Help me build the ideal gun/reloading room.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    eddaa5bb90049c332bb46aa146b2d991.jpg

Well, this is just peachy.
    Former Fifi f***ed me over again.
    Under the last section of carpet to pull I find a 2x2 square of mold under what I believe to have been Fifi’s favorite spot.

So instead of the anti-microbial, I’ll be using something a little more... industrial.

And a HEPA vac

And containment.

Because anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Oh yeah, this is going to make all the electricians laugh.

When I pulled the carpet and pad in the closet the other day I forgot to post this.
    583fcdf2ef12d30229455ccd449f1e84.jpg

Four carpet nails through the central wiring for the house.

First of all, that romex mess should be IN the wall, not bundled up in the corner.

Second the guy installing the carpet must have had a death wish.

I guess I’ll be holding off on finishing the closet, so I can un-F*** someone else’s laziness.

I’m going to finish the room first though.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm not laughing at that romex, omg that sends doodads up my spine. You're going to need to rerun all of that, tacked or not. I've had to replace sections of underlayment where dogs and cats had been, and I think I have some water damage in the corner I'll have to deal with when I put down my hardwood. Mold is one thing, odor is another, and it's not all microbial. It just smells bad. They have substances at the big pet stores that purport to eliminate the smells, and they're differentiated by species. I like having the basement for my cave :rockwoot:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, I plan on re running that whole wad through the wall. It’s on the back side of the long closet so it’s going to wait for another day. Right now I’ve got them taped up and that’ll do until I get around to it. I figure rather than work on a hot panel, I’ll have the power company pull the meter for the day. I’m going to get all my ducks in a row and wait for some decent weather so my wife and the animals don’t complain too bad.

Between the mold chemicals and the anti-microbial it seems like the stink left with the carpet. I also used the odor control Dutch Boy paint on the walls and I can’t smell any pet stuff now, so I’m going to call it a win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I bought floor base kitchen cabinets two on left two on right, 30” space in the middle. Bolted cabinets to the wall, the top is two 3/4” pieces of plywood glued an screwed together cut to fit over cabinets screwed to th cabinets. My press is bolted to the top on the right side of 30” space. Bolts go all the way through plywood.i mounted two chrome power strips to wall above top of counter. Then I have three wooden shelves mounted with L brackets above all this.all my reloading equipment and cleaning equipment fits on shelves. I would send pictures but don’t know how. The closet is where I would store all my ammo.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    So, I’ve been busy.

I ordered the Secure-It brand wall system from Copper Custom Armament in Valparaiso. It’s the same stuff they use.

I decided to make a carpeted base to store ammo boxes under and provide a shelf for the stocks to rest on.

The wall panels go up pretty easy put up 3/4 inch plywood good and solid into the studs.
    After that, screw the panels right in.
    ca5d55d7ec76dce6a79ce0275b87a791.jpg

I painted the plywood the same color as the wall, without it the plywood can kind of be seen through the slats in the panels.and just looks unfinished.

5493b60f947bc4a77612aeb7047217a0.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    dfb53d615acd414309ede1921bd5c792.jpg

Here’s the base that I made. Just cobbled together an MDF shelf and scraps from the garage.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Ok, this is all the progress I’m going to make tonight.

Finished a second “base” and put in another four wall panels. Apparently I under estimated the number of fixtures, but I’ll deal with that later. I also “populated” the wall.

da70f9a8e297149d287c4c1025f1472f.jpg

Here’s a better look at the bases. I’m going to eventually cut and carpet a piece of MDF to set under the tallest rifles so they’re not on the floor.

b6e52f88c315de2747e49ad25395bda8.jpg
    cbe11f6c8451eeb32130e8251f730e60.jpg

Those cans fit in there perfectly.

If I have one complaint about the Secure-it fixtures is that it seems like none of them are really uniform. The pistol racks I have on top are all just a little different as far as the bends to shape them. Most people would probably never notice, but in my opinion, if you’re particular enough to sink the money into these kinds of fixtures, then you’re particular enough for things like that to bug you.

01d7f118f3e26278db4f62111ba22151.jpg
    1d346b2377af8c73cb3afd33e1079e53.jpg

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I hope you have everything insured - no safe equals no fire protection unless I missed your installation of fire retardant materials that protect against direct fire exposure and heat. However, for the cost of the insurance options I’ve looked into you can buy an awfully good safe !

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I have a rider on my insurance, and a few safes in the garage which most everything fits in if I leave the house for an extended period of time, vacations and whatnot.

As far as fires go, yeah it’s a valid concern, so the idea of a gun room isn’t for everyone. For me, I wanted a place where I can see my stuff and enjoy it. Also a safe doesn’t guarantee your stuff will survive the fire (though I agree it gives you MUCH better chances). I don’t want to dig for ten minutes to find a gun that I was thinking about, and then, “Duh, Joe! you put it in the other safe.”

This room is my little slice of paradise, life is risky.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am really liking your space. I am jealous. I am considering converting a large closet in to a reloading space. It would be anything as impressive. I really love reloading. It's about a 50/50 split between shooting and reloading. I haven't bought a factory box of anything centerfire in probably 3-4 years.

I have plenty of off the shelf ammo stacked up. I am just more in to working on my own loads. I let my friends shoot the factory stuff. Then I reload the brass.

You have a hell of a setup going. I'd love to have that much room. I'll be looking forward to your updates. Keep up the awesome work.

Top Bottom