• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Ok.... Here is the Deal. Its time for me to get away from my 5 dollar knock off light and get a good light. I am going to let the INGO Members decide which one i buy. This is my 50th post on this sight so I am setting the limit at 50.00 before tax or shipping. You respond to this thread and tell me which light you think is best. I will purchase the one that gets the most responses. Lets give it a week. I will count them next tuesday night at 10 PM.

I prefer a light with a clip that would go in my front pocket but I will go with what you suggest.

I will post pics showing that I did order it and I will give my feedback after I use it for a few days.

Pic me out something good and lets have some fun with this.

Thanks in advance for you input....
    :rockwoot:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Fenix LD 20.

Pocket clip, lanyard, compact, run on two AA batteries (cheap and easy to find).

Fenix_LD20_Flashlight.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This is the same as the 4Sevens AA^2.... just not as good of a warranty.

Original Fenix guy started 4Sevens....

I just posted at the same time that the 4Sevens was just like the Fenix. :D

I think they are both good lights, you cant go wrong with either of them.

I know David Chow (CEO of 4Sevens) used to work for Fenix.Not sure if the LD20 is his design though. :dunno:

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    Make sure whatever you get has a forward clicky switch or a momentary press button. You DON'T want to have to click it for it to turn on (sometimes called reverse clicky). Sadly, I believe all the Fenix lights have reverse clickys.

Beware of lights that advertise extremely high outputs. Most companies do not test their lights, they just use the white papers of the LEDs, which is what it emits at the LED under optimal conditions. That is NOT what actually comes out of the flashlight. The actual output is usually 30-40% lower.

I am a big fan of Surefires, but you won't find much for $50. All of their output ratings have been actually confirmed on an integrating sphere (a very expensive scientific instrument to measure light), their lights are almost indestructible, and they carry a no-hassle lifetime warranty.

lapolicegear does have some of the gun metal finish 6Ps on clearance for $50
    Surefire 6P Gun Metal Finish

The 6P is a 60 lumen incandescent, but a rock solid light. When you decide you want to upgrade, buy a Malkoff M61 drop-in for it. It is a 260 lumen (out the front) to-hell-and-back reliable drop in with a Cree XM-L LED, fully potted electronics, and an absolutely perfect beam for everyday use. They are currently on sale for $55
    M61 Mod to fit Surefire and Malkoff [M61] - $55.00 : Malkoff Devices. Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights, LED light pucks, Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights, LED light pucks

You might also check out cpfmarketplace.com for some used lights.

Just beware of Chinese crap. There is a lot of it out there. Its a lot of fun to buy if you collect flashlights to see if you can find a "diamond in the rough", but if you don't have a good flashlight yet, you should really get something GOOD first... then you can waste your money on crap $20 flashlights because they are fun to buy (giving them out as gifts is a good excuse to buy them, they are still better than what most people have).

I currently EDC a Surefire LX2 that I recently got. I love the dual stage switch, but the beam is a bit tight for my preferences. I added a diffuser to it and now it is a bit too floody for me. My favorite is still a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M61, Z49 tailcap, and a stainless steel bezel ring. I also have a 6PL, 6PDL, G2L and a number of more "economy" lights (Fenix, Solarforce, knock-offs, etc) that are too numerous to list here.

I have a Streamlight Protac 2L on order because I was curious as to whether they were any good given the low price. I will post when I get it.

You might post on CandlePowerForums and ask for opinions. There are people there who have owned everything. That is the kind of person you want opinions from. The problem with asking about flashlights is a lot of people who have never had anything better than a mini-mag-light buy a $30 flashlight and are completely blown away by it. Never having had anything better, they don't know what they should really be looking for in a quality light. Those people who have owned everything will be able to better tell you what is out there for $50 that is the best quality. Even though my wife thinks I have waaay too many flashlights, I don't have much experience in the $50 range, so I can't make many recommendations. Most of mine are either > $100 or under $30 (not ones I would recommend for you).

Last edited:

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I am a big fan of Surefires, but you won't find much for $50. All of their output ratings have been actually confirmed on an integrating sphere (a very expensive scientific instrument to measure light), their lights are almost indestructible, and they carry a no-hassle lifetime warranty.

The 6P is a 60 lumen incandescent, but a rock solid light. When you decide you want to upgrade, buy a Malkoff M61 drop-in for it. It is a 260 lumen (out the front) to-hell-and-back reliable drop in with a Cree XM-L LED, fully potted electronics, and an absolutely perfect beam for everyday use. They are currently on sale for $55

If you look around you can find surefires at great prices. About a year ago I got my Surefire 6P LED on sale for under 60$ with shipping from Galls.com. I do like my 6P LED but it does not have the belt clip as the OP stated is a must.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Make sure whatever you get has a forward clicky switch or a momentary press button. You DON'T want to have to click it for it to turn on (sometimes called reverse clicky). Sadly, I believe all the Fenix lights have reverse clickys.

I never found that to be a problem.

As soon as you turn on your light you will give your position away in a tactical situation, if not by the "click" of the switch, by the light coming from your flashlight.
    So even with a silent switch you give your position away, so no need to have a fancy silent switch.
    It doesn't matter if it makes a noise or not when you turn it on.

And how many one us are special ops ninjas than could give their position away from the noise of their clicky switch anyway? :dunno:

In a home defense situation, the loud noise made by my 12 gauge shotgun when im racking the pump will cover the "click" from my mounted flashlight anyway. :D

In a self defense situation oustide, at night, if im attacked by someone and need to use my light to identify my target, maybe blind him as I get another weapon, it doesn't matter if my light makes a "click" as I jam the sharp bezel into his eye ball, my attacker will already know where I am.

