• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    So i made a thread about this awhile ago about my Para P14 Feed issue .

Well folks i bought a new magazine, Factory Para P14 Mag and i put some of this Estate ( i belive was the ammo ) and it was a absolute ***** to get all 14 rounds in the mag probably because its new, but anyways after getting all 14 rounds in i popped in into the P14 and grabbed the slide and rocked it back and let go and sure as ___ i had the feed issue where the round pretty much goes gets stuck going into the barrel and jams the bullet into the casing.

I have no idea what to do, i loaded the same magazine with Blazer rounds about 12 or so it fed with no problems, I'm not sure if my P14 only likes certain rounds but if i cant get this fixed, im going to have to sell it, no sense of carrying a gun that will jam and get me killed.

Does anyone know what is going wrong, or what i can do?

Thanks

-Angry P14 owner.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Can you slap the bottom of the mag to get it to chamber? I'm not a huge fan of double stack 1911's because not many people know how to get them to be reliable :-(

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I have a Mecgar mag, and using Blazer only and my Winchester HP i seem to have no issue, i just have no idea what is going on with this thing, and its becoming quite the pain in the ass.

gajones06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    the para double stack 1911s are known for this. Either they work or they don't. I have no knowledge on double stack 1911's but I have heard of this problem a lot!

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I have to and when i bought it the guy was like from Midwest Gun Exchange which is a reputable dealer up here in SB, swore up and down by it. I have had nothing but issues with the feed problem, its probably going to boil down, Ill sell it and get something reliable.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sorry dude, but *double stack* "1911"...there's your problem.
    They aren't designed for that... If you want a double stack, go with something that was meant to function that way from the ground up get-go.
    I'm not snarkin'...I'm just sayin'.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    They aren't designed for that... If you want a double stack, go with something that was meant to function that way from the ground up get-go.

+1....

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    The problem is that in a 45 (it's fatter and sits lower in the mag than a 9 or 40), a ramped barrel can be problematic no matter if it is a double stack or a regular single stack 1911. When compared to a traditional frame ramp you will see that a frame ramp goes farther down into the frame and will help prevent nose dive failures. It will probably need to be sent to a smith if you ever want it to be 100% reliable.

Others will tell you to get an EGW high rise mag catch and that may help. SVI makes one that sits even higher. To me that is just a bandaid, but it will not hurt anything, and if it gets you where you are going..........why not.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Never have this issue with either of my double stacks. Interesting.
    Get it fixed or be honest with whoever buy's it. Do not sell a malfunctioning gun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Well first thing is the Para mags only hold 13 rounds with the standard base plate. If you forced 14 in there it most likely couldn't strip the round out of mag with a hand rack of slide. Try 13 and see what happens.
    I sold several Para's when I had a shop and all of them worked like they were supposed to, a couple people had guns that didn't like certain brands of ammo but once they found what the gun liked they worked flawlessly.
    I have over 40k rounds thru 3 different Para .45 in competition and they are no harder to get to run than a single stack .45 IMHO
    I haven't messed with any of the newer guns so I don't know much about there current quality control.

Hint: if you got 14 in the mag take the mag apart and cut some off the bottom of the mag spring take a half a coil off at a time until the 14th round loads similar to the 13th round does now. The Para mag springs have lots of preload and run fine with a shortened spring.
    I have +2 base pads on my Para limited gun and put wollf mag springs which are 10% stronger and with trimming spring and a little follower work I have a couple that hold 17 .45's plus the 1 in the chamber.
    I believe Para redesigned their followers a while back so yours should be fine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Never have this issue with either of my double stacks. Interesting.
    Get it fixed or be honest with whoever buy's it. Do not sell a malfunctioning gun.

I actually prefer the feeding characteristics of a double wide mag in the 1911 over a single stack. Plus the extra ammo is pretty rockin'.:rockwoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Well first thing is the Para mags only hold 13 rounds with the standard base plate. If you forced 14 in there it most likely couldn't strip the round out of mag with a hand rack of slide. Try 13 and see what happens.

