• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The disposal I think has a short in it or something. When it's plugged in the sink is electrified. Just touching it does nothing. But then standing on the metal vent and touching the sink grounds us or something and makes a shock. If I unplug the disposal then there is no power going to the sink. It's not on a GFCI. The plumber said it wasn't needed when I asked him.
    Thanks for all your help
    Jason

Now that you know what the culprit is, this might be an easy fix. Where the cord goes into the disposal, there may be a cover plate that you can remove and check the connection. If the cord is made with stranded conductors, it's possible a strand was missed when installed on the terminals and finally found its way to the metal case. It'd just take a few minutes to check the connections to see if it's something obvious and easy to fix.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure the code changed a few years ago that dishawashers and all under cabinet stuff has to be on a GFCI now...that's easy to change out too--usually...but not in my case, normally. :)

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    The garbage disposal had the cord and plug attached already. I thought that would be easier to have installed than have it hardwired in. So if there is a short or something in the disposal, then it's cause it's defective. It's never been opened and there was nothing to wire up.

Jason

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    good call. We has a new disposal put in a few months ago. We tried the breaker for that area and the shock went away. We flipped it back and ouch!!! We unplugged the disposal and it went away. So, we think it might be the disposal. We have it unplugged for now but are having someone come out tomorrow to look at it. If it's the disposal then hopefully menards will replace it. It's only a few months old.

Jason

It could also be the light switch that controls the disposal. I had mine go bad in a similar way. If I had wet hands and used it, I got a gentle, almost pleasant shock that felt more like a massage than a shock. Now if I made contact with the screws holding the faceplate on while energized, HOOOOO BOY!

Replacing that was the best 57 cents I spent that week.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Sounds to me like you probably both lost the ground and have a short in the disposal. I'm not an electrician but just losing the ground shouldn't energize the unit and sink by my estimation, in a three wire circuit the bare ground wire shouldn't be carrying juice unless something has gone wrong. It could all be where the cord attaches in the unit. There are a couple of different failures I can think of that would result in what you are having.

Last edited:

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    It looks like the outlet was installed incorrectly. The polarity was reversed and ground not used. Got that installed properly and no more shocks. Also had some other work done while the electrician was here. What a weird thing to have happen.

Jason

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It looks like the outlet was installed incorrectly. The polarity was reversed and ground not used. Got that installed properly and no more shocks. Also had some other work done while the electrician was here. What a weird thing to have happen.

Jason
    Weird? Maybe.
    Negligent? Definitely.

I actually was wondering about the outlet, and thought, nah, couldn't be that bad...

Top Bottom