• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsnowy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I'm starting to feel the itch for a 1911. Originally I was looking at a Springfield Mil-Spec, but then I saw Leo's advice in another thread (find out how much you want to spend, save an extra $300 and buy the one that you really want). So that brings me to the Springfield Loaded/Kimber Custom II (stainless) range. From what I can tell, these are similar in design and price.

Do you fellas have any suggestions/preferences?

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I'm more of a Springfield guy,no personal experience with them but I've heard way too much bad about Kimber. check out 1911 forums and you can read up on each brand you want to look into to.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I owned a Springfield TRP for about 3 months before i sold it. Hated the checkering on the frame, it was way to agressive. I also owned a Sig 1911 that i liked really well until i noticed everyone else packing 1911s at my LGS and local shooting spot. So i traded it for a Sig p220 just bc i like to be different. I have been waiting and saving and planning and if ive done my math right ill have enough for my dream 1911 (a Nighthawk Falcon) here in about 10 years! LOL. Out of the two you named I would go with the kimber. Springfield makes alot of thier guns in south america, Kimber is all USA.

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    I had the same itch a few years ago. I wanted an Ed Brown but could not bring myself to spend that much. I ended up with a Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Kimber Custom 2. Thousands of rounds out the pipe and NEVER a single problem.
    I depend on the full size. Personal preference but I'm not a compact or alloy kind of guy.
    With good holster and belt you won't even notice them.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    There are two 1911 platforms I would buy today, a 70 series or earlier Colt or a STI 2011 for a wide body. The earlier Colts, as long as they have not been molested by a kitchen table gunsmith, are some of the best fit factory guns to be found. You would have to spend a lot of money to match a post war National Match or Gold Cup. this is a good example of what is available and cheaper than the boutique guns to boot...

1959 Colt Gold Cup National Match 45cal. 45 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=260648625

My preference however would be building rather than buying, especially a new gun today. I can build better than factory simply because I do not have a time schedule or quota to meet. If it takes me 12 hours or longer to perfectly fit slide to frame then it takes 12 hours...or longer. No one can afford to pay a factory worker to spend that many hours doing a single gun. To build a 1911 takes me anywhere from 60 to 70 hours of fitting, I don't use any power tools, instead Prussian Blue and stones. I hand lap the slide to the frame, and handfit all the other components as well. Anyone with a small bit of mechanical aptitude can do the work if they have patience. I prefer carbon steel over stainless and the Robar MP3 finish when done.

netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I have one of the new Sig 1911 RTSS and am really pleased with it. So far it has shot around 1900 rounds and never failed to function. With Hornaday 230 gr. XTP's it will shoot under 1 inch all day. Thats as good as my Les Baer Super Tac will do.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I own a Kimber TLE Custon 2 and I really like it. It is a full size like you want and has a lot of bells and whistles that come with it like night sights, extended beaver tail, extended safety and stippling on both straps. All that for under $1k. I've had zero problems with it. Honestly I think you can't go wrong with a Kimber, Springfield, or S&W.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I'm starting to feel the itch for a 1911. Originally I was looking at a Springfield Mil-Spec, but then I saw Leo's advice in another thread (find out how much you want to spend, save an extra $300 and buy the one that you really want). So that brings me to the Springfield Loaded/Kimber Custom II (stainless) range. From what I can tell, these are similar in design and price.

Do you fellas have any suggestions/preferences?

i would buy a Springfield over a Kimber every time. Buy the Loaded and put some VZ grips on it = the ****
    20111102120129.jpg

20111102120203.jpg

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    You might consider a Ruger 1911. They are all American Made. Just happens to be one in the classifieds now ;)

Top Bottom