• MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    A solid choice, for sure ! :thumbsup:

My Ruger AR is built for 'show', but it also 'goes' ... and does so just fine.

i-NmBrc8r-M.jpg

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield

Ruger® AR-556® MPR Autoloading Rifle Model 8542

www.ruger.com

OH nice .... I just saw that it has a mid-length gas system, and a 2-stage trigger.
    Those are both excellent to have !
    Thats what I thought, I fondled the 18” version today and it appears to be a decent trigger I can live with for a while. Only thing I am not 100% on is not having a full length top rail, however, I am only planning on a single optic (no magnifier, the strikefire for now, maybe a modestly priced 1-6 LPVO in the future?).

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Thats what I thought, I fondled the 18” version today and it appears to be a decent trigger I can live with for a while. Only thing I am not 100% on is not having a full length top rail, however, I am only planning on a single optic (no magnifier, the strikefire for now, maybe a modestly priced 1-6 LPVO in the future?).

Oh, we have to get busy, and spend your money ! ;)

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Excellent choice! A friend of mine bought that model (or a very similar one). I've shot it a couple of times and sighted it in with a red dot for him. We changed the grip to a BCM (https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfighter-grip-mod-3-black/) and that was it. Ran right out of the box.

We didn't shot it for groups but once sighted it, it seemed plenty accurate with bulk ammo.

The only other change I suggested was a Tubbs flat wire spring (http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring) - not sure if he ever did that. Most people don't listen to me. You are in a small group. Very small....

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Excellent choice! A friend of mine bought that model (or a very similar one). I've shot it a couple of times and sighted it in with a red dot for him. We changed the grip to a BCM (https://bravocompanyusa.com/bcmgunfighter-grip-mod-3-black/) and that was it. Ran right out of the box.

We didn't shot it for groups but once sighted it, it seemed plenty accurate with bulk ammo.

The only other change I suggested was a Tubbs flat wire spring (http://www.davidtubb.com/ar15-bufferspring) - not sure if he ever did that. Most people don't listen to me. You are in a small group. Very small....
    Once I get it (Wednesday?) and get familiar with the platform, sight in iron sights and red dot, put a few hundred rounds through it and take a local carbine class I will likely use some of that $ I saved and do a few minor upgrades. I will bring it to the SGE so you guys can abuse me with my own rifle;)

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    First off I want to say thank you to all who weighed in on this and your patience. You all gave me things to think about I hadn't a clue about.

Second, a shout out to all my CZicko buds, especially and in no particular order: @T-DOGG, @MindfulMan, @patience0830, @Ruger_Ronin, @hANNAbONE, @JEBland, @bcannon and especially @mcapo whose advice I finally talked myself into taking.

So today, besides ordering 990 rounds of Norma 223 ($14.99/30 with free shipping at normashooting.com) I ordered one of these from my LGS (thanks to the 3 local stores nearby that graciously showed me rifles, answered questions and looked up prices) for $800 and decided to use the left over money on more ammo and training. After watching about a zillion youtube reviews and reading many articles I felt this would be a solid, reliable firearm with good customer service that I can modify as needed or trade up down the road.

Thanks again everyone, range report to follow once it is in my hands.
    So proud
    c43f57ebd353456b2cfff21081334a66.gif

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Once I get it (Wednesday?) and get familiar with the platform, sight in iron sights and red dot, put a few hundred rounds through it and take a local carbine class I will likely use some of that $ I saved and do a few minor upgrades. I will bring it to the SGE so you guys can abuse me with my own rifle;)
    https://www.reveresriders.org/event/rifle-223-carbine-one-day-seelyville-in/

I will be attending this event as a volunteer (RO), and a close friend and fellow INGO'er will be attending as a student. I have taken several including one last weekend. Best bang for the buck you'll ever get for a class like this.

TANK BOSS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 27, 2021
    Fishers
    Looking for a factory built AR-15 in 5.56. These are all priced within a few $100 of each other and are reportedly reliable and reasonably accurate for 16” AR rifles.

