• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In one of the rare instances that I wasn't arguing the finer points of "no gun" signs, I noticed that GT88 had a sig that referenced that she was limited in her knowledge of World War 2. Being a bit of a buff, on the subject, this tread is dedicated to her. So everyone please contribute.... facts, stories passed on, and opinions all welcome!

(and for the record, I'm sure there are plenty that know more about it than I)

Go!

-The "Red Ball Express," was, following the D-Day breakout, the American convoy system that transported (by truck), appx 12,500 tons of supplies to the Allied Armies each day, help keeping the boys able to fight Hun. It was staffed mainly by black soldiers (75%)

Red_Ball_Express.jpg

red_ball_express_loading.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Causes of America Entering the Conflict.

Most see the Attack of Pearl Harbor as the reason that the US entered the war. However, the Japanese, many will say, were forced into making that decision.

As Japan carried out the war in Asia, American and British interests became concerned that Japan would eventually topple all of Asia, China included (and this very well couldve happened). The US began issuing military equipment contracts to, then friendly, China.
    The US also ended supplying Japan with technical equipment and oil. This would effectively bring the Japanese war machine to a halt(c 1940/41).

With the lose of American oil, Japan looked to the Dutch East Indies holdings (oil) to continue it campaign. The Japanese believed that if they attempted to take European controlled portions of Asia, the US Pacific Fleet would hinder their objects. So Japan believed that they would have to cripple the US Fleet to such an extent, that US involvement would be so hindered, that by the time the US did attempt a military response, Japan would be well in control. And then we hay Dec 7, 1941.

USA-CBI-Command-p129.jpg

Last edited:

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Since wierd facts are my forte..

* A number of air crewmen died of farts. (ascending to 20,000 ft. in an un-pressurized aircraft causes intestinal gas to expand 300%!)
    * The US 8th Air Force shot down 6,098 fighter planes, 1 for every 12,700 shots fired.
    * Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.
    * Germany lost 136 Generals, which averages out to be 1 dead General every 2 weeks

Oh, and the British single handedly won. Anyone who tells you differently is obviously lying.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My dad was in the Coast Guard. Maybe not so glamorous, but there you go. He was stationed up in the Great Lakes. WTF? Were we worried about the Canadians invading us? Actually, the iron mined from Minnesota was a crucial strategic resource, to make, well, just about everything. Ships, tanks, rifles, jeeps engines, and we made a lot of all those things. Most of it came across the great lakes, and worries of sabotage were high, so these guys were pretty important to the cause. He thankfully never found himself on either end of a firearm held in anger.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    * A number of air crewmen died of farts. (ascending to 20,000 ft. in an un-pressurized aircraft causes intestinal gas to expand 300%!)......

I remember when I was a kid, an air veteran of WWII telling me they were forbidden to eat beans and cabbage.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    88GT,

For an analytical mind like yours, one of the best recommendations out of many is 2194 Days of War -- An Illustrated Chronology of the Second World War © 1977 by Arnoldo Mondadori Editore, S.p.A., Milano. Published in the U.S. by Gallery Books. Not sure if it's still in print. 754 pages total, illustrated with 620 photographs and 84 maps, a day by day, front by front account of the military and political events of those years. It presents a simultaneous, documented view of every theater of the war.

There are others to cross-reference or choose from, but wanted to recommend that one as one of the most comprehensive without being too burdensome.

For an outstanding video documentary, get The World At War.

Last edited:

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    There is just too much to know about WWII that it could never be told in just one book/thread.

Here is my simple view of WWII:

WWII was a result of the peace from WWI, and the peace from WWII lead to the Cold War and most of the wars that took place during that time. While WWII is important, WWI is more significant and lead us to the path we follow today.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Doolitte's Raid

With a sizable part of the US Pacific Fleet damaged or destroyed, in the months that followed Pearl Harbor, it was obvious that the US could not immediately go to war on a massive scale.

Americans were enlisting into the services all with the thought of revenge against Japan. Late December 1941, FDR spoke to the Joint Chiefs about boosting American morale and striking back at Japan. FDR wanted to let the public know, that this war that we had undertaken was not going to be fought on American shores. We were going to take it to the enemy.

Enter Lieutenant Colonel James "Jimmy" Doolittle. Doolittle, who planned the operation, led 16 B-25 "Mitchell'"s from the famed (not famed then) carrier the USS Hornet which attacked the Japanese home islands on April 18, 1942.

Japanese military targets in Osaka, Nagoya, Kobe, Yokohama, and Yokosuka were all attacked, and minimally damaged. 15 of the aircrews then, low on fuel, then attempted to "beat feat" to China (per the plan), with the 16th heading to the Soviet Union.

The 15 aircrews that headed to China abandoned their aircrafts, and parachuted (or crashed) into the Chinese mainland, and with the help of Chinese nationals, attempted make their way back to safety. The 16th made it to the Soviet Union where they were held for a year, and their B-25 confiscated.

