• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, went to a gun show today, and bought a Rock Island compact officer model 1911.

I want to customize it, and I want to do most of it myself, piece by piece. No particular plan. Looking for ideas, advice, criticism, whatever. Have at it.

How often does someone say, "Tell me what to do"? I'm saying it. I have no plan except perhaps that I'm going to put some VZ grips on it. Love those things.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    The only thing I can tell you is on the compact models, something with the grip is alittle shorter than your average compact. I called the RIA gunsmith in Nevada and he verified that. SO, if you put a magwell on it you will have to do some grinding to the magwell to shorten it up a touch. But you CAN make it work. The rest of the gun I haven't touched other than polishing up the barrell alittle.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The only thing I can tell you is on the compact models, something with the grip is alittle shorter than your average compact. I called the RIA gunsmith in Nevada and he verified that. SO, if you put a magwell on it you will have to do some grinding to the magwell to shorten it up a touch. But you CAN make it work. The rest of the gun I haven't touched other than polishing up the barrell alittle.

Tell me about yours. How do you like it? Did you get rid of the trigger creep?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I want to customize it, and I want to do most of it myself, piece by piece. No particular plan. Looking for ideas, advice, criticism, whatever. Have at it.

Ideas: lots, but first attach a House of Repeal a la Heinlein to the U.S. Congress

Advice: Buy low, sell high, always write a check to yourself first.

Criticism: You need a hair cut and a shave and should NOT be wearing that color as you are not a Spring.

Oh . . . wait, you meant about the pistol?:D

O.K., 1911, so what breaks on 1911s? Slide stops and extractors, so replace those first. Wilson Bulletproof that there are other good ones.

Sights and trigger next. I like those 10-8 sights, YMMV. Trigger crisp, medium stone to 4.5 pounds or so.

I don't know why you have a compact officer's model other than to make the Ghost of Jeff Cooper cry.:D Look into replace the springs too, especially on a little pistol like that.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    Mine is ok, I've praised them alot. But recently I have had a couple of problems with it not wanting to run dirty. Haven't had a problem with the trigger.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    The very first thing I would do is upgrade the trigger. There are two options I would consider:

1. You could get an "ignition kit" from SVI. These are expensive and you will likely need to get an SVI safety for it to work correctly. Minimum cost is about $250 shipped. More if you also decide to get an SVI trigger bow and insert (which I do recommend though they are not cheap). I have fired several guns with this update and they are amazing (Infinity Firearms)

2. Cylinder and Slide makes several different hammer/sear kits, some of which are drop in without any stoning required. Cost varies from about $100 to about $190. You will not need a different safety for this kit, though again a different trigger bow is probably a good idea. (1911 Hammer Sets)

(note if you get a new trigger bow, it may require some fitting, unless you get an SVI.)

The second thing would be sights. I am not an expert on sight upgrades on sights for government cut slides, but there are several options and I am sure you can find something that works for you.

The next thing would be to mirror the previous suggestion about the mag release and slide stop. 10-8 makes two parts that would be very good, for about $100 shipped. They also make trigger bows that are quite good for about $25 more. (1911 Parts - 10-8 Performance Store)

Finally, I would put a nicer set of grips on it. Tons of great options. You pick.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The very first thing I would do is upgrade the trigger. There are two options I would consider:

1. You could get an "ignition kit" from SVI. These are expensive and you will likely need to get an SVI safety for it to work correctly. Minimum cost is about $250 shipped. More if you also decide to get an SVI trigger bow and insert (which I do recommend though they are not cheap). I have fired several guns with this update and they are amazing (Infinity Firearms)

2. Cylinder and Slide makes several different hammer/sear kits, some of which are drop in without any stoning required. Cost varies from about $100 to about $190. You will not need a different safety for this kit, though again a different trigger bow is probably a good idea. (1911 Hammer Sets)

(note if you get a new trigger bow, it may require some fitting, unless you get an SVI.)

The second thing would be sights. I am not an expert on sight upgrades on sights for government cut slides, but there are several options and I am sure you can find something that works for you.

The next thing would be to mirror the previous suggestion about the mag release and slide stop. 10-8 makes two parts that would be very good, for about $100 shipped. They also make trigger bows that are quite good for about $25 more. (1911 Parts - 10-8 Performance Store)

Finally, I would put a nicer set of grips on it. Tons of great options. You pick.

Thanks! This is EXACTLY the kind of advice I'm looking for. There are so many options out there for the 1911s that it's hard to know where to start.

I know I want Heinie sights - I've used them before and for me, the straight 8 sights are the fastest I've used. I like the VZ grips, and I know I want an extended beavertail.

Triggers have never been important to me in the past, but with a 1911 I might as well have a sweet crisp trigger, because, well, it's possible to have one with that pistol. Thanks for the trigger info, I'm looking for things I can do myself, so if I can pay more but require less gunsmith work, that makes sense to me.

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I purchased everything that I wanted on my Rock compact from Brownells and then sent everything off too Arnel at Pharump Nev. Arnel is the "master gunsmith" there. He works on your firearm after hours on his own time. He did everything I asked him to do and then some. I asked for 30lpi of checkering on the front strap. He install all the parts, tuned it too feed and shoot HP's. I can't begin to tell you how happy I was when my compact came back. Arnel is the master of the Rock Islands. I had to send him a money order to cover the cost of his work, but I will say it was worth every penny. My compact will stand up to any other firearm out there today. It has had 1900 rounds fired from it and it has not missed a beat.. If you want further information about him, send me a private message and I can help you if you want the best compact 45 Rock. For me, the money was not the issue. I wanted a firearm I could stake my life on, which I do every day. Happy hunting....Mike

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Thanks! This is EXACTLY the kind of advice I'm looking for. There are so many options out there for the 1911s that it's hard to know where to start.

I know I want Heinie sights - I've used them before and for me, the straight 8 sights are the fastest I've used. I like the VZ grips, and I know I want an extended beavertail.

Triggers have never been important to me in the past, but with a 1911 I might as well have a sweet crisp trigger, because, well, it's possible to have one with that pistol. Thanks for the trigger info, I'm looking for things I can do myself, so if I can pay more but require less gunsmith work, that makes sense to me.

One more trigger suggestion is this: Ultimate Trigger Kit: Evolution Gun Works Inc.

This will require some fitting. Also, the description states pull can be as low as 2 pounds, which I do not recommend for most guns. The one review posted does say you can get a higher pull, though at 3.5 pounds that might be too light fora carry / defense gun.

Regardless, if you plan to get a trigger job from a gunsmith, EGW parts are very good as a foundation.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Late to the party, all solid suggestions above!

But if you are going to do it yourself....

Get Kuhnhausen's book, best money you will spend!

JERRY KUHNHAUSEN THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL - Brownells

Other thoughts: That little toy should be carried so budget for quality leather. And of course magazines as even the best 1911's will fail with bad mags. Think Wilson, Tripp or CMC.

Enjoy the learning process!

Top Bottom