Current (since 1994 or so) Para-Ordnance P14 magazines are designed to hold 14 rounds and do so without issue. The originals back in the early 199s (most of which came with fame kits, not complete guns) held 13.

The first version of the Mec-Gar P14 magazines also held 13. Most of the places that sell them online have this version. The newer version holds 14, but I can't comment on how well they work.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    The problem is that in a 45 (it's fatter and sits lower in the mag than a 9 or 40), a ramped barrel can be problematic no matter if it is a double stack or a regular single stack 1911. When compared to a traditional frame ramp you will see that a frame ramp goes farther down into the frame and will help prevent nose dive failures. It will probably need to be sent to a smith if you ever want it to be 100% reliable.

Others will tell you to get an EGW high rise mag catch and that may help. SVI makes one that sits even higher. To me that is just a bandaid, but it will not hurt anything, and if it gets you where you are going..........why not.

If i take it to a Smith what do i tell him or tell him he needs to fix? Not exactly sure on the technical side of things lol.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    If i take it to a Smith what do i tell him or tell him he needs to fix? Not exactly sure on the technical side of things lol.

Well, if he is a 1911 guy and you tell him that it's a ramped barrel and is nose diving he should know what to do. Just make sure he is a 1911 guy. There are a lot of gunsmiths out there and just because they are trained as a gunsmith means very little.

Basically the barrel ramp will need to be smithed so it does not sit proud of the frame and at the same time keeping the 31.5 degree angle of the ramp. More angle is okay but less is not wanted. Then polish nicely.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Current (since 1994 or so) Para-Ordnance P14 magazines are designed to hold 14 rounds and do so without issue. The originals back in the early 199s (most of which came with fame kits, not complete guns) held 13.

The first version of the Mec-Gar P14 magazines also held 13. Most of the places that sell them online have this version. The newer version holds 14, but I can't comment on how well they work.

I've got a P14-45 and NONE of my high cap magazines hold 14 rounds. ALL of my magazines (I have 8)......factory Para or Mec-Gar (all are 2001 or newer mags) only hold 13 rounds. P14-45 means 14 rounds with ONE IN THE PIPE and 13 in the mag.

You already said 12 Blazers work fine. Try only 13 in the mags and see if your problem goes away.

PS My P16-40 mags only hold 15 rounds also. No failure to feed on them either. Some are old style with the steel baseplate and some are new with the plastic baseplates.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I've got a P14-45 and NONE of my high cap magazines hold 14 rounds. ALL of my magazines (I have 8)......factory Para or Mec-Gar (all are 2001 or newer mags) only hold 13 rounds. P14-45 means 14 rounds with ONE IN THE PIPE and 13 in the mag.

You already said 12 Blazers work fine. Try only 13 in the mags and see if your problem goes away.

PS My P16-40 mags only hold 15 rounds also. No failure to feed on them either. Some are old style with the steel baseplate and some are new with the plastic baseplates.

Thanks i will try that one and see if that solves my problem

Thank you!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's interesting. Everyone else's Factory Para P14.45 mags hold 14. I'm not going to argue with you about this, but if you can't get 14 rounds into a FACTORY P14 mag, you've got a problem either with your mags or how you're trying to load them. Your Mec-Gar mags are likely to be intended to hold 13 rounds (their 14-rd mags are new and most places don't have them), but I'm talking about the magazines that Para-Ordnance makes themselves.

The magazine in my gun right now has 14, as do the two spares on my belt, as does the 4-5 loaded mags in my console. And the other couple of dozen I have all hold 14 rounds too, except for those with extended base pads that I used to use for my Limited gun, which hold more.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had my P-14 Limited at the range yesterday and ran 200 rds. through it with out a hitch. I like that gun.
    I have gotten in the habit of loading just 12 in each mag as it gets real hard to top them off. At the range it is no big deal. I have 2 mags that are 20 rd. units if I feel threatened. They run fine as well.

Top Bottom