• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm using accurate no 2 started at 3.6 and I'm up to 4.5 now. The max load it 4.6. If it still does not enject is it safe to keep going up?

I would not exceed max charge, you take a chance of over pressure. Are you getting your load data from a manual or from the powder manufacture? I'm using load data from Hodgdon. My manual did not list a charge for 115 grain FMJ bullets. I'm charging .1 grains under max charge for TiteGroup powder. I have tested 150 rounds and they have all functioned properly. Honestly, I would try a different powder, before I did anything else.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I loaded some 9mm 115 grain cp rn with 5.2 grains of accurate no 5 ( that's the starting load in my lee book) and the cases did not eject and some of them jammed on the way out. Any ideas why???

I'm using acuarate no 2 started at 3.6 and I'm up to 4.5 now. The max load it 4.6. If it still does not enject is it safe to keep going up?
    Please make up my mind. Are you using #5 or #2? It's difficult enough troubleshooting on the internet, even more so if you don't provide us with accurate data. If you are using both, please stick with one until we've resolved your problem.

My lee book says 1.169 for max oal and 1.100 for min. I was loading 1.129 and working up my charge but they are failing to eject. Some stay in the chamber but most stove pipe. I am now at the max and are about ready to test them. If they don't eject I dot really know what to do from this point.
    Is this what happened during the load one fire one test? If not, at what point did they start failing to extract? Your initial problem was failure to eject.

454comp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i have a problem with my 5906 and re loads as well, the shells seem to just sort of fall out of the gun (not ejecting very far) never had any fail but they dont preform as well as factory rounds

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    i have a problem with my 5906 and re loads as well, the shells seem to just sort of fall out of the gun (not ejecting very far) never had any fail but they dont preform as well as factory rounds
    If you've never had a failure, how is it a problem? By perform, do you mean that they are not as accurate as factory?

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    The gun I am having issues with is my 5906 as well. I am using the load data from accurates web sight. I have both #5 and #2. But they both do the same. I was low on #5 so I went to get more but they were out of it. So I tried #2 since #5 wasn't working. Starting to wonder if it's my gun causing me problems. But I have shot reloads thru it before. Just not my reloads.

Last edited:

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    I haven't hade one successfully eject yet and no I haven't had time to go up to the range yet to try the test. If everything goes well tomorrow will be the day.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Anderson
    I actually purchased the Lyman handloader's guide which not only gives you good starting loads and max loads but the factory load specs too. Sometimes too little charge is just as bad or even worse than a charge that is too high.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    I found the problem. I checked my dies and my crimp die was not adj correctly and there was no crimp being put on the rounds. The max load was still the only ones to cycle thou. The mid loads would cycle and fire but did not lock the slide back. And the starting loads still stove piped.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I found the problem. I checked my dies and my crimp die was not adj correctly and there was no crimp being put on the rounds. The max load was still the only ones to cycle thou. The mid loads would cycle and fire but did not lock the slide back. And the starting loads still stove piped.

I would try some TiteGroup.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Unusual that it would require a max charge of #2 or #5 to cycle properly. Did you adjust your crimp prior to shooting the "mid" charges?
    Solo 1000 or 231 would also work well.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    I set my crimp to a light crimp because I'm using plated bullets. The manufacture told me if the crimp is to tight it will mess with the accuracy of the bullet and pull the plating off.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Unusual that it would require a max charge of #2 or #5 to cycle properly. Did you adjust your crimp prior to shooting the "mid" charges?
    Solo 1000 or 231 would also work well.

I set my crimp to a light crimp because I'm using plated bullets. The manufacture told me if the crimp is to tight it will mess with the accuracy of the bullet and pull the plating off.

It does seem unusual.

Are you using data for plated ? I wonder if your source has backed off on their load. I am not familiar with the Accurate line of powders, but would be curious if you are using lead/plated data just how that would compare to data for a jacketed bullet in the same weight.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    I am going to load some more test rounds and see how they fire thru my glock. I am kinda thinking now that my springs In my smith are a little heavy.

Top Bottom