Unfortunately 11 members of the various aircrews were lost. 2 drowned when their plane crash landed, 1 killed as he attempted to bailout of his B-25, and the eight others died from execution or in Japanese captivity. The remaining member's of "Doolittle's Raiders" made it to safety (though some would be KIA later in the war).

Doolittle's Raid, unknown to him at the time (he expected a court martial), was a GREAT success. It greatly increased American morale, and made the Japanese question what they had gotten themselves into.

Doolittle was awarded the Medal of Honor.

On a side note, 250,000 Chinese lost their lives as the Japanese Imperial Army "punished" them for helping the downed American flyers.

This heroic act made it way to the silver screen in the movie "Thirty Seconds over Tokyo."

Doolittle_Raid_01.jpg

B-25_on_the_deck_of_USS_Hornet_during_Doolittle_Raid.jpg

050607-F-1234P-021.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This thread is full of WIN!

This is my favorite piece of WW2 memorabilia. After watching the entire thing you really get a feel for how things have changed. The physical stature of the guys, referring to "old timers" and "the old guys" as a form of evidence that really great advice is to follow really shows how different the culture was back then. Oh, yeah, and it is an awesome marksmanship training video.

It is actually a declassified training video from 1943. The entire movie is broken up into several youtube videos. It isn't so much historical facts but it is a nice period piece that allows you to kind of immerse yourself in the era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh4zt_8tZYM

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Since wierd facts are my forte..

* A number of air crewmen died of farts. (ascending to 20,000 ft. in an un-pressurized aircraft causes intestinal gas to expand 300%!)
    * The US 8th Air Force shot down 6,098 fighter planes, 1 for every 12,700 shots fired.
    * Following a massive naval bombardment, 35,000 US and Canadian troops stormed ashore at Kiska. 21 troops were killed in the fire-fight. It would have been worse if there had been Japanese on the island.
    * Germany lost 136 Generals, which averages out to be 1 dead General every 2 weeks

Just wondering if you can cite any of this?

Because it "smacks" of Internet Forward lore... And much of that stuff just ain't so.

Thanks.

-J-

ETA: The blurb about Kiska is basically true, I was able to validate that one

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The USS Indianapolis was sunk by a torpedo after the war had ended. The submarine crew had not received the news.

Veterans Day gained it's name after WWII, though it was already a National Holiday. Armistice Day, was set on Nov 11th to celebrate the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, which ended WWI on Nov 11, 1919.

Pappy Boyington, of TV Show Baa Baa Black Sheep fame, was a real man and receipiant of the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor. He was also an advisor to the TV crew when filming to show.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Just wondering if you can cite any of this?

Because it "smacks" of Internet Forward lore... And much of that stuff just ain't so.

Thanks.

-J-

ETA: The blurb about Kiska is basically true, I was able to validate that one

The one about gas killing people I got from my grandfather who served in the RAF. Donno if its true or not, but the pilots were told it was.

The Kiska and ammo per plane I learned in a history class in college, the generals one was the answer to a pub quiz question. I fully admit the last three might be bs, but given the source of the 1st one ill believe it till the day I die.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    This thread is full of WIN!

Yes, yes, it is. I'm enjoying it very much.

I should add though that I'm not nearly as uninformed as others accused me of being. Seems some can't distinguish between a different opinion/analysis and actual knowledge.

Still, while I know I'm more informed that the majority of modern Americans, I also know there's a good deal of stuff I don't know. So this thread has been just plain fun and enlightening.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The USS Indianapolis was sunk by a torpedo after the war had ended. The submarine crew had not received the news.

Veterans Day gained it's name after WWII, though it was already a National Holiday. Armistice Day, was set on Nov 11th to celebrate the signing of the Treaty of Versailles, which ended WWI on Nov 11, 1919.

Pappy Boyington, of TV Show Baa Baa Black Sheep fame, was a real man and receipiant of the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor. He was also an advisor to the TV crew when filming to show.
    Actually, the USS Indianapolis, was sunk, AFTER delivering the parts, to the bomb, and was on the way back to Pearl..... the mission, was so TOP SECRET, when they were hit, nobody, paid any attention to the distress call .....

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Actually, the USS Indianapolis, was sunk, AFTER delivering the parts, to the bomb, and was on the way back to Pearl..... the mission, was so TOP SECRET, when they were hit, nobody, paid any attention to the distress call .....

There wasn't much of a distress call IIRC. But that detail is a bit fuzzy. And when it didn't show up at port a mixture of the top secret nature of the mission and poor organization skills led to a serious delay of people noticing it wasn't where it was "supposed" to be.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    There wasn't much of a distress call IIRC. But that detail is a bit fuzzy. And when it didn't show up at port a mixture of the top secret nature of the mission and poor organization skills led to a serious delay of people noticing it wasn't where it was "supposed" to be.
    Yes, very true .....

Top Bottom