• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    My uncle passed these along to me, suspecting they were 7.7 jap from the characteristics. They are CLOSE, but not identical. I believe the bullet to be a BIT wider, not by much. Possible 8mm bullet? The OAL of the case and diameter of case is barely longer on the 7.7 jap, except the mystery ammo has an obviously wider neck, that is a bit taller too. The closest I can assume is 8mm Mauser based on the diagram picture below pictures of this ammo.

I have two brands of ammunition here.

1. One is marked OV (possible OY, or AO upside down) with a sort of cursive writing opposite the letters. It has 3 indents that apparently seat the primer.

2. Second is marked 11 on top, 49 on bottom. Right and left have a 5-point star each. Also, 3 indents.

Actual pictures below are 7.7 jap vs. mystery! I think I'm pretty close in my guesses, but want to verify before I put this up for trade for something I can shoot.

Thoughts?

picture.php

picture.php

77x58forming-1.jpg

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    ammo

top round is an egyptian 8mm mauser. bottom looks like yugo 8mm. Of course if these are reloaded they could have been converted to another caliber.

Top Bottom