• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    I've always carried a small Kershaw Half Ton folder. I love that little thing. I am however in the market for something quite bigger and something I would feel comfortable with if I were ever "lost" or something similiar. I've heard good things about Zero Tolerance blades but not sure I want to drop a couple hundred bucks, although the 0301 is pretty slick. If any of you more experienced knife guys could suggest a pretty decent size folder and one you would feel comfortable with if it's all you had.

The 3 folders I have are:
    Spyderco Tenacious, Kershaw Half Ton, Gerber Scout

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol tyler the extreme ration rao. i would love to see somone walking around with that in their pocket. i had one and there was no way in hell you could edc that bad boy unless your 6'7 300lbs lol

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    You may want to read some of the previous threads in here to see the answers to basically the same question. :D Nothing wrong with ZT knives.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    ZT will be the cheaper of heavier duty knives around.. I have ZT 0301.. they are great knives.. you wont be disappointed .. great service, and great warranty ..!! I also like my STRIDER knife but a bit more than the ZT..!! Buck makes a decent Heavy duty called the CSAR I think.. pretty good knife , the heat treat is done by BOS. price around $120-$140..??? I think.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    You might want to take a look at the Benchmade Rift, Onslaught, 710 and Bedlam models. All of these Benchmade models I would consider heavy duty knives. As Charlie has mentioned, the Buck CSAR-T (Combat Search and Rescue Tool) is very heavy duty and uses ATS-34 with the BOS heat treating process.....They run/cost $100.00.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For truely HEAVY Duty? Try Horton. At Blade I saw a folder of his that was 100% titanium and even the frame was about .22" thick on each side, while the blade was about a .25" thick. The thing had to way a pound.

Also Grayman Satu. I really like my Lion Steel SR-1 AL and it's beefy, I've even chopped some small branches with it (green, not more than .5" thick); I really like the D2 blade on it.

But any heavy duty bomb proof folder is going to be $$$.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    all great knives!

also look around for the discontinued Buck/Strider collab folders. i think they were the 550 series. they were tough, tough knives available in two sizes. going for around $150 now for a minty one around the inter webzzzzzzzz.

stchas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Terrible Haute
    Thanks for some of the ideas. I've decided I'm going to get the Buck CSAR-T. Give it a run. I told my wife if she needed ideas for my birthday the ZT 0301 would be a nice starting point, lol.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    I got my Buck CSAR -T from Brad.. Its a great knife..!! Heavy duty. Its weighs a little more than the ZT 0301. Lots of steel in this knife.. oh forgot to say its a Buck / Tops collaboration ..

Top Bottom