• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I recently picked up an AK 47 and absolutely love everything about the rifle. It shoots well, provides the positive feedback I expect when shooting a rifle and the trigger is awesome. A little while after that I decided to get an AK 74 and finally got it out to the range to shoot it. Well, I was disappointed to say the least. It just wasn't as much fun as shooting the AK 47. The recoil was a bit light, which I expected, but it was almost like shooting my son't .22. Besides, if I have to buy surplus ammo for it, I would probably want something I can reload. I know this doesn't make much sense, but I can't even own a 9mm pistol because they just don't give the feedback I need to feel good about shooting them.

So, with everything that is going on right now, what should I do? Is there another caliber that I can consider? Are there other rifles out there that I should consider, like an M1A? What rifles do you enjoy shooting and why?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You might consider an AR10 or the M1A SOCOM if you want some feedback

coyoteslayer22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    I would have to agree on the 45/70. A 308 has a little bit of feedback too. If you are also wanting a pistol with feedback go with the 500 smith and wesson or 454 casull

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Is there anything out there that doesn't fall under the current price scare that I can consider? I don't recall M1As costing $2,500, but that's what they are going for right now. Maybe I'm too late for one of those and a handgun would be a better direction?

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Keep the 47 you like.

Keep the 74 as a investment till you see what is happening with AWB. Plus now is a bad time to buy much of anything I'm convinced.

Buy a Mosin and a 440 can of ammo and shoot for awhile. Then sell said 100 buck Mosin for what you paid. You get time to get shoot and kicked till the marget clears and you will not lose any money.

Last edited:

coyoteslayer22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Anything semi auto has jacked way up..if you could settle for a bolt 308 30.06 300win mag all have a punch going from lightest to hardest

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    OOH!

This sounds like an excuse to go shooting!

I'll bring my M1A for Que to check out, maybe he'll let me shoot the 74...I've always wanted to.

-Paul

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    As has been posted above a Mosin Nagant 91-30 is a cheap bolt action rifle ($120~$150 arsenal refinished with pouch, bayonet, sling) with more "feedback" than my Garand or Eddystone 30-06. Ammo is fairly inexpensive around $100 for 440 Rds - though normally most is corrosive (not a big deal I have shot 100's of rounds, spray clean the bolt/chamber/bore with Windex, dry and clean normally and oil the same day as shooting and no effect). I would keep your AK as has been mentioned - don't know what the future holds. The Nagant will never sell for less than what you paid - mine are fairly accurate rifles, built like a tank. The round, 7.62x54R is close to 30-06 in performance.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Recently shot a friends .375 HH. Nice gun with good feedback and a crisp report. Also can be cut down according to certain sources for a legal Indiana deer round.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I already have Mosins and they are awesome. That M1A is really starting to look good.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I would love an M1A but haven't ever got the chance to get one. Love my M1 Garand though! I would stick with the 47 myself but if you're looking for feedback get an M1A. And :)

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Personally I would check your ego a bit if you think you have to feel recoil to feel like you are doing something. If pain is your deal let your woman beat you rear with a paddle and leave the "feedback" feeling at the door. The heavy recoil you are looking for is nothing but an ego thing. I shoot a .45 Sprinfield XD because I can control it well and it works for me. I also have 2 .32 caliber revolvers that will put a hole in a target or a person just as easily as the .45... I have several .22 rifles with light recoil and as a former Airborne Soldier who has been in combat deployments, a Sheriff's Deputy, and an Aikido teacher I can tell you I have no problem with my manhood when I dont feel heavy recoil. I love my Remington 870s (yes we have multiples) I like my Mosin /Nagants, and I have fired .50 caliber Barrets in the military and in civilian life and the recoil or "feedback" as you call it FLIPPIN SUCKS!!!

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Take a good look at the M1 Garrand. A membership to the GCA is only 25 bucks a year . You get get quartley publications that are really well done and you get the right to go to CMP and pick up your new baby buying direct. I felt as a pligram must first stepping on the soil of mecca. To be on such hallowed ground. The people are nice and more than helpful.

This rifle will be one you may not shoot all of the time but it will never disappoint you and you own a bit of history. Plus you will not lose money on this purchase. For now the prices are pretty stable.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Personally I would check your ego a bit if you think you have to feel recoil to feel like you are doing something. If pain is your deal let your woman beat you rear with a paddle and leave the "feedback" feeling at the door. The heavy recoil you are looking for is nothing but an ego thing. I shoot a .45 Sprinfield XD because I can control it well and it works for me. I also have 2 .32 caliber revolvers that will put a hole in a target or a person just as easily as the .45... I have several .22 rifles with light recoil and as a former Airborne Soldier who has been in combat deployments, a Sheriff's Deputy, and an Aikido teacher I can tell you I have no problem with my manhood when I dont feel heavy recoil. I love my Remington 870s (yes we have multiples) I like my Mosin /Nagants, and I have fired .50 caliber Barrets in the military and in civilian life and the recoil or "feedback" as you call it FLIPPIN SUCKS!!!

Wow, I didn't know you knew me that well, but you are right. I have experienced some uncontrollable issues concerning my ego, but you have helped me to overcome my demons. I'm sure if I were a Sheriff's Deputy and an Aikido teacher, I would feel a lot more comfortable in my skin. So, until I can get that training, which rifle would you recommend for someone like me?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Take a good look at the M1 Garrand. A membership to the GCA is only 25 bucks a year . You get get quartley publications that are really well done and you get the right to go to CMP and pick up your new baby buying direct. I felt as a pligram must first stepping on the soil of mecca. To be on such hallowed ground. The people are nice and more than helpful.

This rifle will be one you may not shoot all of the time but it will never disappoint you and you own a bit of history. Plus you will not lose money on this purchase. For now the prices are pretty stable.

That's a great idea! I quality to go to CMP through Appleseed, but I'll need to find my paperwork. :yesway:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine.

Top Bottom