• ...and so much more!
  • Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    This is how you recover a RHIB on a Chinook.

We (SSN-611) could do the same with the DDS by not completely surfacing (decks awash).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz24kWbFxRY

[video=youtube;Uz24kWbFxRY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz24kWbFxRY[/video]

About 45 second mark where it happens

That is really cool. Looks a little dangerous but I am sure those guys know what they are doing.

I've been on Chinooks and been on zodiac boats but never both at the same time. :rockwoot:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Are you sure that's an AH-64? A prototype maybe? I've been around a few and it just doesn't look right to me.

ah-64d-apache-helicopters.jpg

I've had a few close calls. One that sticks with me is when a couple of AH-64's couldn't figure out if we were friend or foe and kept popping up over a hill to check us out. I was dreading hearing the pop-pop-pop of the chain gun or the whoosh of a missile each time they emerged. Our RTO was calling everyone they could think of to get the message to the Apaches that we were friendly.

How was it? Apaches had wheels, Cobras had skids? Both had a face like a hatchet. Narrow target.

Coolest chopper experience was watching Hinds patrolling the E German border in 1989 walking the border with the Scouts.
    That and flying under the St. Louis Arch when I was 8. Flow off a barge on the river. As I recall, that chopper had a falling down experience shortly thereafter.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That is really cool. Looks a little dangerous but I am sure those guys know what they are doing.

I've been on Chinooks and been on zodiac boats but never both at the same time. :rockwoot:

I've been on neither.
    Carried zodiacs and SDVs enough miles to probably go around the world at least once.
    And, earlier post I stated we could carry a RHIB. I looked at the pictures online, my mistake. We carried the zodiacs, though I swear I remember them being called zekes.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    How was it? Apaches had wheels, Cobras had skids? Both had a face like a hatchet. Narrow target.

Coolest chopper experience was watching Hinds patrolling the E German border in 1989 walking the border with the Scouts.
    That and flying under the St. Louis Arch when I was 8. Flow off a barge on the river. As I recall, that chopper had a falling down experience shortly thereafter.
    The experience with the Apaches was during Operation Just Cause. It was the Apaches first combat deployment. We had never worked with them before. Our Division Air was Cobras. The Apaches made us nervous mostly because they were an unknown factor and they were kind of mavericks flying around looking for something to engage and destroy. Blue on blue was a concern.

I saw a Hind at Redstone Arsenal flying around. I am sure it's much different seeing them with hostile pilots at the controls. I always wanted to go to Germany but never set foot in Europe unfortunately.

Last edited:

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Where did you get that pic? It's cool! I've never seen a F model in tan! I've never seen a F model without a AN ALQ 144. I didn't think we took those off until about 2005-2008. The last F model I flew was in 92-93. It was green with the dicso ball.

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    Where did you get that pic? It's cool! I've never seen a F model in tan! I've never seen a F model without a AN ALQ 144. I didn't think we took those off until about 2005-2008. The last F model I flew was in 92-93. It was green with the dicso ball.

Glad you liked the picture bkflyer! My late son and I were both heli heads and I've been going thru his photographs lately just to stay close to him.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As the child of a navy aviator (fixed wing), I've always been fascinated by these magical machines comprised of 10,000 parts moving in close proximity. :)

Some of my faves have already been referenced, but I've always thought this one look badass.

ka_50_black_shark_by_combat008-dc9p63o.jpg

Yes, the Sovs probably over-engineered it with the counter-rotating blades, but still... pretty awesome looking.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Helicopter story time

It was about 1992 January or so I was on a training exercise in Piñon Canyon Colorado about 150 miles from Ft. Carson we had been in the field for over 30 days in sub zero weather.

I had been on the advance party so I was selected to go back first. We went to the LZ area CH 47’s were coming in loaded about every 10 min. They would go to the sling load area first and drop the sling load and churn up tons of “moon dust” then proceeded to the LZ to unload more crap and Soldiers. Then fuel reload stuff and Soldiers then move to the sling load area for more crap in a sling load.

The helicopters are not like the nice pictures they were covered in grime with long streaks of dirt down the sides from leaking fluids. The crews were tired and grumpy we loaded up and moved to the sling load area to get more crap. I placed my M60 under the seat and went to sleep as we approached the airfield at Carson the Crew Chief opened rear doors the CH47 has a upper rear door in cold weather.

Something went wrong at this point a screeching noise and a bad vibration you could feel the pilot drop the sling load. We spun around a few times and slammed down on the ground the carrying handle for the M60 under my seat dug into my thigh hard as we hit.
    Then we bounced about five times as the Crew Chief slammed in every direction.
    I thought “great when they find my body I am going to have a M60 in my a$$”.

It settled down after that and we got off the CH 47 got on a bus I was too exhausted to give a crap I just wanted a shower.

Top Bottom