• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I currently own one Sig P320 carry but have a Rugar PCC and Kal-Tec that both take Glock 17 mags and have multiple mags for both the Sig, (G17 mags) and the PCC and Kel-Tec.
    I have enough money to afford two more HGs
    My question is which purchase makes the greatest sense:
    Buy two P320's
    Buy two G17's (which are $150 cheaper each than the p320)
    Buy one each of the P320 and G17.

Great thanks
    Art.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What are you trying to do with 2 more handguns?

Is the P320 your preferred platform, and you just want a G17 to match your PCCs? If so, then get another P320 and a G17.

Have you tried a G17 to see if you prefer it to the P320? If so, then if you really want to standardize for simplicity's sake, sell your P320 and the mags and buy a G34, G17 and G19.

It really all depends on your perceived needs, which only you can determine. But it is smart to have at least 1 Glock in your lineup, since you have PCCs that take those mags. Glock mags are so common, they could almost be a form of currency.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    ...you didn't say, but if a large number of your mags aren't the factory 33s, I'd suggest spending about half of your budget on changing that. Especially since you seem to like your PCC.

You didn't specify that you're completely Glockless either, but like R45 said, I'd also own a Glock (and do) just because you should probably own a Glock. It's likely the most common pistol platform in the country short of "revolvers" as a platform.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Two more handguns because I don't need any more rifles at this moment
    I'm only considering Glocks as I have Glock mags 17 round and 33 round. I don't own any Glock HG's just Glock mags I like Glocks just fine but love my P320 and have more p320 17 round mags than Glock 17 round mags The G17's (Gen 5) are over $150 cheaper then the P320 and I can easily find two G17's to buy at once, but finding only one P320 at a time. Mag cost is close enough I don't care.
    I originally chose the P320 over the G17 as I felt it was an all around better made gun and I liked the P320's trigger better and shot the P320 slightly better, but as I said I do own maybe a 6-8 G17 17 round mags (bought them both 17r & 33r a while back in a bulk buy along with P320, AR and S&W Shield mags) but own more P320 mags.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sounds like you are reasonably well set up with the P320. I’d recommend one of each. That gives you a backup to the P320 or a P320 that you can tinker with (thinking trying different grip modules maybe) and a G17 to compliment the two rifles.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If it was me (and it's not), I would standardize. Get rid of the Sig and go all Glock. And get rid of the Shield and get a Glock to replace it.

Since we are talking about you, I'd get one of each.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Sounds like you are reasonably well set up with the P320. I’d recommend one of each. That gives you a backup to the P320 or a P320 that you can tinker with (thinking trying different grip modules maybe) and a G17 to compliment the two rifles.
    If it was me (and it's not), I would standardize. Get rid of the Sig and go all Glock. And get rid of the Shield and get a Glock to replace it.

Since we are talking about you, I'd get one of each.
    One of each it is then.
    Thanks for the help and advice.
    I did seriously consider going all Glock but in my opinion I have to much time, money and mags invested in shooting and learning my Shield and P320 that I truly wish to stay with them. I simply shoot both so well I am unwilling (call me closed minded, stubborn even foolish) to change over to only Glocks.
    I have been carrying the Shield literally daily since the year it came out back in 2012 and have 12 mags for it 2-7 round and 10-8 round as I use it in IDPA along with my Sig, so I am understandably very hesitant to replace it with a Glock equivalent and at least for me I shoot it quite well and I have been carrying it and shooting it for so long it has become essentially and extension of me when I shoot it. I'm on my third recoil spring assembly (third counting the factory one) and I stopped counting rounds after somewhere around 9k rounds and just replace the recoil spring assembly every four years. I also did install some Apex upgrade parts to the internals to give it a better trigger as well.
    The Sig P320 I just flat out shoot well. I had a 9mm 4.25 M&P Pro but it was a Gen-1 and had significant accuracy inconsistencies and when the Sig P320 became available and I got to shoot one at my gun club in Feb or Mar of 2015 and literally had to make sure I wasn't dreaming I shot it so well. I stopped by my LGS on the way home that same day and they had P320 3.7" Carry with SNS on sale for a pretty decent price I took it as a sign from God and bought it. I originally wanted a full sized 4.7" model, but this was all they had due to the P320's popularity and it has served me superbly for over five years and about 6.5K+/- rounds.
    I simply have to much confidence and familiarity with especially my Shield and P320 to abandon them for the (admittedly significant) sake of standardization.

