• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    I recently purchased a SW1911 E series, it's my first 1911 (and my first .45 :D) and was excited to let loose with it on the range. However, when I shot it I was soon disappointed. Many times the gun failed to feed the last round in the magazine. It only ever happened on the last round, but it happened often. I used both of the 8-round ACT mags included from the factory and 2 brand new 8-round wolff magazines with the +5% spring in them. Failure happened with all 4 mags. The ammo I used was PCM FMJ, Golden Saber JHP, and Federal HSTs. The failure happened with each of these rounds. Does anyone know what is causing this and what I can do to fix it?

The gun
    IMG_0960.jpg

The Problem (sorry for the bad pictures)
    IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0956-1.jpg

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I love those slide serrations!

Did you buy it new? It might need to be broken in a bit.

Other than that, it sounds kinda like a mag follower issue.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    . Does anyone know what is causing this and what I can do to fix it?

You know somebody's gonna say it so I'll be the first .

Sell that over rated , antiquated , ridiculously heavy , over priced , limited capacity hunk of **** and get a Glock !

It'll fire every last round !:D

Seriously though , it sounds like a "new" mag issue . Probably just needs broke in .

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    No way it is the firearm, it is after all, a S&W ..... probably mag or follower problem ..... where did you buy it ? Do they offer service of ANY kind ? S&W should have outstanding CS ..... give them a call .....

wwdkd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Valparaiso
    Did you buy it new? It might need to be broken in a bit.

I bought it used, but the previous owner said he only fired about 50 rounds through it and I've fired 250. Maybe it does need to be broken in more.

You know somebody's gonna say it so I'll be the first .

Sell that over rated , antiquated , ridiculously heavy , over priced , limited capacity hunk of **** and get a Glock !

It'll fire every last round !:D

Seriously though , it sounds like a "new" mag issue . Probably just needs broke in .

Already have one, I just wanted to add some contrast to the vapid, over-hyped, unrefined, plastic pistol which is Glock :D

No way it is the firearm, it is after all, a S&W ..... probably mag or follower problem ..... where did you buy it ? Do they offer service of ANY kind ? S&W should have outstanding CS ..... give them a call .....

Bought it from a private seller so no CS. It has already been to S&W once to have ambidextrous safeties installed ( S&W did it free of charge, how's that for customer service :rockwoot:) and I would hate to have to send it back to them and wait all that time again but it may come down to that if none of the other fixes work.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    First off that pistol is HOT ,like already mentioned probably a mag issue.Try a Wilson or a Chip McCormick,probably a breaking in issue or the barrel chamber could use a bit of polishing around the edges but hard to believe being a S&W ,usually good to go out of the box

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Looking at the first photo it appears that the case rim is not moving up under the extractor. Check to make sure there is a chamfer on the bottom corner of the extractor paw and not a sharp edge. Also, inspect the breech face for any roughness. And as other have mentioned try a quality mag like Tripp, Wilson or McCormick.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    OK it's only happening on the last round in the mag, no matter what magazine. My guess is that the slide stop is getting pushed up and almost locking the slide, slowing it enough that things are hanging up.

Take the slide off and reinsert the slide stop, stick a mag in with one round and see if the slide stop is pushing off the last round or catching on the follower. My two cents..

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    3 words...Wilson Combat Mags....

Or at least the follower and spring replacement, if that.

I had the same problem with my Kimber Custom classic.

Ended up doing three things:

Polished the top of the chamber (check for discoloration there) where it was hanging up with 0000 steel wool.

Got anal about cleaning the rails (wet or dry, runs fine now. But if ANYTHING is in there...... the super-tight tolerances touted by Kimber, Wilson, etc. increase sensitivity to dirt).

Changed out the full-length guide rod for a standard one.

No issues since.

Hobie8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Lake County
    You're not alone. I bought a nice new Springfield Loaded 3 weeks ago...it got sent back to them because the rounds won't feed all the way into the chamber, and the pin that the barrel link pivots on worked its way out enough so that it was rubbing against the inside of the slide, and I couldn't pull the slide back. Tried 5 different brands of ammo, used both factory and Wilson 47D mags.
    :xmad:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Try the most simple fix first. Oil the slide and rails. Oil the magazines on the inside. Put a drop of oil on the nose of the top round in each mag. It may be a magazine follower issue or improperly shaped mag feed lips. I like Metalform mags with the rounded followers. They are inexpensive and very reliable. The Wilson mags are great, but cost a lot more.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I also believe that 7 rounds are enough and the problems caused by cramming one more round into a single stack magazine designed for 7 rounds are not worth the extra round. If your first 4 or 5 have not solved your problem then you have already messed up badly. If your gun only chokes on the last round regardless of mag the usual culprit is too much drag on the case coming up into the slide, either from the breechface or the extractor hook and slot that are roughly finished. The last round is not going to have much spring power lifting it and if any rough spots have to be overcome it may not have enough. Look carefully at the breechface and the extractor. Most times a little work with a needle file and sandpaper can get things moving smoothly. This is fairly common on the current crop of 1911s coming out.

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    There's no reason that gun shouldn't be able to run with 8rd mags. None.

Break it in, find the mags it likes, or let S&W make it right.

Top Bottom