HELP 1911 feed issue what would cause this???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    so i have a springfield 1911 and the problem is when you rack the slide to put a round in the chamber it feeds kinda rough and bumpy. when i took bullet out to examine it the slug was jammed way back into the casing. I took a fresh bullet and fed it through the same way a few times and got the same result. how the crap do i fix this???

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Are you using factory ammo? Factory mags? Is it a new gun? Did you just buy it?
    I personally don't know what the problem is but there are people on INGO that can help you and these are the questions they will want to know. Good luck and welcome!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That can't be a Springfield. You sure it isn't one of those lowend Philippine made jobbies? :popcorn:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    have you changed anything? different ammo - different brand, different box, etc.

did you try a different ammunition after the issue popped up?

as others asked, are they factory, or reloaded?

my gut response, as a reloader, is a bad or no crimp.

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    If the original poster is new to 1911's some of the advise is meaningless. Remove the slide , remove the barrel drop a round into the barrel . It should be flush with the end of the barrel (hood).as you drop the round in the bbl. it make a plunk sound (free fall in ) It should fall out of the barrelwhen the bbl. is held pointing up.
    look at the feed ramp on the frame ,is it rough or polished.If rough the bullet can hang up on the roughness and the slide hitting the back of the brass can push the bullet into the case.
    Check your magazines and see how the cases are coming out ,nose down or up.
    If none of this helps take your gun to a smith and have him look at it .

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hollow points will do this on some ramps. Try Hornady's Critical Defense or stick with FMJs until a good smith can work the barrel as mentioned above.

I've got a CZ97 that just doesn't want the WIDE mouthed HP's and cycles FTX bullets just fine.

I don't just hand cycle them either. Splurge and fire a couple boxes down range. Your life is worth the expense.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The mag may be sitting too low in the frame. Only takes a couple of thousandths for this to be a problem. Try loading while pushing up on the magazine. could also be faulty magazine.

PLEASE DO NOT attempt to polish the feed ramp or throat the barrel unless you are well versed in the procedure. The loading cycle of the 1911 is such that the round doesn't really slide up the feed ramp. The nose of the bullet hits the feed ramp, bounces off and strikes the top of the chamber, then seats in the chamber. A rough feed ramp MAY hinder this, but not nearly as much as one assumes.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    We really don't know enough information about the problem to be able to tell for sure what is going on. Is the gun new or used? Are they the original magazines? What ammo are you using (bullet style and weight)? How many rounds have been fired through this gun? As in most things, the simplest explanation tends to be the right one. I'd go ahead and get a couple of Wilson 47Ds, Chip McCormick Power Mags or the Checkmate magazines with the hybrid feed lips. Those could cure your problem almost immediately. As far as the bullet setback problem, try to never chamber the same round more than once in a 1911. You'll find lots of information about bullet setback in places like 1911forum.com.

I can tell you that the original 1911 design called for a 230 grain round-nosed bullet. I know that Remington states in the owner's manual that their 1911 is designed to work with 230gr round nose full metal jacketed ammo and that anything else may or may not feed reliably. If it were my gun, I'd get some quality 230gr FMJ ammo and run at least 2 or 3 hundred rounds though the gun and let it work itself in.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2012
    walto and obijon best advise yet.
    walto: i will try this as soon as I get home as my wife says its not a good idea to field strip it in a restaurant at the mall lol
    2 everybody else: do not want to send it to springfield because I am under 21 and because of indiana laws could be a headache and looks to me like nose of FMJ slug may be hitting the breech and could be the mag; looks like its going up at kind of a sharp angle i'll keep everybody updated. i really appreciate the help again dont know what i'd do without yall :D

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Sounds like a magazine problem if it's pushing the bullet back in the brass. What Obijojn said or the mag lips need bent down a little. Sounds like the round is to high as the slide is retracted. Where are you located? Someone may be able to loan you a Mag to try.

:welcome: to :ingo:

Top Bottom