• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I started reloading 9mm today. I went through about 200 cases and almost half were these pictured. On these cases the primer pocket is too small, and I was able to get some primed, but I quickly started sorting them out after all the trouble they gave me, and after wasting several primers. I'm hoping I run out of them soon. Any idea what they are? I usually always bought WWB or Remington. Also is there an easy way to increase the size of the primer pocket, or would I be better off pitching them?

IMG_20160722_214911309_zpszocpquj8.jpg

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    The picture doesn't show the headstamp too clearly, but I see a two digit number and what looks like the NATO cross. Your problem is that the brass is military and has a crimp on the primer. You have to remove the crimp from military brass. Once this is done, seating primes will not be a problem anymore.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    It's tough to say for sure in the photo, but your explanation sounds like a case with a crimped primer pocket. You can use a chamfering tool to cut the ridge out, or if you have a lot of them, a swaging tool to reshape the pocket. How many pockets are you talking about?

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    IMG_20160722_223818833_zpsdkx6c0ly.jpg

The 4 on top are the case in question. The 2 below are "good" cases. It does look a little like they have been crimped, but once the primer is knocked out, what else can I do? It still looks smaller.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    So far about 100, but I'm just getting started on my 9mms. I could have several hundred.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Do you notice what looks like a little ring indentation around the primer pocket? That's the crimp. It slightly narrows the pocket. You can process them as stated, or ask for help.

Where are you located?

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    We use a primer pocket swedge tool if we have more than 20 or so to do, and a reamer if it's just a few. The reamer removes the metal, the swedge tool just "forms" the pocket (which is the proper process, in my opinion). I also have a primer pocket crimp tool that I made for the swedge press, so it extends the investment of the correct tool for the job.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I've been trying to think about where they came from. I bet my brother gave them to me after I gifted a Nazi Hi-Power back to him. I should run out of them after, I'm hoping 300 cases. I have plenty of other cases, so I will put them in a coffee can, label them, and process them once I get the proper tool. Thanks for your help guys!!! As always, INGO ROCKS!!!! :rockwoot:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I've been trying to think about where they came from. I bet my brother gave them to me after I gifted a Nazi Hi-Power back to him. I should run out of them after, I'm hoping 300 cases. I have plenty of other cases, so I will put them in a coffee can, label them, and process them once I get the proper tool. Thanks for your help guys!!! As always, INGO ROCKS!!!! :rockwoot:

If it's worth it to you, and you need them, you can send them and I'll process the pockets for you. It actually goes pretty fast.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    If it's worth it to you, and you need them, you can send them and I'll process the pockets for you. It actually goes pretty fast.

Thanks for the offer. I have a couple thousand 9mm cases, and will be ok without these, but plan to get to them later.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Went through my inventory and found a lone box of Winchester NATO cartridges. I don't remember buying them....but I guess I did.

IMG_20160723_100519477_zpsezvienwx.jpg

IMG_20160723_100531898_zpsovtxu4rp.jpg

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you don't have a lot of them to do, a small knife blade will work. I've also used a chamfer/ deburring tool, but I can't remember using it on small primer pockets.

Top Bottom