• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I just got a package containing 3 Hungarian 20-rd AK47 mags and magazine pouch. The mags are in excellent condition and I'm very happy with them. They actually look better than the picture below. The mags came in a nice case that I would like to keep but it stinks big time.

The case is heavy canvas with leather straps. If I touch it, I have to clean my hands twice to get the stink off. My first thought is that it was stored in a moist location and this is mold, but the steel mags inside are in excellent condition, no rust at all. Possibly it's some kind of funky coating to repel water? I'm not really sure what the problem is. I'd like to use the case if I can find a way to clean it. Any suggestions?

Edit- I guess the best way to describe the smell is musty.

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Use spray Fabreeze, It should get the smell out of it, or use the sent blocker stuff that hunters use! it will neutralize the smell!

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    gentle cycle

I'd wash it as well. Just take it out after and lather the leather. Realistically, how old is the pouch already, and what has it been there? 20 minutes in your washing machine isn't going to kill the leather.

You may try oiling the leather before you wash it, so it won't take in much water? Unsure about that part...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I just gave it a major Febreeze spray down. The forces of stench and anti-stench are currently waging war for ownership of the pouch. I'm not comfortable throwing leather in the washer, but if all else fails I'll try it. Thanks for the suggestions.

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I've heard of putting stinky shoes in zip lock bags then putting them in the freezer overnight. Never tried it, but it's worth a shot with this of all else fails.

TheAutomator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Mix baking soda and vinegar in a bowl and take a toothbrush and scrub the pouch down. Rinse very well with water, then sit it over a fan to dry out.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hey, I just had a brain storm/fart. Fill it with BACON and let it absorb the grease and odor.

Nah. Then my bacon would be musty and I'd be attracting INGOers like flies. ;)

Febreeze took away > 50% of the odor overnight. I'm giving it a second dose. Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I'll continue to work on it.

Top Bottom