Again thanks for the advice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One of each it is then.
    Thanks for the help and advice.
    I did seriously consider going all Glock but in my opinion I have to much time, money and mags invested in shooting and learning my Shield and P320 that I truly wish to stay with them. I simply shoot both so well I am unwilling (call me closed minded, stubborn even foolish) to change over to only Glocks.
    I have been carrying the Shield literally daily since the year it came out back in 2012 and have 12 mags for it 2-7 round and 10-8 round as I use it in IDPA along with my Sig, so I am understandably very hesitant to replace it with a Glock equivalent and at least for me I shoot it quite well and I have been carrying it and shooting it for so long it has become essentially and extension of me when I shoot it. I'm on my third recoil spring assembly (third counting the factory one) and I stopped counting rounds after somewhere around 9k rounds and just replace the recoil spring assembly every four years. I also did install some Apex upgrade parts to the internals to give it a better trigger as well.
    The Sig P320 I just flat out shoot well. I had a 9mm 4.25 M&P Pro but it was a Gen-1 and had significant accuracy inconsistencies and when the Sig P320 became available and I got to shoot one at my gun club in Feb or Mar of 2015 and literally had to make sure I wasn't dreaming I shot it so well. I stopped by my LGS on the way home that same day and they had P320 3.7" Carry with SNS on sale for a pretty decent price I took it as a sign from God and bought it. I originally wanted a full sized 4.7" model, but this was all they had due to the P320's popularity and it has served me superbly for over five years and about 6.5K+/- rounds.
    I simply have to much confidence and familiarity with especially my Shield and P320 to abandon them for the (admittedly significant) sake of standardization.

Again thanks for the advice.
    Completely understand. I am on my second Shield and I'm sticking with it. I don't have near the rounds through it as you do but I'm working on it with each range visit. Like you, after awhile one has too much invested in the firearms and ancillary equipment. I have extra mags for both my Shield and my M&P 2.0 Compact plus I have a round worked up that runs in both just fine.

Some people desire the latest and greatest, but I'm sticking with the tried and true.

Enjoy your shopping and new additions to your safe!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I simply shoot both so well I am unwilling (call me closed minded, stubborn even foolish) to change over to only Glocks.
    Nothing stubborn or foolish about it. Glocks are not the "end all, be all" that some think that they are. It is certainly good to have one or two in your collection, due to how common they are. But with the possible exception of my G48, my Glocks are my least favorite pistols to shoot.

It's almost comical how much better I can shoot naturally with my M&Ps and other pistols with more natural grip angles and better ergonomics. Not that it's a high bar...a frickin' broom has better ergonomics than a Glock. But I have to really concentrate to not push shots low and left with just about any Glock. Not so with the others, they just shoot where I aim them.

The only exception is my G48. THAT pistol fits my hand well, and I seem to be able to shoot it about as well as my other non-Glock pistols. But I can take or leave a range day with just my G19 or G17.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Nothing stubborn or foolish about it. Glocks are not the "end all, be all" that some think that they are. It is certainly good to have one or two in your collection, due to how common they are. But with the possible exception of my G48, my Glocks are my least favorite pistols to shoot.

It's almost comical how much better I can shoot naturally with my M&Ps and other pistols with more natural grip angles and better ergonomics. Not that it's a high bar...a frickin' broom has better ergonomics than a Glock. But I have to really concentrate to not push shots low and left with just about any Glock. Not so with the others, they just shoot where I aim them.

The only exception is my G48. THAT pistol fits my hand well, and I seem to be able to shoot it about as well as my other non-Glock pistols. But I can take or leave a range day with just my G19 or G17.
    For the sake of conversation am I really missing something by not owning a Glock or two? I have never owned one. Probably one of the few brands that I have not owned, lol. I have shot a few and I really looked hard at a G19 when the 2.0 Compact came out since they are the same size.

