• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    After going the last several years w/out an AR due to family sacrifices, its time for me to own a high powered rifle again. I am going to be specific on this build though after learning many lessons building hundreds of these for clients in past years. I have not been doing much in the gun industry for quite some time, and feel that I have really lost touch with a lot of the information I once knew. With that said, this will be the last AR I build, and probably the last one I will own for at least 25 years.

I am trying to build a somewhat moderate-light weight rifle using a KISS principle. there are certain aesthetics I am looking for though.

I like the KMR alpha handguards.... slick, not sharp, full length rail on top, aluminum.
    I would like a rifle length gas system.
    I will be using a TI lower/ RR 2 stage match trigger, and ACE skeleton stock (already own)

For the upper, I would prefer a 18 inch barrel to get a little better balance considering I am going be using a standard countour.

My goal would be to have a Pin on low pro gas block and retain the ability to mount a milspec bayonet.

My problem is finding this combination of an 18 inch barrel pinned gas block and bayonet compatible. It seems like a lot of manufacturers don't even address this at all.

Where do I need to go to find this infor?

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    If you're wanting millspec bayonet capable, I think the following combinations are standard:
    Carbine length gas system = 14" barrel
    Mid-length gas system = 16" barrel
    Rifle length gas system = 20" barrel

Everything else is going to be custom fitment of some kind.
    Just my 0.02

Edit: I have to admit that handguard looks sweet.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes... that's a very good solution. that would probably have me leaning towards the 15 inch handguard instead of the 13 though. The more thought I put into this the more I am leaning towards dropping the requirement though....

The 18 inch kmr uppers seem really nice and appear that I might be able to strike a good balance with the longer barrel and keep the ace stock. I don't like the looks of rifles that have the handguard going all the way out to right up against the muzzle so I would probably opt for the 13 inch version and the bayonet adaptor would be in the back of my head knowing its still possible if I really want it to be.

Top Bottom