• Which one

• Total voters

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    I had this poll in Accessories Forum and was told to put it here for better feedback.
    Choices:
    Leupold Mark AR 1-4 duplex reticle
    Leupold Mark AR 1-4 Firedot
    Burris 1-4 Tac30
    Burris 1-4 MTAC
    Nikon m-223 1-4
    Leupold vx2 1-4

Those are those in my cart right now! Which one?

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    I didn't even think of asking a mod until you said that.

I found a PST for $529 plus a mount, hmm. Comparing prices and specs on all. Prolly make an excel spreadsheet

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I didn't even think of asking a mod until you said that.

I found a PST for $529 plus a mount, hmm. Comparing prices and specs on all. Prolly make an excel spreadsheet

Call A and A optics... he will tell you the pro's and the con's and help you decide on a mount. Hands down the best place to buy anything vortex from.

A&A Optics

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    before you make spreadsheets, make a prioritized list of your needs and wants in a 3-gun optic. true 1x? glass clarity? bdc or mil/moa markings? ffp or sfp? daytime-bright illumination? capped vs exposed turrets? return to zero? top end magnification? eye relief and eye box size?

if daytime-bright illumiation is your top need/want, then a firedot might suit you better. If you don't care about illumiation as much, but prefer a mil or moa hashes for drop, then a pst might suit you better. If you want a bdc w/ stadia for set distances, then something like the mtac might be more your thing.

the pst does just about everything well except illumination, and the hashes could be a 50% thicker and longer to quickly find them against a busy background. otherwise, for it's pricepoint, it's awesome. You can figure your drop against the mil/moa reticle, at 1x the 4moa center dot and surrounding partial circle is fast, at 4x the 1 moa dot is sized well for those mid range targets, it holds zero throuout the power range and nice glass for the $.

-rvb

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    before you make spreadsheets, make a prioritized list of your needs and wants in a 3-gun optic. true 1x? glass clarity? bdc or mil/moa markings? ffp or sfp? daytime-bright illumination? capped vs exposed turrets? return to zero? top end magnification? eye relief and eye box size?
    -rvb

Hmm
    Priority list:
    1. Glass clarity
    2. Eye relief and box
    3. Mil/Mil correlation (I would want to keep all my scopes within same scheme, per say)
    Would like usable illumination
    return to zero, nice feature. Especially with exposed turrets.

Don't really care about ffp or sfp, capped or exposed turrets(as long as turrets are not flimsy), all scopes are 4x so no worries there. Finally not to big on true 1x since I bought some sexy 45 degree iron offsets from Dueck. Just as long as it is a usable 1x with the Mark AR being the highest I am willing to go.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Hmm
    Priority list:
    1. Glass clarity
    2. Eye relief and box
    3. Mil/Mil correlation (I would want to keep all my scopes within same scheme, per say)
    Would like usable illumination
    return to zero, nice feature. Especially with exposed turrets.

Don't really care about ffp or sfp, capped or exposed turrets(as long as turrets are not flimsy), all scopes are 4x so no worries there. Finally not to big on true 1x since I bought some sexy 45 degree iron offsets from Dueck. Just as long as it is a usable 1x with the Mark AR being the highest I am willing to go.

I don't know enough about all the scopes to help w/ the 1 and 2 on your priority list, but certainly #3 crosses some right off the list. "usable" illumination means different things to different people.... the PST might qualify... I'll use the illumination if a target is deep in a shadow making the reticle hard to see, so I guess it's "usable," but it doesn' pop in bright sunlight, so I mostly don't even turn it on...

you see a lot of different 3-gun scopes being used because there are a lot of personal preference/priorities (and budgets).

-rvb

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Budget is key in the fact I want the best bang for my buck. which does not always constitute the most expensive.

It also does not always constitute the cheapest, as you will end up selling it because it doesnt work as advertised. If you want the most return on investment, your have your answer.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    It also does not always constitute the cheapest, as you will end up selling it because it doesnt work as advertised. If you want the most return on investment, your have your answer.

agree on both accounts. again, I don't know enough about the glass or eye relief on all the scopes, but certainly the PST is known for it's glass and generous eye box, and can be had mil/mil, so it gets high marks on your top 3 priorities.

I'm very happy w/ mine. though I would replace it in a heartbeat....... if I come accross the funds for a 1-6 viper... :)

-rvb

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Thanks for all the input. I already have the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 and the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9. So some research and comparing the two, I decided to go with the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    A lot depends on your price range. Vortex 1-4 on the low end or better yet Vortex Razor 1-6 while more expensive is hard to beat for the money. I love my Swarovski Z6i but if I was buying today it would be the 1-6 Razor for the price difference.

dj-vektor

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Morgantown
    It depends on the matches you plan on attending. Some venues have targets that don't exceed 40yds. In that case a red dot would be better than a 1x. If the range you plan on attending has targets out to 300yrds then a 1x variable would be better.

One specific competition I would go to in Texas would only go out to 50yds. I was faster there with my red dot. But since I was going to others that went to 200yrds I needed my 1-4 for those.

Hope this helps your dilemma.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I put the Leupold Hog 1.25-4x20 on a 308 and couldnt be happier - clear, light and holds zero - the pig plex really makes for quick target aquisition - I used in a assault riflr comp and it worked great -

Top Bottom