• Status
    Not open for further replies.

starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hello from Hamilton County!

New to guns but already got hooked. I sent the application for lifetime permit to ISP almost a week ago and can't wait to get it through. Also got my sight for a first handgun on the Ruger Mark 1/2/3 and went to Indy 1500 on 1/10, found a shiny Mark 3 SS for $340 (probably could have gotten it lower if I haggle/look more) but got delayed due to background checks. I don't have criminal records, so not sure what spooked the FBI.

Lots of great information here, thank you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    :welcome:to INGO.
    The NICS delay may just be because you have no purchase history in their system. It doesn't mean anything is wrong. If they don't find anything wrong, the delay expires and you get your new gun. Enjoy!

starbury33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Welcome!

So was there just a time delay? Or do you still not have the gun?

I'm not very clear on how it works but the dealer said that it could go until Thursday (I was there on a Saturday) to get it cleared OR it could take just several hours. From the way he talked, I took it to mean that it would be closer to days than hours. I didn't close the sale but asked him to call me if he still has the gun when the background clears.

I should have included in the original post that the guy did call back several hours later. By the time I got his message though, I had already left the show and had agreed for a purchase with another dealer that is much closer to where I am. That first dealer was all the way in Seymour, which is close to 1 hr and 45 mins away from me. I kinda feel bad about this but I don't want to drive that far and I would have stayed with him if it were going to clear that quick. I also ended up paying more, although for a better Ruger Mark 3 model.

I wish I know why the reason for the delay was. I've never gotten a speeding ticket and my name is not an English name so there is no chance for a mistaken identity. My wife thinks it's because where I was born (let's just say it's a Muslim country) but I'm a legal resident and included my alien# and all that to show proof. Pretty embarrassing too when the dealers told me about the delay while everyone could hear him. The idea that it's going to be like this whenever I buy a gun is also disappointing. Is there a way I could clear my name or something so that future gun purchases be easier?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom