• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I currently live on the south side of Indy. I'm looking at places in The Center Grove area because of the schools. I've found a few places there with an acre or two. However, I've found some nice properties in Martinsville also. I don't know much about Martinsville, such as property taxes, schools, etc. it appears based on an Internet search that Martinsville schools are better than where I am now. Plus, I'm wondering about employment opportunities is the Maryinsville/B-town/Mooresville/Columbus area.

Basically I'm asking for more info about the Martinsville area....pros and cons.

Thanks for any info!!

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Don't move there. The county officials are dead beats and only apply the law to those that they want to. There is no employment opportunities, unless you want to work at a quickie mart selling polar pops. I just moved from there and have never been more happy to loose $20,000 on my house value to get the hell out of that depressing ***** hole. The politics go by the "Good ole Boy system" and if you are not part of their inbreed family you don't count. And I can tell you that the schools are crap.

You can see I hated it there, but the taxes are cheap. But you get what you pay for.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Don't move there. The county officials are dead beats and only apply the law to those that they want to. There is no employment opportunities, unless you want to work at a quickie mart selling polar pops. I just moved from there and have never been more happy to loose $20,000 on my house value to get the hell out of that depressing ***** hole. The politics go by the "Good ole Boy system" and if you are not part of their inbreed family you don't count. And I can tell you that the schools are crap.

You can see I hated it there, but the taxes are cheap. But you get what you pay for.

WOW! That's depressing! I hope you're not the representative example of every opinion that posts on this thread. We were looking at Camby/Morgan County/Hendricks County area too. I get the good ole boy thing to a point, but is living there really that bad?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    There are virtually no career opportunities in Martinsville, or Morgan County for that matter. It's a bedroom community of Indianapolis and Bloomington. There are a few crappy factories, restaurants, and discount stores for employment...that's about it. They already have a ice cream place and a few used car lots so that's out. The school system isn't the worst in the state, but you don't see tons of scholarship money being dumped there in comparison to Center Grove, Greenwood, Plainfield.

Taxes are cheap, there is good hunting nearby, it's close to Bloomnigton, Spencer, Mooresville, and Indy. I like visiting there, but I am glad I don't live there. Any decent job is going to be a 60 mile round trip...or more.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Pros of Martinsville are:
    Its a small town, most people know or are related to everyone
    Its fairly quite although in the last few years it seems it has lost some of it innocence
    The schools are good if you send your kids to the right ones, South elementary or East Elementary are the two best in thier league in Martinsville, Also Greentownship is School is good, East Middle(name has changed since I went there and it escapes me ATM) is MUCH better than West Middle school, MHS (Martinsville High School) is ok if your kids are willing to put in the time to learn and do alot of the teaching themselves. And can deal with a loosing football team, a crappy basketball team, a baseball team that shouldnt exist. The only decent team is the Golf teams. MHS Girls golf team is the best in the state, bar none. The Martinsville Golf course is one of the nicest in the area.

As far as tax rates they are not to bad.
    City goverment however is a joke.

Cons:

Its a small town. City government is a joke. There are very few jobs and the town seems dead set on keeping it that way. You will have to commute to Bloomington or Indy for a decent job. The town will be cut off when I-69 comes through unless the city can get its head out of its ass and make a reasonable plan to handle it. It will probably not make a decent plan to handle it and the town will probably die in the next 10-20 years. The local Hospital is so bad most tend to drive to Mooresville for care. Although IU Health has recently purchased it and we are hoping they make much needed changes. The people are low income, but most are decent and will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Meth and Heroin have become rampant. The local conservation club membership is always full and its impossible to besome a member.

Other than that its ok.

Edt: on a side note, If I didnt have alot of family here and a decent lot of private property to do with as I please and could afford to I would move to Mooresville or Plainfield.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    So, find some land outside of Mooresville & commute elsewhere? That's our current plan.

Sorry to the OP for highjacking his thread..

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Bought a place south of martintuckey two years ago. I have 4.5 acres (3 of them woods) property taxes with 2000sqft home, 30 x 36 garage, and two other out bldgs (chicken coop and shed) run us less than $500 a year.

I don't give a rip about the city gvt cause I don't live there

Cty LEO's that I've encountered have all been pretty cool

Bloomington is 18 miles (where I work) and shopping is fairly easy to get to.

My daughter goes to West middle School, and I've found it to be fairly decent

My wife just had an emergency appendectomy at IU Morgan Hospital this week. We were very impressed with the both the ER and Surgery Staff. Not a dour face to be found, nurses and other staff were always friendly, helpful, and caring.

Shootin' Irons Shop is on the 39 bypass and Randy is a good guy. The store is expanding and he's recently added Class III to his inventory.