812homes4u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    Columbus
    Thanks for the comments. Im very excited to see which lights get recommendations. I do see that the price range is already becoming a topic. For this one I want to keep it below 50 bucks. Not just for my wallet but so when the next new member reads this the can find a light on a budget. If this goes well I might try another price range in the future.

I hope to have lots of post this week. Looking forward to my new light.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    If you look around you can find surefires at great prices. About a year ago I got my Surefire 6P LED on sale for under 60$ with shipping from Galls.com. I do like my 6P LED but it does not have the belt clip as the OP stated is a must.

You can buy aftermarket clips. You won't find those prices again. Surefire has discont. all of the old P/C/G series LED lights and it appears everyone has clearanced them all off. Now the cheapest they have are the new X series that starts at $95, which I think is a rip off because the quality is lesser than the old ones (although the outputs are higher).

Finding them used is a good route. I don't think you will find a used C2 for $50, but it has a clip and is worth the premium. Add a M61 dropin later for an incredible light.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

...As soon as you turn on your light you will give your position away in a tactical situation, if not by the "click" of the switch, by the light coming from your flashlight.
    So even with a silent switch you give your position away, so no need to have a fancy silent switch.

It's not a matter of noise, it's a matter of fast, efficient operation. You go quick on, quick off, MOVE. Your position was given away at your last lighted location which you are now beyond.

A switch mod will turn the Fenix tail cap switches into "mostly momentary," requiring a hard press for click.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    I never found that to be a problem.

As soon as you turn on your light you will give your position away in a tactical situation, if not by the "click" of the switch, by the light coming from your flashlight.

And how many one us are special ops ninjas than could give their position away from the noise of their clicky switch anyway? :dunno:

In a home defense situation, the loud noise made by my 12 gauge shotgun when im racking the pump will cover the "click" from my mounted flashlight anyway. :D

In a self defense situation oustide, at night, if im attacked by someone and need to use my light to identify my target, maybe blind him as I get another weapon, it doesn't matter if my light makes a "click" as I jam the sharp bezel into his eye ball, my attacker will already know where I am.

It has nothing to do with the noise giving away your position.

It has to do with there being many times (most) where you just want the light for a few moments and don't want to sit there and click the thing. In self defense situation, you might have difficulty getting a clicky to turn on and off. When all you have to do is touch the button and it turns on and let go and it turns off, it makes everything easier.

Mostly, go use a momentary on button or a forward clicky switch for a month and then try to go back to a reverse clicky... you will hate it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks for the comments. Im very excited to see which lights get recommendations. I do see that the price range is already becoming a topic. For this one I want to keep it below 50 bucks. Not just for my wallet but so when the next new member reads this the can find a light on a budget. If this goes well I might try another price range in the future.

I hope to have lots of post this week. Looking forward to my new light.

The $50 is fine, you can get a great quality light for that price.
    That will be WAY better than the $5 you actually use, and later if you become addicted to flashlight (you will be if you start buying cool flashlights) you can spend $100 and more on even better flashlight.
    But as for now getting from a $5 crappy light to a quality Fenix or 4Sevens $50 light would already be a HUGE spet up.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I JUST bought the Surefire LX2 also. And haven't found anything I don't like about it yet.

What do you mean the beam is too tight?

Beware of lights that advertise extremely high outputs. Most companies do not test their lights, they just use the white papers of the LEDs, which is what it emits at the LED under optimal conditions. That is NOT what actually comes out of the flashlight. The actual output is usually 30-40% lower.

M61 Mod to fit Surefire and Malkoff [M61] - $55.00 : Malkoff Devices. Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights, LED light pucks, Super bright, powerful LED modifications for flashlights, LED light pucks

You might also check out cpfmarketplace.com for some used lights.

Just beware of Chinese crap. There is a lot of it out there. Its a lot of fun to buy if you collect flashlights to see if you can find a "diamond in the rough", but if you don't have a good flashlight yet, you should really get something GOOD first... then you can waste your money on crap $20 flashlights because they are fun to buy (giving them out as gifts is a good excuse to buy them, they are still better than what most people have).

I currently EDC a Surefire LX2 that I recently got. I love the dual stage switch, but the beam is a bit tight for my preferences. I added a diffuser to it and now it is a bit too floody for me. My favorite is still a Surefire C2 with a Malkoff M61, Z49 tailcap, and a stainless steel bezel ring. I also have a 6PL, 6PDL, G2L and a number of more "economy" lights (Fenix, Solarforce, knock-offs, etc) that are too numerous to list here.

I have a Streamlight Protac 2L on order because I was curious as to whether they were any good given the low price. I will post when I get it.

You might post on CandlePowerForums and ask for opinions. There are people there who have owned everything. That is the kind of person you want opinions from. The problem with asking about flashlights is a lot of people who have never had anything better than a mini-mag-light buy a $30 flashlight and are completely blown away by it. Never having had anything better, they don't know what they should really be looking for in a quality light. Those people who have owned everything will be able to better tell you what is out there for $50 that is the best quality. Even though my wife thinks I have waaay too many flashlights, I don't have much experience in the $50 range, so I can't make many recommendations. Most of mine are either > $100 or under $30 (not ones I would recommend for you).

Top Bottom