• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    So I stumbled across this old musket barrel this weekend... Some guy was selling it for $10 so I figured what the hell, if it's something... great! If not, I'm only out $10.

Anyway, it only has one marking that I can find. I did some asking around and I'm told it may be from a Model 1816 Musket converted to use percussion caps. It certainly matches everything I can find about the M1816 as far as length and caliber goes, but since it has only one marking and I haven't been able to find any references to it while looking up info on the M1816 I would like some second opinions.

It's about 46 inches from the tang to the muzzle, barrel itself is around 42 inches. Bore diameter measures about .70 with my calipers.

Pictures follow, if anyone can identify it and possibly point me to a source that can verify that would be great! :)

First off, the only marking I can find... I can make out a 'P' and I'm told it's actually a 'CP' inside a circle.

Here's a few views of the breech plug and tang.

What appeared to be a front sight of sorts, although some searching has determined it's more likely a bayonet lug.

One tenon, and what may have been two more.

Muzzle

Nipple, obviously a modern replacement...

Whole thing

Edit: On a interesting side note... I had this up next to my 91/30 last night. The 91/30 barely has 2 1/2 inches on it.

Last edited:

Frazier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Not being an expert, but PERHAPS it is a 69 cal harpers ferry conversiuon. You did not say weather the Bayonet tang was on the same side on what seems to be a rear sight. If it has a sight, it is a conversion, assuming it is as old as you seem to beleave it to be. It may even be an english trade barrell from the 1850's, etc........

Top Bottom