Heirloom Seed Bank (a place to trade heirloom seeds)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I have been getting into heirlooms lately and am having trouble finding what I want/need at the places I frequent. I thought it may be a good idea to start a "seed bank" trading thread. I have no seed to offer yet, but am growing six different heirloom varieties of tomatoes this year and will have some to offer soon after the fruit starts to come in from the vines. I will post when each becomes available and I encourage you all do the same and maybe we can get something started here! Thanks.

Oh, I will also try to take weekly pictures and note qualities of each variety plant, fruit, etc... to include with any seed I trade and for my own records of course.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I will have seeds this year from:
    2 heirloom tomatoes - A Burbank you don't have to stak and cherry tomatoes
    Brooccoli
    An Israeli melon that does very well in sandy soil
    Arugula
    Marketmore and lemon cukes
    Snow peas
    Others that I may have enough to trade, will post in late summer.

WATCHA GOT?

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA

I have been getting into heirlooms lately and am having trouble finding what I want/need at the places I frequent. I thought it may be a good idea to start a "seed bank" trading thread. I have no seed to offer yet, but am growing six different heirloom varieties of tomatoes this year and will have some to offer soon after the fruit starts to come in from the vines. I will post when each becomes available and I encourage you all do the same and maybe we can get something started here! Thanks.

Oh, I will also try to take weekly pictures and note qualities of each variety plant, fruit, etc... to include with any seed I trade and for my own records of course.
    +1 rep for you both! I am subscribing. Good thread. :ingo:

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Rattlesnake pole beans. As far as beans go, I love this variety. Got some from my dad about 3 years ago.

Oh, I love tomatoes too.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Rattlesnake pole beans. As far as beans go, I love this variety. Got some from my dad about 3 years ago.

Oh, I love tomatoes too.
    Count me in for some beans, as soon as I can harvest some tomatoes and get the seeds dried I'll be sure to put some up for you and PM you.

Question for all:
    When I harvest for seed I understand the "fermentation" necessary for the tomatoes, but how does the process differ for other things like beans, peas, corn, etc...?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I will have seeds this year from:
    2 heirloom tomatoes - A Burbank you don't have to stak and cherry tomatoes
    Brooccoli
    An Israeli melon that does very well in sandy soil
    Arugula
    Marketmore and lemon cukes
    Snow peas
    Others that I may have enough to trade, will post in late summer.

WATCHA GOT?
    I would love to offer something you don't have, but unfortunately this is my first year with open pollinated varieties. If you are interested in any of the tomatoes I come up with, I would love anything you can offer.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    ThrotttleJockey - we will work something out, just get your garden going and set your seeds aside. I will do the same.

I do not mind seeds of the same vegetable, as long as they are Heirlooms. The point is to keep a variety of each vegetable or herb type available so if any fungus or scourge whipes out one, there are other (hopefully resistant) choices.

This was a great thread, and it's worth will be evident NEXT spring, when all of the traded and shared seeds see fruition!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I'm in! Planting nothing but heritage plants this year, which will be interesting as I've not gardened in decades. So far, we've got bib lettuce, broccoli, shelling peas, pole beans, radishes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, cabbage and several varieties of peppers started.
    Keep us posted on seed harvesting techniques. I know I have a lot to learn.

Also, has anyone thought about community gardening?
    Many don't have space, but have knowledge. I have the space, but now expertise, though that's not keeping me from trying:). I'd be willing to share some of my ground and harvest with someone who can help on the knowledge end. A possible win win for all involved.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I'm in! Planting nothing but heritage plants this year, which will be interesting as I've not gardened in decades. So far, we've got bib lettuce, broccoli, shelling peas, pole beans, radishes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, cabbage and several varieties of peppers started.
    Keep us posted on seed harvesting techniques. I know I have a lot to learn.

Also, has anyone thought about community gardening?
    Many don't have space, but have knowledge. I have the space, but now expertise, though that's not keeping me from trying:). I'd be willing to share some of my ground and harvest with someone who can help on the knowledge end. A possible win win for all involved.
    From what I have read, if more than one variety of any vegetable is being grown the blossoms of the "fruit" intended for seed need to be bagged to prevent cross pollination and keep the variety pure. Aside from that, the fermentation of the tomato pulp is all I'm familiar with so it would be nice to hear some methods for various crops....

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    What is the advantage of heirloom seeds? I heard an old master gardener dissing them because they lack the disease resistance of hybrids.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    What is the advantage of heirloom seeds? I heard an old master gardener dissing them because they lack the disease resistance of hybrids.

Heirlooms are the 'Originals'. True they sometimes dont produce crops that are as big, and they do have some disease problems, but planting the right varieties of plants together can sometimes have the same effect of using hybrids.
    The advantage is you are able to collect seeds from your crop, year after year after year. This allows you to continue to grow them with less expense. In the event of a societal collapse, this will be important because without the supply chain to the local grocer, many people will go without essential veggies in their diet and become disease ridden themselves, among other potiential problems that I won't go into here.

Like any hybrid, the other plants are sterile and will not reproduce, (Horse + Donkey=Mule, Striper+White Bass = Wiper, both example products cannot reproduce and relay on outside manipulation to maintain a population) which means that base plants must be grown year after year to cross pollinate to produce the hybrids. An example of this can be seen in corn fields this summer. You'll see patches that have been detassled to keep those plants from pollinating to preserve the base plant variety for seed the next year.
    Also, these genetically altered plants are less tasty and have less nutrient value. The hybrids have been altered for commercial reasons; So a farmer can grow quickly, cash a crop, and grow again on the same land, to allow cross country transportation without spoilage, To allow mechanical harvesting, to name a few. The alterations have very little to do with consummer advantages.

Top Bottom