Lots of Churches in the area, if that is on your list. My family likes Faith Church. Pastor Ken Snyder and a host of great folks. Good youth program too

I didn't grow up here, so I don't have a frame of reference to form a prejudice.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    but is living there really that bad?

Yep, it is.

If you don't mind living like this you will A ok.

These are pics of my neighbors house in Brown's Crossing. I called every government official I could to get him to clean that mess up. Talked to Kenny Hale on several occasions and went to Planning commission meetings and met with county commissioners meetings and no one would do a dang thing about that dead beat.

Those are the good pics before he got real bad. At the time I moved he had a 2 story addition building project on the back side of the house that he started 4 years prior. It is still not finished and has exposed particle board on the outside.
    Dscn1329.jpg

Dscn1328.jpg

Dscn1327.jpg

Dscn1325.jpg

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I don't give a rip about the city gvt cause I don't live there

Not living in the city has its perks. Thats what my brother thought when he moved to Washington Township. Count your blessings now bc they may try to anex you next.

Cty LEO's that I've encountered have all been pretty cool

That is true cops are pretty cool and normally OC friendly.

My daughter goes to West middle School, and I've found it to be fairly decent

I hope you daughter wasnt near the unpleasentness that took place last year. They are still having trouble rounding up the shooters friends and it was on lock down the other day due to another shooting threat.

My wife just had an emergency appendectomy at IU Morgan Hospital this week. We were very impressed with the both the ER and Surgery Staff. Not a dour face to be found, nurses and other staff were always friendly, helpful, and caring.

Seems as though IU has already made some changes. Glad to hear your wife is doing well.

Shootin' Irons Shop is on the 39 bypass and Randy is a good guy. The store is expanding and he's recently added Class III to his inventory.

I forgot about Shootin' Iron. They are closed on Monday so I never get the chance to stop in. Randy is a good dude. Guns and Ordinance out on Hall School Rd. is pretty cool too and Butch is a hell of guy.

Lots of Churches in the area, if that is on your list. My family likes Faith Church. Pastor Ken Snyder and a host of great folks. Good youth program too

True and most seem active in the community. I go to First Methodist with my fiance and her family.

I didn't grow up here, so I don't have a frame of reference to form a prejudice.

You didnt miss much.

I like Martinsville, I grew up here and Ive lived here most of my life. Like most small towns it has its problems.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I could help you work on your Gator and Boss plow. I would bring over ammo, Bacon and beer. Im the kinda guy who likes to be friends with my neighbors. :dunno:

INGO has determined I'm a terrible neighbor because I don't like the likes of George Zimmerman or want to regulate my neighbors grass. :D

I've been here a few years and haven't talked to the neighbor across the road since before the house was finished. I haven't talked to the other 2 neighbors on my mile at all. If they want to come chat, they're more than welcome to. Around here, most people live in the country to be left alone.

My initial post here was in good fun. But seriously, I don't want city HOA types moving in next door telling me how to live.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    . Around here, most people live in the country to be left alone. But seriously, I don't want city HOA types moving in next door telling me how to live.

I understand completely. We own 40 acres out in the woods of Morgan County. I love going out there and being left alone to do as I please.

I was relived when the proposed anexation of our property by Martinsville fell dead. Mostly due to nearby Lake Edgewood and pressure from thier HOA. So somtimes HOAs can do the right thing. They just have to be ran by the right people.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I live in Morgan Co. just outside of Morgantown. Have been here 17 years and can't complain. We live out in the woods and really enjoy the peace and quiet. No, you are probably are not going to work here (I work in Bloomington), but it is nice to come home to. Kids go (went) back to Indian Creek in Johnson Co. for school. You are right in the middle between Indy, Bloomington and Greenwood. Taxes are low, I shoot and hunt my own property, what neighbors I do have are nice, upper income folks that work in Indy or are retired.

There are nice areas in Morgan Co. to live where you can find acreage and seclusion at a reasonable price and still be a reasonable drive to other areas and what they have to offer. I would never consider living in a town. I go to Martinsville to get groceries, go to eat and hit the Rural King. That's about it. Martinsville doesn't bother me anymore than the Peoples Republic of Bloomington. Morgan Co. is much more affordable than Johnson or Monroe.

Dirty Steve

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    WOW! I appreciate all the info. That may explain why the really nice properties are in my price range. I'd like to have a couple of acres for my kids to run around and that's hard to find in the city.

I've looks for property in Mooresville but haven't found a lot out there. As far as Martinsville I know there has kinda always been a stigma if you live there. Are there good and bad places there just like everywhere else? I kinda just want to get out of the city but I can't go too far because of a custody thing.

Top Bottom