In the end I went with the M&P since I already owned a Shield and I liked the way it fit my hand.

I almost always recommend Glocks to people looking for their first handgun. But that is because they don't know anything about grip angles and ergonomics. I believe anyone can train and get used to the Glock feel and there is the fact that they are so common. And dependable...and...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I don't think anyone is missing anything by not owning a Glock. I have bought and sold Glocks several times over the years, trying to like them then remembering why I really don't. Most people buy a PCC because it takes Glock mags. I did the opposite, bought a couple of Glocks this year because my PCC and braced pistol both take Glock mags. Mag compatibility and being the most common platform in the US is my motivator to own Glock, not any love of the platform.

For me personally, the M&P 2.0 pistol is a far superior platform to a Glock in any caliber. For my EDC, though, neither S&W nor Glock have an answer to my Sig P365.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    What if you were to put the money you have for the 2 new pistols towards some good training on how to use them?
    He shoots IDPA and has over 9k rounds through his Shield, which he has carried since 2012.

He's probably figured it out by now.

:)

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    What if you were to put the money you have for the 2 new pistols towards some good training on how to use them
    He shoots IDPA and has over 9k rounds through his Shield, which he has carried since 2012.

He's probably figured it out by now.
    You are both equally correct, but if you could be so kind Bigtanker do you know of a good place near NW Indiana? I have long been looking for a good facility that teaches defensive HG training but the one that looked very good and I did find contacted and discussed taking multiple classes from beginner through advanced before I started doing IDPA. I began doing IDPA because I knew I needed training and finding 2 hours 1-2x a month was much easier then getting a three day weekend off. But I work 60-70hrs a week, and the fact I only get 1 weekend off a month, are going to school for a engineering degree, and spending time with my sons every spare minuet I get all got in the way and I never got around to doing it and I lost all info about the place when my laptop literally was totally destroyed. Several years passed and I forgot it's name and I have since looked and done many a search on line but never found the same place and no other place I researched near my home interested me I do recall they specialized in revolver training. I did find a place called Defensive Shooting Concepts located NE of Indi that isn't to far from me but I haven't as yet researched it. Do you know of a good reasonably affordable facility in the northern half of Indiana you can recommend? I have learned a lot shooting IDPA as and we even have a HG caliber carbine night once a month that I use my 9mm AR, my Rugar PCC and even my Kel-Tec Sub2k/G2 to shoot in but no doubt I could use a multi-day formal class to bring my skill level to as a high a level as can be done within reason. Between my sons and I, I shoot so much 9mm I have a two Lee Classic four hole Turret presses set up for strictly and only 9mm with 124grn RMR or EGA FMJ and CFE powder. One press does all my HG brass priming and the other press loads all my 9mm. I can easily load 300-350 rounds an hour. I usually find myself reloading 3 days a week these days. So large was my 9mm use I invested in two Ruger 22/45's and two H&K G36K's for my sons to shoot to lesson my reloading ammo costs. I knew the 22/45's would shoot well, but I simply can not get over how well the H&K G36K's shoot. Much better than I ever expected let alone hoped for.

I

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If you buy a Glock be ready to change the barrel if you plan on using +p or +p+ ammo. Also the sights are plastic so you will want to change them, and the trigger needs several parts all pretty inexpensive to get a better trigger.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree with @Route 45 here given that OP is already invested in 320's, etc. Glock can make a lot of sense as a platform (share mags, holsters for many models, etc) especially with a PCC/PDWs that take Glock mags, but Glock by far is not the most ergonomic for most people.

Also, the modularity of the 320 offers some phenomenal options.

I shoot my 320s, 365s, and my M&P compact 2.0s better than my Glocks.

All that said CMMG offers a PDW that takes 320 mags now... CMMG can be pricey, and 320 mags are not as cheap (or as ubiquitous, and likely not as durable as Glock OEM mags either), but if someone is already rather invested in 320 mags it could make sense.

Top Bottom