• ...and so much more!
  • top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    we generally shoot from 50 yds, but for kicks moved to 100 yds sunday.

shot suhl 150, 1 1/2 oz, benchmark 4 groove, harrell, one piece alum rest from bench.

used match and tenex from 1063 to 1077.best group was 3/4 moa with a 1/2'' flier shot by Ms IGW (much to IGWs dismay) shooting free recoil and taught by missy b.

the mid 1070,s grouped the best at the conditions of 61 to 66 deg, 2 to 4 mph from 9 oclock.

QUESTION: what speed ammo do you use at these temps and conditions?

sorry, no pics. all targets in trash.

i apologize if you don't understand question, but solicite your opinion if you do....daryll

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've used anything around 1000. It's simply more consistant and predictable. The heavier the better as well, for me anyways.

For some reason my Savage loves the cheap Remington green box stuff. Good for plinking...but I need to find something better to hunt with.

fasteddie48

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    pekin indiana
    match and 10x seams to loose alot of accury at 100 the lapula seem to hold a better group at 100 wolf match target seems to be good at 100 too. i only shoot eley at 50 to 75 i know alot of position shooter shoot it at 100 for ara and psl shooting i shoot black box or lapula at 50 usally around 1075

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm an avid shooter and what you posted is like French to me for the most part.

Daryll's talking about what I would call precision .22cal Bench Rest shooting. I witnessed it, when the bullets slowed down, the groups got tighters.

The wind was erratic at best, so in my Highpower Rifle mind, I'd blame it on the wind. But, he knows better than I do in this game. The behavior was repeatable. I brought my ancient 513-T and started with higher velocity Remington Match loads and it looked like a shotgun blast. Daryll gave me some slower Eley and the groups tightend up right away.

So the question stands (or in a different spin), do precision .22 shooters have better luck with low velocity rounds at 100yds and why?

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    pretty much the only thing i have tried is wolf match @ 100-300yds. i believe its a 1060 ammo but im not sure. but lets face it, me trying to answer a bench rest question of daryll's isn't going to go real well

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    So the question stands (or in a different spin), do precision .22 shooters have better luck with low velocity rounds at 100yds and why?

Conversely, is there a .22LR round that remains supersonic at 100 yards, and if so, would it be as accurate as a round that never goes supersonic? Is it the transition that causes the inaccuracy?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Conversely, is there a .22LR round that remains supersonic at 100 yards, and if so, would it be as accurate as a round that never goes supersonic? Is it the transition that causes the inaccuracy?

yes it is the transition from supersonic to subsonic that causes inaccuracy. i tested supersonic ammo a few years ago. i believe it was fed bulk pack. i cant remember exactly where it happened but you could defintally tell when it wend subsonic because groups got horible. indygunworks was with me it seams to me the transition happened around 125 yds but i cant be certain

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    match and 10x seams to loose alot of accury at 100 the lapula seem to hold a better group at 100 wolf match target seems to be good at 100 too. i only shoot eley at 50 to 75 i know alot of position shooter shoot it at 100 for ara and psl shooting i shoot black box or lapula at 50 usally around 1075
    as in my first post i said we "generally" shoot at 50 yds. i've tried most of the lapua's and still have a brick of old Master L's but the eley's still shoot best in the benchmark barrel in my suhl.

trying to remember back in my early days of shooting eleys, thewarmer the temps, the slower round needs to be. conversly cooler-faster, so we have as slow as 1050 and as fast as 1085. the cooler air is much denser determining the need for faster speed.

this is why i asked what type of eleys others shot when temp is in 60's. granted, humidity and atmospheric pressure also come in to play when choosing speed also. basically we were all playing around.

thanks for all the responses and i welcome many more....daryll

Missyb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    If it's ok Dad I'll field this one... for benchrest in general we do indeed prefer scopes. The Suhl hosts a 36xWeaver... also we use Sightron Big Sky II. About half the time(dad) we include a Gene Davis lens that takes that 36 to a 46 power, fixed w/ adjustable A/O

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Ive always believed in shooting the fastest round i wanted to pay for, for any kind of match espessially. regular cci hollow points are my favorite (never have a sigle malfunction with them)

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    This might be a good question to post over at Rimfirecentral.com , there is a ton of knowledge there and i'm sure you will get plenty of opinions.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Before the expert (Daryll) gets back from work, I'll put in my :twocents:
    Given the conditions of the day, the rounds that were supersonic out of the muzzle were transitioning before 100 yds. It was evident they were not as accurate as were the subsonic rounds.

Instead of going up the velocity scale to prove the theory, we went down the scale... and got favorable results. As the vette-man stated, a bullet going transonic will become less stable. His experience on the day he tested occurred 25 yds further down range.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    thank you John for the flowers..........as far as rimfire central, thats what piqued my interest in accurate rimfire.

reading the posts on here, theres a lot of misinformation out there regarding accuracy and rimfire. granted, we got lucky slowing down the rounds sunday and got much better groups in all the firearms shot. had the temperature dropped or the humidity rose dramatically, we would have had totally different responses posted here.

again, i want to apologize to all who didnt understand my first post. but to those that did, i appreciate your input.

i want to be the first to admit that the human involved in pulling the trigger of any firearm is the first problem in accuracy. after that is the rifle (in this case) and how it is set up. in rimfires, no two guns, no matter how exactly they are set up will shoot the ammo the same way. that said, the people who like cci's or fastest they can get like the way their firearms shoot.

rimfire central was brought up, check out some of their advertisers. people who sell concentricity guages, rim thickness guages, weighing each round and grouping them, eley, lapua, rws, cci, etc. etc. etc. shooting accurately with rimfire is a study far greater than centerfire, (dont get mad guys) because you have to BUY your ammo instead of building it to fit your barrel.

i appreciate all respondents and hope we get a chance to shoot together sometime....daryll

Top Bottom