Would like to know what you all think and which you would choose with your money and WHY. If you have personal experience, good or bad with the product or support I would be appreciative.

In order of approximate street price (low to high):

EDIT forgot this one:

https://www.primaryweapons.com/mk116-pro-rifle

The next 3 really stretch the budget (need $ for optics, sling, mags, etc) but if the consensus is overwhelmingly in favor over the others it may be doable.

There may be a possibility of getting a Daniel Defense LE patrol rifle (any non-LEOs bought one?) for the same price as the above 2, my LGS is going to try, if so that may be the winner otherwise DD will require $400 more than the most expensive above and that is optics $ and this rifle will not get hevy use, just needs to be reliable and I do not want to upgrade or build my own.

THANKS IN ADVANCE ….. and go!
    The best rifle on this list, cost & quality considered, is the BCM. You will not regret it.
    "An Ar is an AR..... they are all the same outside of minor quirks." PLEASE do not follow that philosophy. That's a modern day AR trail of tears...
    Buy a quality rifle and train with it. It will serve you well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    First off I want to say thank you to all who weighed in on this and your patience. You all gave me things to think about I hadn't a clue about.

Second, a shout out to all my CZicko buds, especially and in no particular order: @T-DOGG, @MindfulMan, @patience0830, @Ruger_Ronin, @hANNAbONE, @JEBland, @bcannon and especially @mcapo whose advice I finally talked myself into taking.

So today, besides ordering 990 rounds of Norma 223 ($14.99/30 with free shipping at normashooting.com) I ordered one of these from my LGS (thanks to the 3 local stores nearby that graciously showed me rifles, answered questions and looked up prices) for $800 and decided to use the left over money on more ammo and training. After watching about a zillion youtube reviews and reading many articles I felt this would be a solid, reliable firearm with good customer service that I can modify as needed or trade up down the road.

Thanks again everyone, range report to follow once it is in my hands.
    My boy has one he loves it.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    The best rifle on this list, cost & quality considered, is the BCM. You will not regret it.
    "An Ar is an AR..... they are all the same outside of minor quirks." PLEASE do not follow that philosophy. That's a modern day AR trail of tears...
    Buy a quality rifle and train with it. It will serve you well.
    The BCM (the few I could even find or get ordered) were $1350 and up and not sure I could have gotten one. Buying complete upper and lower was $1400. In an ideal world I would have one. My original budget was $1000-1200 and If I really liked a rifle I mig(t have gon a little higher (A couple of the DWs I was following went for $1250-1350 plus shipping and transfer fees). I found a new old stock FN15 discontinued rifle for $1150. Has been nothing really outstanding on the used marked the last month. Given my price range seems to currently be a dead zone I feel the upgraded Ruger (this is the top 1 or 2 rifles in their AR556 line) for $800 was a lot of value for the buck and the way to go. Maybe next one will be a BCM. Heck, maybe I will really get into things and build a nice long range precision AR down the road.

Thanks again all.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I bought the same Ruger as you did, but have yet to fire it. Looking forward to any feedback that you choose to share on it.

Also bought the Standard Mfg 16in basic AR when they were on sale for $500. Recommended by CM and a few others.

I really need to get to the range, darn it!

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Heck, maybe I will really get into things and build a nice long range precision AR down the road.
    You go down that road and it can get expensive if you buy quality parts. As much or more than top of the line rifles. However, it's done the way you want it and a keeper for life.

I know from experience. I've got over 2k in an AR-10 build. However, it's done the way I want it.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    I bought the same Ruger as you did, but have yet to fire it. Looking forward to any feedback that you choose to share on it.

Also bought the Standard Mfg 16in basic AR when they were on sale for $500. Recommended by CM and a few others.

I really need to get to the range, darn it!

In retrospect I am sorry I did not have the forethought and just pick up a Standard Mfg around Christmas when they were cheap. But had gun $$ earmarked for another project at that time.

Top Bottom