• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wonder if anyone can assist with a decision I am trying to make. I have the following gun: DPMS LR-308 7.62 Nato with a 20" Mike Rock Barrel and standard stock. It has a Horus Scope 3-13x50.

I'm about to sell my Marlin XLR 30-30 Stainless with a Leupold 3.5-14x Scope.

I bought a NightForce NXS 5.5-22x50 Zero Stop scope.

I want learn shooting at greater distances, 300-1000.

I'm considering buying a Remington 700 5r MilSpec chambered 308.

My question(s):
    Will the Remington 5r Mil-spec be that much more accurate than the DPMS?

If I don't buy the Rem I'll likely change out the base stock on the DP for a Magpul PRS.

So, any thoughts?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    That really depends on how accurate your LR-308 is now. Many of them are moa or better right out of the box, yours has had some work done on it.

The 5r as stock will most probably be capable of .75moa or better.

Assuming the ammo is tuned for the respective rifles, the biggest question I see is: are you a good enough shooter to know the difference? I know I am not, and I precision shoot a fair amount.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The LR is pretty accurate. Definitely shooting sub MOA at 100rds. (But that is admittedly short.) It's currently with the builder trying to resolve a feed issue. Rounds are not fully seating on too many occasions. (Using commercial rounds (Federal and some MagTech for plinking.)
    Becoming a proficient long range shooter is a goal.

As for Ammo I am not yet doing reloads. That may affect some responses. (I should have included that in the initial post.)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Well, I have an LR-308 and a 700 sps. I think there's a lot of value in learning to precision shoot on a bolt action rifle. Once you reload it also gives you a lot more flexibility in your loadings. Quite frankly if you are going to learn precision shooting you'll quickly need to start reloading since that is the only way to tune ammo to your rifle. Factory loads can approximate, but each rifle has its own personality and being able to adjust up and down a couple tenths of a grain in powder charge is great. So once you've gotten the rifle solid, the glass and mounts solid, and your shooting solid, the last variable is the ammo and the only way to solve for that is to load your own.

So I say go for the 5r, it's a fine rifle and a good platform.

slcorson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    for precision shooting out past 800 yards, the bolt action is hard to beat. the remington 700 has been around for ever and is battle-tested. savage is also getting alot of good press in recent years with their button-rifle barrels, accu-trigger, and sub moa right out of the box. i think the 5r barrel system is the same as the military m24, but not 100% sure on that - worth checking though. good luck!

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the assist and info...
    I went ahead and ordered the Rem 700 5R. It appears to be a great gun and is likely more then accurate for me to learn and grow with for a reasonable price.

In case anyone wants to read a review, here is a link

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    I got savage that shoots 1/2" at 100. Love it if you are learning to shoot out to range I wood start at 100 then go to 2 then 3 and so on. Learn your clicks and keep good notes. With a good hand load my savage is shooting 4" groups at 500 yrds.

Top Bottom