• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    We have a points for performance system at work and I just noticed they have some electronic ears that I can get. Here are some of the options, please let me know which you would get and why. Thanks INGO!

Radians Enhance Ear Electronic Hearing Protection (2 Units)

Contains 2 units¿one for each ear.
    Lightweight Design
    Fits snugly inside the ear canal.

Radians Pro-Amp Electronic Hearing Protection

Full-function electronic earmuff
    Collapses for easy storage
    Independent volume controls
    Meets ANSI S3.19-1974
    Noise Reduction Rating of 23dB in passive mode

Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs, Black

Power Muff 9X Enhancement, Power 50dB, AFT
    Two independent volume controls
    Sound Activated Compression
    Noise Reducing Rating, NRR 24dB
    Anti-Bacterial agent to prevent growth of mold

Pro Ears Pro 200 Electronic Hearing Protection & Amplification Ear Muffs

Pro Series Electronic hearing protection and amplification, DLSC Compression Technology, only weighs 7.6 ounces
    Spring form steel headband for firm compression, pre-set at 15 decibels of amplification
    Weighs only 7.6 ounces, attack time of 5.5 milliseconds

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have Radians as well, and both Spasmo and L'il Spas recently procured their own after using mine.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Here is a link to another discussion on this topic. I swear by the Howard Leight Sport hearing protectors. The price is right, good noise suppression, long battery life, low profile stays out of the way of your cheek weld when shooting long guns, amplifies talking such as range commands. I prefer these to the Radians I have borrowed,( thank you Scutter01). That having been said you can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Oh and look at that, my 1000th post!!!!!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories_and_gear/87609-electronic_ear_protection.html

Edit, I see that esrice beat me to the link, didn't see it at first. Evan is too quick for me...

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Howard Leight Impact Sport for $47 at Amazon are hard to beat. NRR 22 Db, look good, stereo mics, audio input minijack, 350 hrs. on two AAA batteries... I just got two sets--tested with a hammer in my workshop and WOW do these things really work!

Last edited:

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I also bought the Howard Leight Impact Sport model when they were on sale at Midway (based on the other INGO thread). I like them a lot for outdoor shooting, makes it easy to hear the RO. They don't work out quite as well for me indoors however, if I'm shooting bullseye indoors I use plugs AND the muffs with the volume turned way up so I can hear the RO . I know, sounds strange but it works. The muffs don't seem to seal well enough all around, maybe because of my glasses,

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Howard Leight Impact Sport for $47 at Amazon are hard to beat. NRR 22 Db, look good, stereo mics, audio input minijack, 350 hrs. on two AAA batteries... I just got two sets--tested with a hammer in my workshop and WOW do these things really work!

+1 I use a pair in a 100db+ datacenter damn near every day and I couldn't be happier with them.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    At what point do you lose the high pitched noise? I shot with a pair of caldwells and was not impressed at all.

I'm just wondering if spending more = much higher quality. I'd like to improve my shooting experience, not just spend some loot.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    At what point do you lose the high pitched noise? I shot with a pair of caldwells and was not impressed at all.

I'm just wondering if spending more = much higher quality. I'd like to improve my shooting experience, not just spend some loot.

Interesting... I just ordered a pair of these late in December when they were $17.99 at MidwayUSA

Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green - MidwayUSA

I'll have to see how they are when I get them. My brother has these as well and said he liked them. Figured for $18 it was worth a try as they got good reviews.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Not to put a damper on anybody, and your experience might be different than mine, but I spent 20 years with Peltor electronic noise cancelling earmuffs. I have experienced a lot of hearing loss. Even though I always wore them.

They shut down fast, but they don't shut down fast enough. Secondly, if you are shooting a rifle the sound comes up through your jawbone before the earmuffs shut down.

I now wear earplugs under my ear muffs which has protected what is left of my hearing. Both rifle and pistol.

The guy shouting the commands on the firing line has to accomodate me, I don't figure I have to accomodate him.......After all, I'm the one with the loaded gun.

Last edited:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Interesting... I just ordered a pair of these late in December when they were $17.99 at MidwayUSA

Caldwell E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green - MidwayUSA

I'll have to see how they are when I get them. My brother has these as well and said he liked them. Figured for $18 it was worth a try as they got good reviews.

I really didn't like the Caldwells. The electronic cutout was obtrusive and annoying. Audio reproduction was poor, with lots of static and distortion.

I guess they're OK for $18, but I'd rather wear decent non-electonic muffs than deal with the Caldwells.

I think that Radians are a much better choice, or Pro-Ears Gold or MSA Sordins if you want the best.

Top Bottom