• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Could it be a small revolver? OP asked for a 9mm single stack, but don't discount a revolver - there's even a Ruger LCR in 9mm (that uses moonclips).

Another note regarding my EDC Shield. It is lightweight, but It's not quite as light as i had origianlly hoped for (coming from G23).

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I carry a Kahr CW9 and really like it. I shot it side by side with a shield and prefer my kahr. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I love to carry single stack. Spare mags are also easy to carry.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    From your list the Shield is the obvious choice. Get over the light trigger idea and consider an Apex upgrade for the Shield..
    Concentrate on keeping your finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target. 99.9% of the time an ND is caused by a finger on the trigger, nothing else.
    the less you disturb your sight picture when pressing the trigger the more likely you hit your target and a smooth light trigger will allow you to do just that. It's all about hitting what you're aiming at and no matter what you miss with, your target will be unaffected. Just MHO.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

Last edited:

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Any reason you want a single stack as a carry gun? What size are you looking for? Compact? Subcompact? I can recommend a couple that you do not have listed if you want a compact. Don't look past SIGs. They'rr expensive, but there's a reason they're expensive.

I used to carry a SIG P6/P225. Same size as the the P229, but slimmer because it was a single stack. Best part about those, you can find them for the price of a Glock pretty easily.

SIG P938. People swear by these guns. I've yet to get my hands on one to shoot it, but they feel great in my hands.

ncuster852

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Now that the prices of the XDs have fallen closer inline with the rest of the market, I would see no reason not to get one of them. There is a level of consistency you would be able to maintain by staying with the same brand. That being said, if you like one of the others, the differences in operation are probably not so huge that you couldn't easily adapt. Except maybe the Walther if it has the euro mag release.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    With regard to the Shield, the sight dots fell out on mine, and then the compound recoil spring broke. They resisted replacing it mightily, but finally sent a new one. I frankly find it unbalanced, for my hand of course...

Had issues with sights too... It's best to just buy some quality night sights for it and be done IMO.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Not on your list, but I like the Sig P938.
    I am also a fun. The Sig and Kahr alternate as BUGs really just depends on the pocket its going in... Some times the pocket is too small for the sig/my jeans are too tight!

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Any reason you want a single stack as a carry gun? What size are you looking for? Compact? Subcompact? I can recommend a couple that you do not have listed if you want a compact. Don't look past SIGs. They'rr expensive, but there's a reason they're expensive.

I used to carry a SIG P6/P225. Same size as the the P229, but slimmer because it was a single stack. Best part about those, you can find them for the price of a Glock pretty easily.

SIG P938. People swear by these guns. I've yet to get my hands on one to shoot it, but they feel great in my hands.

Thanks for not forgetting the wonder of the P6/225... I kept scrolling down to see if anyone would recommend it. You can't beat the butter smooth action of a P6 that is probably older than some users on INGO. :D

Last edited:

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Since you already have an XDm, I would lean toward the XDs. The look, feel and function are all pretty similar. But in the Springfield lineup you might also consider the new XD Mod 2 in a 9mm. It isn't a whole lot bigger than the XDs 9mm. Granted it is a double stack. But check out the dimensions.

I'm not a big fan of the factory trigger on the XD lineup, or really any polymer for that matter. With the XD and XDm, you can easily swap them out for the Powder River Precision Drop-in Trigger Kit. It makes a huge difference in the travel, reset and pull weight. And it really isn't hard to install. I was able to do it on both my XDm's by watching the youtube video in just under 30 minutes. With the XDs the only option you have is a PRP Spring Kit to reduce the pull weight. It does lighten the pull if that is your only concern. But you are still stuck with the longer travel and reset. And be forewarned... There are 6 springs included in the kit. 5 of them are relatively quick and easy. But 1 is a complete pain! I spent an hour trying to figure out how it goes in there and trying to get it installed right. My advice would be to take pictures with each step along the way before you remove the factory springs. The youtube videos don't give you a clear pic or idea of how to install it.

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    My son just got a LC9s. I like it more than I thought I would. Only $299 from Gunbuyer.com. My other son has a Shield and said he wouldnt trade but still liked the Rugers new trigger. I have an XDs in .45 and like it a lot also. Cant go wrong with either choice I dont think

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought that S&W had improved the trigger on the Shield? Isn't it suppose to be better than the regular M&P's?

The Shield had a better trigger, but a salesman at a LGS told me the entire M&P lineup was making the switch to the "Shield" trigger. I'm just repeating what I heard, never checked into it myself as I'm not in the market for striker fired guns.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The Shield had a better trigger, but a salesman at a LGS told me the entire M&P lineup was making the switch to the "Shield" trigger. I'm just repeating what I heard, never checked into it myself as I'm not in the market for striker fired guns.

I've had 3 M&P's and I can say the Shield has the best trigger of the 3, but that's not saying much. I've definitely be picking up an Apex duty/carry kit for mine. They're just that much nicer with the Apex kit installed. I've heard the trigger on the LC9s is very nice, but I just don't care for the styling myself. I would recommend the Shield, but that's just my preference. Of course, I'm thinking of picking up a 3" 1911 for carry some day... :):

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    So after handling some of the choices, I decided on the M&P Shield. I was really rooting for the XDs, but the feel of the Shield was better and I was surprised I liked the trigger more too. The XDs was heavy and mushy.

I ordered one from G and R Tactical without a thumb safety and with Ameriglo Pro I Dot night sights installed for $475 total.

Top Bottom