• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    I've got an issue that I could use some real help with. I'm a runner and I like riding my bike as well. I recently moved out more into a country setting. So over the last week I've been planning out the best places to run and bike from my house. Because of where my house is located (on a T) there are really only a couple of options. Yesterday I'm on my bike riding out and a dog comes flying at me from a farm house. This thing is definitely big enough to knock me down. It's ears were straight up and it was barking and growling as it chased me about a quarter of a mile. Unfortunately the only choice I had to get back to my house was to go down the same road and once again this dog shoots straight out of hell and rides my ankles about a quarter of a mile. I had my carry on me but I wasn't going to pull it until I knew I had to. No one wants to shoot someone's pet. I'm kind of ticked about the whole thing. I had planned on taking my boy with me on a jog yesterday with him in his stroller but chose to take a ride instead at the last minute. I feel like my options for my runs and rides are now limited to one street, and that's not what I moved out here to the country for. I want my open space. I'm not going to drive somewhere to run either. I don't have time for that. But I'm also not going to put myself in the position to get attacked or to have to shoot someone's dog.

So anyways, my questions is, what would you do? What is the legal way to handle this situation in the moment? When would shooting an animal be considered self defense? My husband wants to speak to the owners but in my mind this is the country, no one is going to be open to a discussion about their dog on their own property, even if it's clear the dog leaves the property. I'm just at a loss for the moment. Any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    As a owner of 4 dogs. I would drive over to the dog owners house and explain the situation to them. Ask them to meet the dog let it smell you and get to know its name so that from that point on your no longer a stranger and he will recognize you the next time your jogging or riding and you can call it by name and tell it to get back in it's yard. The owner will probably appreciate you also telling the dog to get back in the yard because I'm sure they would be upset if it got hit by a car.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    As a owner of 4 dogs. I would drive over to the dog owners house and explain the situation to them. Ask them to meet the dog let it smell you and get to know its name so that from that point on your no longer a stranger and he will recognize you the next time your jogging or riding and you can call it by name and tell it to get back in it's yard. The owner will probably appreciate you also telling the dog to get back in the yard because I'm sure they would be upset if it got hit by a car.

I like the idea of this peaceful solution. I just hope they will see it for what it is and not react badly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Regardless you will have to address this with the owner. If the dog comes off his property and is aggressive he is fair game.
    Try and video this on your phone and show the owner. Be as peaceful as possible about it.
    If the owner is a butt-head get the sheriff involved unless the sheriff is his cousin.

Welcome to the country.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Been there done that. Vinegar or ammonia in a water bottle works well. They leave you alone after one time being squirted.

Just don't forget which water bottle is which!

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Been there done that. Vinegar or ammonia in a water bottle works well. They leave you alone after one time being squirted.

I agree^^^^

A civil conversation with the dog's owner would be the best solution for all involved, if that doesn't work, pepper spray him real good one time and he wouldn't approach you again if you were passing out free steaks.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature

Most dogs are pretty intelligent and can be trained. We simply used water squirted right in our dogs face to get her to stop barking in the house over silly things. She learned quick. I would guess the vinegar one ammonia would do the trick. Maybe do that a time or two, and if it still comes after you, upgrade to pepper spray. It will learn that everything it comes after you, undesirable things happen.
    I also say go try to have a conversation with the owner. If nothing else, if you ever did have to shoot it, you could say you tried everything to peacefully solve the problem.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    Thank you all for your help. I'm going to speak with the owners tomorrow. If they aren't any help I plan on carrying a squirting bottle AND pepper spray just in case the squirting bottle doesn't work. I can't imagine pepper spray won't scare it off. I hope it doesn't come to that though. I love dogs and don't want to ever be faced with potentially having to hurt or kill someone else's beloved pet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Still doesnt solve the problem of the dog being semi*-aggressive. (*apparently all bark, no bite) Sure, SHE no longer is threatened by the dog after the meet and greet. What about her husband or kid when they decide to go for a jog, walk, etc. ?

Dog needs to be contained, end of story. I dont care WHERE you live. If your dog is leaving your property in a threatening manner toward strangers, there is a problem. I dont care if you dont think he will bite and is all bark. What if it was the owner with his gun? Protecting your house is one thing, walking out onto the sidewalk harassing/threatening people on the public ROW is another thing entirely.

I have a neighbor couple with an aggressive dog.One day I was walking with my family and he jumped the fence, ran down the drive and crossed the street in a full barking charge. I wasnt EDCing yet, so all I could do was move between him and my family, get big, and be equally aggressive and charge him while barking back at him. (I found barking at a dog that isnt truly in attack mode confuses the hell out of them and shuts them down faster) Thank God that worked. They now have a 6' fence instead of a standard 4' so its no longer a problem.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    As a cyclist and a dog owner, spraying them in the face with a water bottle usually does the trick. I've been that route. I wouldn't even bother with ammonia or vinegar, water stuns them enough for you to make a get away.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I agree^^^^

A civil conversation with the dog's owner would be the best solution for all involved, if that doesn't work, pepper spray him real good one time and he wouldn't approach you again if you were passing out free steaks.

I think I'm going to have to file that idea back for later. It's not uncommon to come across dogs who are more aggressive than they should be and aren't restrained in some way.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Living in a rural area and riding several hundred miles a year, dogs will always be an issue one time or another. The easy ones are the ones you see ahead of time. Its those sly ones that hide and do the sneak attack. No time to react. Had one take me out before I could even touch my brakes. Or even worse when there are 2-3 of them.

I tend to use the water bottle trick but it doesn't stop that sneak attack and may not stop all dogs. I have had a couple that didn't seem care one bit if you gave them the squirt. After all it was hot out.

If it is a route that you will frequent on a regular basis, try talking with the owner and see if a solution can be reached. But not all owners are sympathetic. After all you not everyone takes someone in spandex seriously.

If that doesn't work what usually does is just stopping and walking the bike. So far all the dogs have stopped as well. They may bark, but none have attacked once I stopped.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If that doesn't work what usually does is just stopping and walking the bike. So far all the dogs have stopped as well. They may bark, but none have attacked once I stopped.

That's all about the predator/prey relationship. I had a big juvenile boxer do that to me out in the flatlands to the south and west of Evansville. Was just fine with me OFF my bike (And my bike between the dog and I), but when I'd attempt to get ON my bike - the attitude changed.

Had another house on one of my regular routes that had a Weimaraner. Liked to chase. I used that one to work on my sprint. It helped that the house was on a hill and I'd run my route so I'd be going downhill by that house. Going up hill was...interesting.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Fireworks, light them as you are coming up on the property, when you throw them down and they go off as the dog is running up to them the dog will **** itself as it runs away.

Polished515

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Muncie
    I took a different route yesterday and was chased by another dog. This time the owner was outside leaning against his pick up just watching it lunge for me. I ended up having to spray my pepper spray in its face. I feel horrible about it. But that dog was much faster than the last one and I really had no time to react any other way. As for the first dog, we went by the house and no one was home so we are going to try this weekend. I've mapped out one other route I can take and am going to try it tonight. Hopefully there won't be any loose dogs that want to kill me. Thank you all for your responses.

Top Bottom