• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Had a breaker trip, lamp still wont come on at the recepticle, only getting 105v replaced recepticle am getting 105 from hot to nuetral and 124v from hot to ground, also checked the breaker am getting 124 from hot to ground, presume the breaker must still be bad?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    is the plug wired into a switch? could possibly be the switch. if not id replace the breaker next. that is actually a fairly easy process :)

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    another ? then
    are we sure the receptical is hooked up correctly?
    hots and neutrals on the right terminals?

another ?
    theres not a gfi receptical anywhere thats tripped is there?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    You've got a loose neutral somewhere. If you have 120v from hot to ground and less from hot to neutral, your neutral is bad somewhere. Could be loose at the panel or a receptacle that is upstream of the receptacle you are having problems with. Check the receptacles to the immediate left and right of your problem receptacle.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    You've got a loose neutral somewhere. If you have 120v from hot to ground and less from hot to neutral, your neutral is bad somewhere. Could be loose at the panel or a receptacle that is upstream of the receptacle you are having problems with. Check the receptacles to the immediate left and right of your problem receptacle.
    ^^^THis^^^

hornadylnl,

If you want a job PM me..

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    ^^^THis^^^

hornadylnl,

If you want a job PM me..

Thanks, but after tomorrow, I'll have 64 hours for the week. I'm busier than I want to be right now. :D Can't complain though, because just a short while ago, I was lucky to get 40 hours.

ETA: After dealing with 240 and 480 3-phase, 120vac and 24vdc controls, plc's, and a myriad of switches, I like a simpler problem. I've actually ran into the op's problem a couple times at work now. Makes it even more interesting when you have full voltage one moment and the next you don't. Makes you wonder if your meters working or not.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Op, are the wires bent around the terminals on the side, or are they just pushed in the back? Some people use the push in style receptacles as it's much quicker than actually looping the wire and tightening the screws. The push in style don't have near as positive of a connection as tightening the screw on them.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Op, are the wires bent around the terminals on the side, or are they just pushed in the back? Some people use the push in style receptacles as it's much quicker than actually looping the wire and tightening the screws. The push in style don't have near as positive of a connection as tightening the screw on them.

Good advice as well. Also a +1 on the GFI outlet. I've had a similar problem before and had a GFI outlet that had gone bad.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

+2 Bad neutral somewhere. I hate those push style connectors, they remind me of cheap stereo receivers. They usually don't work then either.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

That was my thought!

I'm not an electrician but I play one at work.:):

Top Bottom