2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    What I have
    - Huntertown Guardian 9

What I want
    - A bolt action in a caliber greater than .22lr

What it needs to do
    - Be capable of safely firing subsonic ammo (I do reload)
    - Be reasonably effective/accurate beyond 100yds (knock down steel, kill medium sized game)
    - Have at least some aftermarket support (stocks, magazines, etc.)
    - Cost less than $1000

My thoughts right now are for either a .38/.357 Ruger 77 or a 300blk of some sort. I want it to be as quiet as possible, and if that means holding off on the gun and buying a better can, I will. I have the skills and machines to build it myself if need be, but cost of tooling, like reamers and headspace gauges will have to be factored in as well. This also means I can thread the barrel to whatever I need, so factory threaded is not that important.

This is mainly going to be a plinking gun, but could possibly be used afield if the hunting regs are changed. Help me decide.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Remington makes a 700 Tactical in .300 BLK. You can get them for about $600. Savage makes a Hog Hunter in .308 with a threaded barrel, for about $400 (then run .308 subsonic through it).

You can get a fixed barrel 5/8x24 piston for the Guardian 9. I've run it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout with 178gr subsonic .308 rounds and it was very quiet.

If you want a fun project, buy a Model 92 lever gun in .357/.38 and cut down the tube so you can thread the barrel 1/2x28.

Rossko85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2014
    Brownsburg
    Remington makes a 700 Tactical in .300 BLK. You can get them for about $600. Savage makes a Hog Hunter in .308 with a threaded barrel, for about $400 (then run .308 subsonic through it).

You can get a fixed barrel 5/8x24 piston for the Guardian 9. I've run it on my Ruger Gunsite Scout with 178gr subsonic .308 rounds and it was very quiet.

If you want a fun project, buy a Model 92 lever gun in .357/.38 and cut down the tube so you can thread the barrel 1/2x28.

+1!

Top Bottom