• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Marc, I would be willing to drive (and if you read some of my posts you'll know that I will not drive very far due to disabilities) to talk to him. It's that important to me to see a fellow vet obtain help for his personal problems.

I ate lunch at my American Legion yesterday with an 80 year old Army vet (Big Red 1 unit) from WWII. He shared a few war stories with me and kept saying, "I don't know why I'm talking about this. I never talk about this. Why am I talking about this?" He had tears in his eyes, his voice was cracking and he kept shaking his head. He told me that he had kept almost everything from the war inside of him all these years because he saw no need to "burden" - as he put it - anyone else with what he saw/did/heard all those years ago and he said he was reconsidering his stance of "just man up and take it" that he had maintained all these years.

I don't want to see your brother bottle up whatever is eating at him and live all those years with it. And if he is drinking/driving like you say he is, he may not live all that long.

I'm not trying to guilt you into making any decision about your brother, but if he's hurting, there's help available and people who care.

Peace.

You're a good guy. The world would be a much better place if more people took a page out of your book.;)

well turns out last night he went to an AA meeting and he also went to one today at noon so he is moving in the right direction.

Great news...I'll send a prayer or three his way that he keeps up the trend.:yesway:

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    cutting ties is something i am considering if he keeps this up, also my mom asked him if he would like to be a part time dad cause his wife will not put up with it and leave him and find someone else and his daughter will have a new dad. also i told him that he is going the path of our uncle who is also a drunk and has nothing lost his wife house and kids. something else i have been thinking about is alcohol ruins so many more lives than guns, maybe the government needs to redirect its focus. not trying to turn this into one of those threads but still look at the statistics.

Why do we blame objects instead of people ! did the bottle of (you name it) jump up and attach itself to his lips or did the gun jump in the hands of a troubled person and kill !
    sorry for the rant and it sounds like he has started down the right path even though it will be a long one!

redfireman1969

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    indpls
    Why do we blame objects instead of people ! did the bottle of (you name it) jump up and attach itself to his lips or did the gun jump in the hands of a troubled person and kill !

:rolleyes: wow

positive note glad he is seeking help and is ok, recovery is a hard road . been there its a fight for life will pray for him

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Marc, I would be willing to drive (and if you read some of my posts you'll know that I will not drive very far due to disabilities) to talk to him. It's that important to me to see a fellow vet obtain help for his personal problems....

Peace.

Repped. This is impressive.

Marc, my last drink was on the Marine Corps birthday in 2000. This coming November, I'll be sober for 10 years on 11-10-10... hadn't thought of it that way before, but you can be sure I'll be buying a lottery ticket on that particular Wednesday.

I'll say that (1) if a guy is ready to quit, there's nothing that's going to get in his way, and (2) if a guy is not ready to quit, there's nothing a brother can do to make him stop.

The most we can do is to live an example, and stand ready if/when a brother reaches out. When I'd had enough, when I was tired of puking blood and losing friends and flooding my apartment and wondering why there were broken capillaries in the whites of my eyes and crashing cars and getting into fights and having no money, I didn't reach out to the drunk on the other side of the pool table. "How come we're so jacked up, huh? You got any answers over there, Tommy?"

Instead, I called the friend I knew was making it work.

"Rod?"
    "Yeah?"
    "Are you still going to those meetings where they talk about not drinking?"
    "Yeah."
    "..... will you take me?"
    "I'll be there in a hour."

Sending good thoughts the way of your family, and hoping that your brother has somebody like BTS to reach out to when he's really ready.

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Repped. This is impressive.

Marc, my last drink was on the Marine Corps birthday in 2000. This coming November, I'll be sober for 10 years on 10-10-10... hadn't thought of it that way before, but you can be sure I'll be buying a lottery ticket on that particular Wednesday.

I'll say that (1) if a guy is ready to quit, there's nothing that's going to get in his way, and (2) if a guy is not ready to quit, there's nothing a brother can do to make him stop.

The most we can do is to live an example, and stand ready if/when a brother reaches out. When I'd had enough, when I was tired of puking blood and losing friends and flooding my apartment and wondering why there were broken capillaries in the whites of my eyes and crashing cars and getting into fights and having no money, I didn't reach out to the drunk on the other side of the pool table. "How come we're so jacked up, huh? You got any answers over there, Tommy?"

Instead, I called the friend I knew was making it work.

"Rod?"
    "Yeah?"
    "Are you still going to those meetings where they talk about not drinking?"
    "Yeah."
    "..... will you take me?"
    "I'll be there in a hour."

Sending good thoughts the way of your family, and hoping that your brother has somebody like BTS to reach out to when he's really ready.

Would like to say that if he REALLY wants to stop, get a hold of me, and I'll help however I can. 21 years in .mil and 18+ years sober. Let me know. BTW my car gets excellent gas mileage so as long as my schedule allows I'd like to help.
    To all the people just blaming, and saying just stop. If you have never had the problem you have NO idea what it's like so maybe you should think and learn more about it and type less. Anybody that wants to discuss this with me please contact me via pm or email so as not to hijack the thread. The man asked for help for his brother so maybe we can stick to the topic?
    Bob

Last edited:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Glad to hear all is well and your family is trying so hard to get him help. I've seen too many families let go and let them make their bed and lay in it too. Good for you all. Don't give up on him.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom