• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I got my eyes examined and got a prescription focused for my front sight. I sent the prescription off to Randolph Engineering. I got a few different lenses for my glasses. It wasn't cheap, but now I can see my front sight clear and the target well enough to shoot decent groups with my handguns to 25 yards +. Here's what I got: https://www.randolphusa.com/re-rang...le=skull&attribute_pa_lens-features=undefined

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Official Details on Aimpoint's new ACRO P-1 Sight | RECOIL

I'm still not 100% sold on pistol red dots as being prime time ready, but 20k round durability testing is a step in the right direction. I'll give the market a bit more time to mature then maybe I'll jump in. So far my eyes are still pretty good, but not as good as they were. Particularly at night.

Well 20K with a .40 ought to be equal to about 140K with a 9mm according to several .40 shooters on here.:) JK.

If I wasn't such a stubborn older guy, with all the trouble I have with my eyes, I'd make the switch to a RD. But I keep working on it with iron sights. I have scopes on all my rifles now.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've used UltraDot red dot scopes for many years. One is slide mounted on a 1911 bullseye pistol. The only thing about the red dots is that us oldsters still have to get prescription eye glasses to get a focused and round image of the dot. Aimpoints are very high quality, but relatively heavy expensive. Also, when Aimpoint changes to a new model, they pretty much abandon support of the former model. There are quite a few makers of these things these days, from cheap China junk to high quality products.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm thinking Jim Cirillo had the right idea with the alternative sighting method he developed after his eyes started to age and he couldn't see the sights. He started looking at the back of the gun which he could see clearly enough and knew what it should look like when the muzzle was oriented properly at the target. Perhaps not as precise as using conventional sights, but good enough as long as you have good trigger control. Other people do the same thing using the top of the slide.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    That is an interesting idea... bet it was hard to retrain where to focus quickly.

Testing with dry fire here at the office and it is odd right off.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is an interesting idea... bet it was hard to retrain where to focus quickly.

Testing with dry fire here at the office and it is odd right off.

He had more limited options in those days and a track record of extreme accuracy (he was a PPC champion). When you're under 25 yards, trigger control matters more than sights. When you've over 25 yards, trigger control matters more than sights, but sights matter a little more. hehehehe

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    He had more limited options in those days and a track record of extreme accuracy (he was a PPC champion). When you're under 25 yards, trigger control matters more than sights. When you've over 25 yards, trigger control matters more than sights, but sights matter a little more. hehehehe
    By George he's got it!

Top Bottom