvss in .204 ruger and a CZ 550 varmint in .308 win and love both of them. Both have heavy bull barrel and boy howdy can they shot! The savage with the accutrigger and the CZ with the double set and mauser action, they are spot on!!

Spot Me 2

Expert
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Tikka T3. Most shoot 1/3 MOA out of the box and some, like mine are better then that. It is one of the SMOOOOOTHEST actions I have ever had the privilege of working. I am still getting used to it and I know it is more accurate than I am!!!!!

IMG_6233.jpg

IMG_6234.jpg

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    I agree with kboom. Have the SPS tactical in 22-250 with a heavy barrel. It would drive tacks in the hand of a good shooter (I am not that person). I can get 2" groups at 200 yrds.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The abundance of punched paper and absence of punched varmints rings loud and clear.

I have yet to take any varmints with my new (to me) Savage...just haven't had a chance. The rifle it is replacing, my Remington 700 in 22 CHeetah has taken over 1500 coyotes and uncounted small rodents. The Savage will easily shoot groups comparable to the CHeetah and do so for a tenth the cost of my custom Remington. (not to mention factory ammo is a nice option)

I saw it mentioned the Remington has more aftermarket options, not sure that is true today. There are many more options for the Savage than there were 10 years ago including going full out and turning a Savage into a tubed receiver gun with detachable magazines. Even the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock with it's pillar bedding turns the Savage into a 1/2 moa or better rifle.

Perhaps we need to organize a long range rifle event where everyone can bring their best and other can try them out. I think it would really be a fun day and would help others choose a rifle for themselves. I have an idea how it would end, with most brands of rifle shooting about equally but it would allow new buyers to make choices based on what they liked best.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Perhaps we need to organize a long range rifle event where everyone can bring their best and other can try them out. I think it would really be a fun day and would help others choose a rifle for themselves. I have an idea how it would end, with most brands of rifle shooting about equally but it would allow new buyers to make choices based on what they liked best.

I'd be interested in that!

I'm slowly looking to add some gear to my R700 and I'd like to try out some stocks like the AICS 1.5vs2.0, the B&C Tactical Medalists etc...

Also I'd like to do a side by side on glass so I can REALLY see what the difference is between a 200, 500 and 1000 dollar scope.

As far as the OP is concerned, I have generally used a .22 for varmints (mostly possum and coons) but chose a remington 700 (used) for getting into long range competition and coyote extermination as needed.

I haven't shot anything but paper with the R700 but it shoots MUCH MUCH tighter than my .22's at 100 yards so far on paper.

Top Bottom