• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    You have an up flow furnace. The A coil is on the top. It's hard to see in your picture, but it looks like your access panel is behind the vent pipe. You may need to remove it to get to the coil. Like I said, it's hard to see...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What does this 'coil' look like, is it in the box?

In the pic in the OP you can see where the line set goes in to the left of the flu pipe. That coil can easily be accessed.
    But my money is on the refr. charge being low. And the unit running dirty under a flipping stair case for crap sake. The condenser needs to have free air over the fan. The heat will trap in there and just get hotter as it runs. Seriously stupid place to put it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What has two thumbs and needs a new A/C system?

this-guy.jpg

Waiting on the estimate.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I got mine fixed yesterday. I opened my furnace up after seeing the discussion here and on the underside of the coils was a thick buildup of dust/dirt almost felt like a layer of cloth or felt or something started peeling off what I could, got some of that cleaner and got it cleaned up nicely and put a new filter in. The actual problem though was out in the heat pump the capacitor was out. At least I got a bit of much needed maintenance done.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My guy should be coming out soon for the annual A/C maintenance. I know I am throwing my money away but I feel good about it...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My guy should be coming out soon for the annual A/C maintenance. I know I am throwing my money away but I feel good about it...

Yeah, I suppose I do to. I do so much myself plus work 50+ hours per week that just for time's sake I am hiring more out. I pay $150 per year for a fall tuneup, spring tuneup and a plumbing check which is almost worthless.

This is my first year doing this. Chances are I'll cancel after this year since I will be pretty much done with the home reno and I should be able to find a couple extra hours for that type of maintenance.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Consider a dirty evaporator coil. You'll have to trap the freon in the compressor in order to take it out and clean it.

I agree. I clean mine every two years. Two cats in the house and the evaporate coil is covered with a layer of hair and yuck. I take my entire HVAC unit apart....completely... Down to a sheet metal shell. Except I leave the coil installed. I can reach the coil with my hands and carefully clean it off.

Then an put the entire unit back together. It's not that hard, except for pulling the heat exchanger fins.

Ive done this for the past twelve years. Did it last weekend. It takes me right at three hours total.

once the coil is cleaned I get better air flow, much better air flow, and my system works much better.

No HVAC company would do what I'm doing. They would want to install a new unit, or cut the coil out and install a new one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree. I clean mine every two years. Two cats in the house and the evaporate coil is covered with a layer of hair and yuck. I take my entire HVAC unit apart....completely... Down to a sheet metal shell. Except I leave the coil installed. I can reach the coil with my hands and carefully clean it off.

Then an put the entire unit back together. It's not that hard, except for pulling the heat exchanger fins.

Ive done this for the past twelve years. Did it last weekend. It takes me right at three hours total.

once the coil is cleaned I get better air flow, much better air flow, and my system works much better.

No HVAC company would do what I'm doing. They would want to install a new unit, or cut the coil out and install a new one.

Well doug you might be right but I have lost count of the pet owner/heavy smoker evaps I have cleaned.

Heres a little tip for you. If it gets that clogged up the system is hurting itself. The refr. will not boil off in total possibly allowing some of the liquid refr. to make it back to the compressor. This is not a good thing. Just like a plugged filter will cause the same stress on the unit. A dirty outdoor coil will cause other problems. Keeping the coils on both ends of the cycle clean is important.

You might either look into what you are using as a filter that will allow this much ick to get past it or do the cleaning every year. Something is not right in that area.

Just a couple of hints trying to help you keep your system alive and well.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    **UPDATE**

Had a HVAC guy out to check it out. He said freon level was spot on. He also checked the fan speed and it was good. He said it could be a couple things. I cleaned the A-coil from the top but he said that since it is pretty thick, it may not have fully cleaned the bottom where most of the dirt will get trapped. Unfortunately it would be a pretty big job to tear the whole thing apart to get to it. He recommended against putting that kind of money into an old unit (assuming I would have him do it).

The more likely issue is that the unit is tired and underpowered. He said it is a 2-ton unit, which was barely big enough when this place was built. Over the years, the unit has become tired and worn out, and now is struggling. He ran some numbers and said I should have a 2.5-ton unit for the size and layout of my house. He recommended i don't go too big because it won't draw out the humidity, and I would just end up cold and clammy.

He said if I can keep the coils clean I could get a few years out of it, but I would also be looking at some substantial energy bills. He offered to give me a free estimate when we are ready to replace it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    **UPDATE**

Had a HVAC guy out to check it out. He said freon level was spot on. He also checked the fan speed and it was good. He said it could be a couple things. I cleaned the A-coil from the top but he said that since it is pretty thick, it may not have fully cleaned the bottom where most of the dirt will get trapped. Unfortunately it would be a pretty big job to tear the whole thing apart to get to it. He recommended against putting that kind of money into an old unit (assuming I would have him do it).

The more likely issue is that the unit is tired and underpowered. He said it is a 2-ton unit, which was barely big enough when this place was built. Over the years, the unit has become tired and worn out, and now is struggling. He ran some numbers and said I should have a 2.5-ton unit for the size and layout of my house. He recommended i don't go too big because it won't draw out the humidity, and I would just end up cold and clammy.

He said if I can keep the coils clean I could get a few years out of it, but I would also be looking at some substantial energy bills. He offered to give me a free estimate when we are ready to replace it.

It is very common for us to go up half a ton in capacity when we replace a system. Most are marginally sized from the start and the capacity falls off over time to all the issues we have discussed. The half ton jump has always made the customers more comfortable and still dehumidifies as that's all these systems are people. Big dehumidifier's. Once the water is wrung out of the air it is easier to cool.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Had this issue with our 15 plus year old hvac system. Even when not an issue, had 300 plus utility bills in summer and winter. Replaced whole unit inside and out. Went from heat pump (electric back up) to gas furnace. The worst our utility bill, even with 20’ tall ceiling in front room, about 220 combined.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    **UPDATE**

I replaced the A/C system about a week ago. The furnace was good. Nice and cool since.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I'm probably repeating myself but anyway... Its going to be HOT out this week... Make sure your outdoor unit for your AC is clean and all obstructions are cleared. Take a few minutes to hose it out and trim back the grass around it. Its going to work extra hard this week.

Your AC will thank you and so will your SO.

:ingo:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm probably repeating myself but anyway... Its going to be HOT out this week... Make sure your outdoor unit for your AC is clean and all obstructions are cleared. Take a few minutes to hose it out and trim back the grass around it. Its going to work extra hard this week.

Your AC will thank you and so will your SO.

:ingo:

Mine runs constantly once we go over 90 outside. Though the t-stat is set at 78, the temps go up to about 80 or so by the t-stat. Product of a vaulted ceiling with not enough insulation.

Top Bottom