• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    A friend of mine bought these at an auction and nobody knows what the Square is for so i brought it to Forum for Help.
    They Printed on Heavy Paper, Heavier than Poster board. They are 15x8 1/2 inches outside ring is 4 inches and the Square ID is 3/4 of an inch
    What does the Forum say? Are they just targets or is there a Special use for them? IMG_7324.JPG IMG_7325.JPG

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I think it's upside down. Looks like a spin off from a bench rest target that someone has modified to create a bullseye to hit. The box (now on top) is an aiming square, your bullets go into the black dot for score. Just my guess...

Lpherr

Occupied
    Ok, educate an idiot...me.
    Why would you place your sight in the square. Wouldn't that result in a low shot?
    If your popping a hole in the square, wouldn't the center of the target give the same result; a hole placed where intended?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I think it's upside down. Looks like a spin off from a bench rest target that someone has modified to create a bullseye to hit. The box (now on top) is an aiming square, your bullets go into the black dot for score. Just my guess...
    That's a possibility. That would account for the sight offset on a rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I agree, the ole "Pumpkin on the fence post" with your front sight.

Ron
    Ok, educate an idiot...me.
    Why would you place your sight in the square. Wouldn't that result in a low shot?
    If your popping a hole in the square, wouldn't the center of the target give the same result; a hole placed where intended?
    I think Gaffer had the right idea. You cover the square with your front sight, placing the "pumpkin" of the middle ring on top of your "post". Obviously it would only apply to open sights, not a scope or red dot.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I think Gaffer had the right idea. You cover the square with your front sight, placing the "pumpkin" of the middle ring on top of your "post". Obviously it would only apply to open sights, not a scope or red dot.
    So, by doing that, it brings the barrel up?

Hunter12166

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Muncie
    A friend of mine bought these at an auction and nobody knows what the Square is for so i brought it to Forum for Help.
    They Printed on Heavy Paper, Heavier than Poster board. They are 15x8 1/2 inches outside ring is 4 inches and the Square ID is 3/4 of an inch
    What does the Forum say? Are they just targets or is there a Special use for them? View attachment 188815 View attachment 188814
    Some people set their sights up that way on pistols you'll shoot a little high from the square but you're not covering your target with the sights.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    On a bench rest target, the square aiming box is for your cross hairs, with the intent to put the bullets in a small group below your cross hairs to be measured with calipers. In trying to stack your shots, the square provides slightly different aiming points to let you change windage and elevation in pursuit of keeping the group small.

In this case, the large black dot appears to be some kind of bullseye for score shooting.

Again, just my take since the target looks like a modified br target.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, by doing that, it brings the barrel up?
    For a handgun, I really think it mostly depends on the gun and the sights. I have some guns that I use the "Dead On Hold" from the graphic that BT posted in post #10. I've also heard it called "Combat sighting". Depends on whether or not your sights are elevation adjustable I think.

These other guys talking about bench rest shooting may be correct though. I don't know if they're intended for that or handgun shooting.

Top Bottom