• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hello,

My name is Gary. I live in Indianapolis and run a martial arts school as well as one of the most popular Mixed Martial Arts shows in the state.

I've researched online communities such as this for the past few days and have decided this looks to be the most informative and friendly place.

I'm an Army veteran who has toyed with the idea of purchasing a firearm for MANY years. I finally took the plunge and applied for my LCH yesterday. I've never been in any trouble of any kind, so I do not anticipate any problems there.

I do have a few "newbie" questions though. I'm sure they are probably common here.

1. Would you say it is better to conceal or wear in the open? Why?

2. If I chose to wear in the open, and I encounter people ignorant of the law, how do I approach this?

3. I am on a budget. I have 5 children living with me and 1 who does not. I don't have a great deal of $ to spend, but would like advice on something I can purchase in the $300-$350 range.

I'd like to purchase something in the next few days. With the current economical crisis, it does no good to prepare stocking food and such if I have no way to protect it.

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    :welcome: You'll find answers to all your questions in the various forums here. I recommend using the search feature at the top of the page.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Welcome to INGO. Stop by the Carry forum and look around! You will fnd plenty of used guns here for sale in the classifieds. Look around the handguns forum and get some ideas what might be the best weapon for you!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :welcome:ECF, glad you joined the forum!

1. So much a matter of opinion it should not be discussed in your introduction thread.
    2. Know the Indiana codes or carry them for your own reference.
    3. You will probably get some good suggestions.

*Scutter beat me to saying search the forum*:rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The problem is that when I search "conceal or open carry" I get 12 pages of results. I guess that's a good thing though, as that means there is more information available. The bad thing is that it will take me longer to find it, LOL

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    1. Would you say it is better to conceal or wear in the open? Why?

You will get a different answer from almost everyone on the board, with two decided camps. opencarry.org is a good site for the pros of open carry. I think there are pros and cons of both. I'm currently undecided on the matter.

2. If I chose to wear in the open, and I encounter people ignorant of the law, how do I approach this?

Look in the forums of opencarry.org and you will answer most of your questions, in addition to the many threads that encounters have been discussed here.

3. I am on a budget. I have 5 children living with me and 1 who does not. I don't have a great deal of $ to spend, but would like advice on something I can purchase in the $300-$350 range.

I'd like to purchase something in the next few days. With the current economical crisis, it does no good to prepare stocking food and such if I have no way to protect it.

My first purchase would be a good pump shotgun. That will do much better at protecting a home. An addition of a pistol would round it out. If you will only be able to get one, make sure your pistol is small enough to conceal, but big enough to shoot reliably.

I think the Kel-Tec P11 is a good concealable 9mm with 12 round mag, and can be had for around $300. You will get a slightly better pistol at the $400 level. If you can find a good used gun, you might find a Glock or XD at this price range. Not sure of other model. I would shoot for sized similar to the Glock 19/23. Big enough for home defense, but small enough to conceal.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    Welcome to the site. :)

I'll just echo everyone else. Search the forum. :)

And if you still don't find a satisfactory answer to your questions, start a new thread in the appropriate forum section. Your first question alone will generate days and dozens of pages of responses, even though it's already been thoroughly annihilated in several threads.

Thanks for joining, and we're glad you took the time to say hello! :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Does anyone make a "wallet reference card" with a brief summary of the current IN codes?

I wanted to inquire about a couple of items in the classified area, but I believe I must get my post count up to 10.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    1) Dear God not this again. You will find volumes full of disagreement. With any luck, this particular thread will not turn into that type of mess.
    2) By reading plenty, and educating yourself, you should find the ability to defend your behavior. Posting on this board will also hone your argument skills, which may come in handy when someone tells you that "You cant _____." Reading the Indiana code is dry but helpful. Find it at IN.gov
    3)Oh my, another big one. Consider two items- Used is not necessarily bad. Often it means that someone else worked out the hiccups. Occasionally, it means they were not able to. Secondly, higher cost is not necessarily better. Read the thread about HiPoints, where you will read praise for a <$200 pistol. Also, one of the mods started with an HK and ended up with a Glock. I'd be certain that was a price decrease.

This thread could quickly look like any other Sig vs XD vs Glock thread. There are plenty here, and you can form your own opinion. Be advised, plenty will give you advise, and upon trying that firearm, you may not like it. I can't stand peppermint ice cream. Others love it. However, it is still a highly functional, versatile, well liked ice cream (even though I dont like it).

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    3)Oh my, another big one. Consider two items- Used is not necessarily bad. Often it means that someone else worked out the hiccups. Occasionally, it means they were not able to. Secondly, higher cost is not necessarily better. Read the thread about HiPoints, where you will read praise for a <$200 pistol. Also, one of the mods started with an HK and ended up with a Glock. I'd be certain that was a price decrease.

This thread could quickly look like any other Sig vs XD vs Glock thread. There are plenty here, and you can form your own opinion. Be advised, plenty will give you advise, and upon trying that firearm, you may not like it. I can't stand peppermint ice cream. Others love it. However, it is still a highly functional, versatile, well liked ice cream (even though I dont like it).

1) He'd go back to the HK in a heartbeat if we actually had funds to have extraneous pistols. He got the Glock because mags and other accessories are more plentiful and much less expensive. That, and all the cool kids are carrying G19s. ;)

2) You can't trump chocolate raspberry ice cream. Peppermint ice cream is not on the list. TYVM. :)

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Welcome.

I am in the concealed carry camp. But my Dad raised me that way. I understand and accept that other people have a differing opinion. (He always said the other guy shouldn't know I had a gun until I pulled the trigger)

I second indyjoe's recommendation that the first purchase should be a pump shotgun if you are looking at defending the home front and food cache. If you want one for self defense out on the street, then obviously that is a different matter. I would suggest going to the gun shop and looking over what they have in the price range that you feel you can afford.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Welcome to the forum. Ten posts are nothing. Just read and comment or ask a question in the thread you are reading. It will go by in no time, don't be bashful but don't be rude either by asking a question that does not pertain the thread you are reading.

right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    :welcome: I would suggest going to Plainfield Shooting Supplies. Good people and good prices. Stay away from Don's Guns. The Indiana law is mute on open carry. So you can open carry. There are some police agencies that will give you some flack over open carry. Like the Vigo County Sheriff's department. If you encounter this. it is up to you how to deal with it. Personally I carry concealed. I want my Glock to be a suprise to the bad guys.:twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ECG ...

Open vs. concealed is going to ultimately be a personal choice. There are more occasions where concealed is a better option, as sometimes it's not a good idea to carry openly (e.g. in crowds; places where you know they don't want you to carry, but it's not against the law; etc.).

Don't forget in the gun budget that you'll need a good belt, a good holster, and something to carry a spare magazine or speed loader or two.

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom