• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It may also be that because baffles were never installed the ATF does not consider it a manufactured can and so that serial number has not been used.
    Not that it matter anymore but IMHO, this does have some merit. Is a suppressor considered "manufactured" if the baffles aren't installed? I would be inclined to think that if faced with a situation like May 19, 1986, and you were trying to get it "manufactured" by a certain date they would say it's not, but in this situation they would say it is... If the above is a valid line of reasoning then that would be the only way to replace the tube. "Oops, we sent out a can that wasn't fully manufactured, we now must replace it with a newer version, but because that was wasn't technically manufactured we can re-use that serial number". I think a critical line of reasoning that plays into this is the fact that you can apply to manufacture a Title II firearm, have all the paperwork, approval, and tax-stamp to do so then change your mind and get a tax-refund if you haven't manufactured the firearm.
    Correct, each baffle is considered an NFA firearm. For example, if you had a baffle strike in a serviceable suppressor, nothing else, just a baffle, even a blind monkey can take it apart, replace the baffle with a new one.

No, you can't do that yourself unless you are an 07/02 SOT. Nor you can have a spare baffle.
    Each baffle is a firearm but when placed into an assembly they do not equate to multiple firearms. Therefore, at the time of receiving baffles, as long as he isn't replacing baffles, and he doesn't have any extra baffles I don't see how that is explicitly illegal. It may be a gray area, but there are many other gray areas that are exploited out of ignorance by most. Technically, it's a gray area for a Form 1 manufacturer to replace parts in their own suppressor. As written the law forbids it, but common sense says there should be an exception for F1 cans. Yet many people have done that very thing and AFAIK NONE have been prosecuted, even after posting about it on the silencer-making forums.

Top Bottom