• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mojo2530

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Cedar Lake
    does any one have any expierience using hellgrammites as fishing bait. when i was younger a friend of mine introduced me to them, they are crazy looking little creatures and we spent quite a bit of time looking before we found any but with out a doubt the best bait ive ever used.

mrwil34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    fished with them for years, dont know a fish that will not take one. I used to find them in creeks and rivers with larger flat rocks. Use a minnow sane set down stream and flip rocks over.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I don't know that I've ever even heard of hellgrammites, let alone used them. I'll have to look for some this spring and try them out! I can't wait for warm spring mornings by the lake...

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    beemoths and local dug earthworms usually work pretty good for me.. the past few years my luck has been so bad I had resorted to buying power grubs and still nothing.. OH and I found someone had hidden my brand new tackle box because they broke it...

Mean Streak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    They are hard to come by now. Used to get them out of Flatrock or Fall Creek but with all of the pollution they are far and few between.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    For you fly fishermen, remember the mighty Woolly Bugger was originally developed to match the Dobson Fly larvae (Helgrammites).

"The Woolly Bugger is attributed to Russell Blessing of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, who's dressing of the fly was evolved from various smallmouth bass patterns, with the intention of representing the Dobsonfly larva. The date of origin is popularly recorded as 'early 1970s', though Ed Dentry of the Rocky Mountain News suggests 1967 as the date."

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    They are great for bate. The best part is that they will continue to move around after being hit by fish a few times. Just be sure that they do not sit too long in some rocks because they will crawl underneath the rocks and can get you hung up.

Top Bottom