• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Loading for AR mainly Lake City brass. I have hornady new demension dies I have trouble with the FL sizer in that it tends to get stuck cases. Different lubes same result. The seating die isn't consistant either varying .010 to .015 in OAL. Plus it leaves a ring on the ogive of the bullet.

I'm done with them.

We're also starting to shoot Highpower and would like to strive for more accuracy.

Suggestions?

shadow6492

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Garrett/Auburn IN
    I would look at redding dies, depends on what you want to spend they offer basic dies to match grade. Heard some guys talk about the Rcbs ar series dies that come with small base dies.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    What kind of press do you have? I have the Dillon carbide dies on my Dillon 650. I've had good success with accuracy and no problems with stuck cases or anything.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have sent many thousands of 223 downrange with Lee dies. They are just as good as the Redding and RCBS "match" dies sets that I also own. I prefer the Lee dies. Your Hornady dies are preferred by bigdaddy1427 and many others for match 223 ammo.

If the seating die doesn't leave a ring on the ogive, it needs to be modified so it does. That is precisely where the seating die should be making contact with the bullet. The OAL length is not varying because of the seating die, it is varying because the bullet maker has variations between the ogive angle and the point of the bullet. Having these variations in OAL length is not a major concern for me. These variations went away when I switched from Sierra to Hornady bullets.

I suspect you are not using enough lube. Don't be afraid to lube the inside of the neck too.

Last edited:

TRL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    Hendricks Co.
    i have a set or RCBS dies and havn't had but one stuck case (my fault, no lube on case). full length size them and bullets stay consistant.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I have owned and used Hornady, Lee, Lyman and RCBS small base .223 dies. Still have all but Hornady. I didn't have any of the issues you had with the Hornady .223 dies, but had similar problems with their .308 dies. All the others have loaded about 200 rounds, between the three brands, without issue.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I have sent many thousands of 223 downrange with Lee dies. They are just as good as the Redding and RCBS "match" dies sets that I also own. I prefer the Lee dies. Your Hornady dies are preferred by bigdaddy1427 and many others for match 223 ammo.

If the seating die doesn't leave a ring on the ogive, it needs to be modified so it does. That is precisely where the seating die should be making contact with the bullet. The OAL length is not varying because of the seating die, it is varying because the bullet maker has variations between the ogive angle and the point of the bullet. Having these variations in OAL length is not a major concern for me. These variations went away when I switched from Sierra to Hornady bullets.

I suspect you are not using enough lube. Don't be afraid to lube the inside of the neck too.

I've got RCBS and LEE for other rifle calibers. Haven't stuck a case in any of these ever. Only in the 223 Hornady New Dimension dies have I ever stuck this many cases. I've probably got 3000 rounds thru these dies.

I ran into a ogive consistency issue with 75gr prvi projos from Wideners before.
    Right now I'm loading 55 gr Hornady Z-max (they were bought from Wideners too) Maybe Hornady's QC on their zombie bullets aren't as good a the v-max? They were cheap!

You're saying that the ring impression on the seating die is good and proper?

I might just order a set of LEE's and go from there.

Top Bottom