• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Interesting that they would have already embalmed her without papers signed. That said, they will still expect paid for embalming even in the event of cremation largely cancelling the savings at this point, unless they legally can't hold the family to paying for a service they didn't sign for/authorize. Assuming that the family is on the hook for the embalming, from there you are looking at, provided the right cemetery is chosen, a few hundred dollars for a plot (ranging up to the price of a lot to build a house if you go to the wrong cemetery), a few hundred for grave diggers, whatever the cost of the apparatus used on site, and a marker, which the little sign with the slide-in letters will suffice until such a time that funds are available for a more permanent marker. One of the biggest variables is the casket. One option is renting a nice casket for the funeral service and transferring to the, well, economy model for burial. Careful use of these options should keep the tab under $5K unless the funeral director is being a real dick.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If she was really penniless give the township trustee a call and they can help take care of it. Also to save a bit you can transport them to their grave in a POV. My grandpa wanted a last ride in his truck so we loaded him into the bed and ratchet strapped him in. the funeral director said it happens quite often. Saved his wife several hundred dollars and he got his wish.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have some important information to be shared.

For the township to pay for a funeral the decedent may not have any life insurance. You may not even assign over the life insurance to the township for them to use. So if grandpa has an olde $500 policy that won't cover squat for a funeral the simple existence of that policy will prevent the township from covering any part of the funeral.

Just an FYI.

Regards,

Doug

Caveat - This at least applies to Allen County, Indiana. I don't know about other counties.

Top Bottom