• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I was cleaning my AR15 and the bolt slammed shut. Aside from being concerned why my bolt catch didn't work I couldn't pull the charging handle back. The rag was stuck in the chamber. I tried and it wouldn't work. I too my buffertube off and in doing that lost a detent forever. Then I lost my bolt catch blunger trying to completely strip the rifle. Why won't the BCG go back? My AR15 is basically in the ICU right now. I feel like I'm watching something die right in front of me

nighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I had something similar happen to a guy in basic training. The bolt slammed and lodged a rag into the chamber. This is not pretty but this is what we had to do. we locked the rifle down in a jig and lubed the thing up as much as we could and let it sit for a bit. now the painful part we ran a cleaning rod down the barrel and pushed. took a good bit and 2 people but it worked. That bolt slams with a lot more force than people realize so it takes a good bit to get it out. good luck that's the best I got

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I had something similar happen to a guy in basic training. The bolt slammed and lodged a rag into the chamber. This is not pretty but this is what we had to do. we locked the rifle down in a jig and lubed the thing up as much as we could and let it sit for a bit. now the painful part we ran a cleaning rod down the barrel and pushed. took a good bit and 2 people but it worked. That bolt slams with a lot more force than people realize so it takes a good bit to get it out. good luck that's the best I got

ill try this

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Not sure what to do. What the guy above posted would be the best I would have. You're in my prayers. let me know how you solved this.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    my suggestion.

as much as it will make you cringe. this sounds like one of those times when you just gotta get mean on it. close the collapsing stock all the way down (if solid stock its fine as is). grab your charging handle as if you were pulling it open and give the butt plate a good smack off the floor. pulling on the charging handle as ya do. the design can handle being a little rough. the way i read your post it sounds like some of the cloth is in your rotating bolt. picture it kinda like lock tite on a bolt.

for future ref, might take the upper off to clean your bore. if your finger was in there that woulda been bad. :/

Mech45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    NWI
    Leatherman MUT would get it open but that won't do you any good if you don't already have one. I have also gotten one open with a dead blow hammer. Had one person hold the rifle pointing straight up with the butt stock on a bench, held the charging handle release with one hand and and rapped on the other side with the dead blow hammer. Just be careful how hard you hit it.:twocents:

Chris

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Everything that the other posters said.

Next time you clean your barrel like that, put a empty magazine in so if you push the bolt back with the rod, it won't slam into the chamber.

But I think it is best to clean from the rear.

Good luck.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Only problem is I took my collapsing stock and buffer tube off. :facepalm: I thought that the spring or something was stuck. Now I think the thing that keeps the buffer spring inside the buffer tube is inside there holding the BCG there

fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    They are a tough rifle and giving it a good THUMP on the butt stock while pulling the charging handle should do the trick and if something breaks it was bound to break eventually right?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a metal rod that is smaller then the bore. I filed the edge to make it rounded. I coat it in oil, put a cleaning patch in the bore and slide it gently down the bore until it makes contact with what ever is stuck in the chamber ie. spent jammed casing, rag in the BCG
    I have an armorers vice and this helps secure the piece. Using a plastic hammer start the process of applying enough force to dislodge the jamb. It helps to have a second set of hands to pull back on the charging handle while doing this. It may take more force to move it than you are comfortable with but it will move. Inspect everything for damage.
    Never clean the bore with the BCG under spring pressure. It will trim off some finger. Be careful.
    This process has worked for us on several occasions as my buddy's bring me their broken pieces. I work for beer.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    "Aside from being concerned why my bolt catch didn't work............"

Your bolt catch WAS working. And, as it was designed to work. YOU probably bumped it or pushed the bolt back slightly while you were cleaning it and allowed the spring on the bolt catch to push it OFF....as designed. If you don't have an empty magazine in the rifle, the only thing keeping the bolt catch engaged is the pressure of the bolt on the bolt catch. ANY slight pressure on the bolt catch or release of pressure from the bolt allows the bolt catch to snap OFF to it's spring held position. Once that happens, the bolt SLAMS home.......as it's designed to do when the bolt catch snaps off.

The bolt catch is just that.....a CATCH. Not a bolt LOCK. You can either place an empty mag in the gun to hold the catch ON or you can remove the bolt completely from the rifle to avoid slamming the bolt home in the future.

nighter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Only problem is I took my collapsing stock and buffer tube off. :facepalm: I thought that the spring or something was stuck. Now I think the thing that keeps the buffer spring inside the buffer tube is inside there holding the BCG there

well you could also try to post a pic of what you got going that might help this little guessing game if we can see exactly whats going on

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    well you could also try to post a pic of what you got going that might help this little guessing game if we can see exactly whats going on

Will do ASAP. I am also thinking of giving it to a gunsmith just so I don't mess anything up like I already have

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Your rifle will no longer be serviceable. Send it to me for proper disposal.

If I understand correctly, you have an assembled rifle, but with no receiver extension. The bolt will not unlock. Assuming this is correct, reattach the receiver extension and stock, lube the BCG liberally, and try the mortar drill mentioned above. If that won't do it, you will have to hammer a rod to unlock it. I don't think a .22-sized dowel will work, so I would suggest a solid brass rod.

Top Bottom