• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I have this Model 14 Randall knife which is in mint condition. It has never been sharpened or used. The sheath does not even have a single scratch on it. It comes with a sharpener which has not been used either. The blade is stainless steel due to the "S" stamped on it. I bought this at a Indy 1500 show from a young boy who was with his father who said he got it from his grandfather. I wondered why anyone would sell a knife that was given to them from their grandfather???? Sorry about the bad picture my camera sucks.
    Any help is much appreciated.

RandallKnife001.jpg

Last edited:

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    The logo snaps on Sullivan sheaths started around 1/1/95 so that's a good place to start.
    If you look at the picture below you'll see the top Model 14 has really rounded finger grooves. It was made in the mid 80's. The green handled one below it has just slight contouring on the grooves. That knife was made sometime last year. Your knife seems to be contoured somewhere in the middle of those two.
    It's hard to pinpoint exact years for some Randall's as there are so many features that continue on for so long. I would guess mid to late 90's but can't say for sure.
    I hope you don't mind but I posted the pic (no info) on another forum for an answer. If anyone can tell those guys can. I'll let you know what they say.
    As to your question about a grandson selling it.........MONEY..........That's all that matters to most people anymore. I've seen people get dollar signs in their eyes when informed that the pocket watch that's been in their family for 100 years is worth $100.00. And when asked if they want to sell it they eagerly say "YES!" It's really sad. And the money they receive gets pi$$ed away on something that will mean nothing in a week.
    Anyway, sorry for preaching and congrats on the good score.
    By the way, a new one just like it from Randall will be around $465.00 and you'll get it sometime in 2018. Right now, from a dealer, around $550.00-$575.00.

Last edited:

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Thanks guys for your appreciated help. I thought the man at the Indy 1500 who sells Randall knives told us it was from the 70's but my memory is not always the best so he could have said from the 80's. I do know he did not say from the 90's but with everything I am reading it looks like it is from the 90's. This is one beautiful knife and in such great shape. I think I will sell it. Thanks again guys for the help.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Sheila, for what it's worth, I just sold a brand new 14 for $535.

I did not sell it on INGO, although I had it listed here. Here's the link to show you what a current model looks like:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/knives/342572-randall-model-14-a.html

I find it interesting to hear shootncut's post on the finger grooves-something I had not noticed before. Mine is a 2014 model but seems to be contoured more than the 14 he has from 2013. Maybe those grooves vary from knife to knife? Or depending on who did the handles?

Regardless, seems like the 14 has changed very little in the last few decades.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Does Randall not use serial numbers or at least a marking system to identify vintage and point of origin (like Buck)?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Does Randall not use serial numbers or at least a marking system to identify vintage and point of origin (like Buck)?

No there aren't any numbers. Blade grinds and contours, blade stamps, materials and options are used for identifying age. Surprisingly, the sheaths are as helpful in telling the age as the blades are in many cases. (As are the stones.) This of course assumes the sheath is original to the knife.
    Serious collectors can detect small details and date them better than the average person but I've seen them disagree on many occasions. And some models have changed so little over time that it's hard to get much closer than within 5-10 years.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    "I find it interesting to hear shootncut's post on the finger grooves-something I had not noticed before. Mine is a 2014 model but seems to be contoured more than the 14 he has from 2013. Maybe those grooves vary from knife to knife? Or depending on who did the handles?"

"Regardless, seems like the 14 has changed very little in the last few decades."

You're right about that. The details vary from knife to knife and from shop worker to shop worker.
    I've seen variations in point styles of the Model 14 like the top one in my picture. Some are slimmer and some are broader.
    The picture below shows four 8" Model 2's and the width, length and center spine varies from one to another. Although they follow a general pattern they are finished by hand by different people so no two are exactly alike.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Wow!

Awesome.

I have about 10 or so on order from the shop right now. Up next is an 8. I trade or sell most of them but I'll never get rid of my 25. I also have a 15 VST, which cost a hefty chunk of change but I REALLY like that knife.

I love these knives.

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Unfortunately I learned of the VST models a little late so I never got one. I really like them as well. I also have a Tom Clinton dealer knife, a mini Model 1 and a leather RKS #4. I just haven't gotten around to getting pics of them yet. I need to get a sporting Randall and I've narrowed the candidates down to a 5, 25 or 27. I just keep finding cool fighters and I can't resist. :whistle:

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Knife Lady and other Randall collectors, I found this (time-line chart) on a site that will help with dating Randall's.
    I hope this can help someone in the future.
    https://www.arizonacustomknives.com...spx?ReturnUrl=Randall-Made-Knives.aspx?Page=2

I asked this on another tread but since this is Randall specific ... Can anyone tell me why Randall uses 440B vs 440C Stainless ? From my understanding, B class is lower rated SS and softer metal
    after HT going to a RC of 55-58. With the lower Carbon rating, gives less hardness for edge quality but with equal corrosion resistance. So, why not the C series for the pricing ?

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    Knife Lady and other Randall collectors, I found this (time-line chart) on a site that will help with dating Randall's.
    I hope this can help someone in the future.
    https://www.arizonacustomknives.com...spx?ReturnUrl=Randall-Made-Knives.aspx?Page=2

I asked this on another tread but since this is Randall specific ... Can anyone tell me why Randall uses 440B vs 440C Stainless ? From my understanding, B class is lower rated SS and softer metal
    after HT going to a RC of 55-58. With the lower Carbon rating, gives less hardness for edge quality but with equal corrosion resistance. So, why not the C series for the pricing ?

I've often wondered this myself. And the 55-58 RC always seemed a bit soft for a good knife. But one has only to sharpen a stainless Randall once to realize that they're plenty hard for their intended purpose.

Top Bottom