• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Hey folks, asking for some help here. Sorry if this is long, but I want to include as much detail as possible.
    I have a Gen 4 Glock 23 and recently picked up 500rds of LAX 180gr reloads to try. My last 2 range trips have been a nightmare with this ammo as I have been having regular failure-to-feed problems.
    I am not a very experienced pistol shooter. I shoot maybe 1000rds per year through my Glock and have had it for almost 2 years. It has never had any previous malfunctions of any kind.

Previously I shot mostly Winchester Ranger 180gr FMJ since I carry Ranger 180 T's for carry. Since I have owned it, it has eaten alot of Ranger FMJ & HP and 500 rds Herters Select Brass, 300rds of Wolf Steel Case and I know I shot about 200rds of Winchester White Box. Recently it has also shot 100% with Buffalo Bore Barnes Lead-Free. Currently it has seen some Doubletap 200gr HC and Buffalo Bore 200gr HC (heading to Idaho Mountains for 2wks and will carry the 23 in the woods; same FTF on Buffalo Bore HC, but not DT HC)
    To save some money I decided to try LAX 180gr reloads as the reviews seemed very positive and the cost savings was significant.

I have shot this ammo on 3 different occasions.

1st time at range: No issues at all, 100% function with all 4 mags.

2 weeks later added +1 extension to one mag, installed Ghost 3.5# connector. Didn't clean pistol from last time at range.

2nd time at range: Only brought LAX reloads. Racked the slide, pull the trigger, bang, next round hangs up on feed ramp. Rack slide, pull trigger, bang and then next round hangs up on feed ramp. I did this for 50rds of LAX and then tried some 200gr Buffalo Bore HC, failure to feed for these, too. Frustrated, I moved on to my new Ruger LC9CT (LAX 9mm reloads functioned 100%)

Cleaned and lubed pistol during field strip, no other dis-assembly or cleaning.

3rd time at range (last Saturday): Expecting the worst and I got what I was expecting. Same issues, but this time I brought other ammo to try. Back to my Ranger 180gr FMJ which functioned 100%, Ranger 180gr T series which functioned 100% & DT HC 200gr 100% which functioned 100% (and which will be my woods carry for Northern Idaho)

The rounds which fail are all doing the same thing. The pistol ejects the spent case and upon the slide returning to battery, the cartridge slides out of the mag and fails to slide up the feed ramp fully, stopping with the nose half-way up the feed ramp and before entering the chamber. A simple pull on the slide and letting it release grabs the round and forces it into battery ready for the next trigger pull and which time the pistol ejects the next round fully and the same thing happens to the next. I did get about 10 rds from one mag to function perfectly, but on the next magazine it did the same thing.
    This happens with all mags and not just one particular mag. I have been careful with my grip and am not accidentally hitting the slide lock. I have been maintaining a solid grip and am not "limp-wristing" that I can tell. My accuracy has been very good with all ammo and I suspect that not holding the pistol properly such that would cause "limp-wristing" would probably upset accuracy.

This still has the factory Recoil Spring Assembly that came with it originally and I bought it just new about 2 years ago. I do not know the identifying marks on the RSA but am planning on checking if it would help.

1. Has anyone else had any problems with this ammo or other reloads?
    2. Do you suspect it is just a low power round?
    3. Has the Ghost connector negatively affected reliability?
    4. Does this sound like "Limp-Wristing" despite my best efforts at a proper grip?
    5. Is this symptomatic of older generation Glock Recoil Spring Assembly that were allowed to be changed?
    6. What is causing this?

Help please, and thanks for your replies. :)

I wish I would've thought to get a picture of the round in the pistol as it was hung up, but my description is accurate.

10292277_10152068608818231_4987028525063746581_n.jpg

8th SPS USAF

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hobart , In
    MB,
    #2 Sounds possible # 3 Not a Glk guy, but never had this happen in my Glks with Ghost Connector #4 Maybe-have someone else shoot it with this ammo-not a beginner shooter #5 Yes you might try a new gen 4 recoil spring assembly . Local PD was having same problem with new Factory ammo. They changed recoil and mag spring and fixed problem. Did your mag ext have extended mag spring? Did you try it in your stock mags? Try it in another Glk 23. Have Gen 4's been out over 2 yrs? Never heard of LAX ammo? Good luck Let us know what happened.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    MB,
    #2 Sounds possible # 3 Not a Glk guy, but never had this happen in my Glks with Ghost Connector #4 Maybe-have someone else shoot it with this ammo-not a beginner shooter #5 Yes you might try a new gen 4 recoil spring assembly . Local PD was having same problem with new Factory ammo. They changed recoil and mag spring and fixed problem. Did your mag ext have extended mag spring? Did you try it in your stock mags? Try it in another Glk 23. Have Gen 4's been out over 2 yrs? Never heard of LAX ammo? Good luck Let us know what happened.

This, also, some of the gen3 and 4 firing pins can get oddly worn or gunk can accumulate (especially if you lube too much) in the firing pin channel.
    1st - Try the same ammo in a few other .40 handguns. 2nd - verify all springs and get back to stock if possible (Glock website lists part numbers for old vs new recoil spring assemblies), haven't heard of Ghost connectors doing this, but I guess anything is possible.
    Most likely, ammo has deeply seated primers or "hard" primers, but these usually arent a problem for glocks unless the firing pin is worn.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I alternated through all 4 of my mags each time. No one mag was worse than the others.

You might ping Nht3. Although you are too far away for him to lay hands on it, he may be able to provide you some guidance.

If it wasn't for the fact that you modded the pistol in between good behavior and bad behavior I would have definitely said it was ammo related.
    But then you only added a mag extension to one mag... not sure about the connector. I'm still thinking ammo related. Are all the LAX rounds from the same lot #? I'm wondering if you got some bad ammo from LAX, as all other ammo seems to be working fine for you.

View Profile: NHT3 - INGunOwners

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    This, also, some of the gen3 and 4 firing pins can get oddly worn or gunk can accumulate (especially if you lube too much) in the firing pin channel.
    1st - Try the same ammo in a few other .40 handguns. 2nd - verify all springs and get back to stock if possible (Glock website lists part numbers for old vs new recoil spring assemblies), haven't heard of Ghost connectors doing this, but I guess anything is possible.
    Most likely, ammo has deeply seated primers or "hard" primers, but these usually arent a problem for glocks unless the firing pin is worn.

I'm not sure where the concern on the primers and firing pin are coming from? Did he say he had failures to fire? Seemed like failures to feed to me :dunno:

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I've fire LAX reloads through my P95 without any problems. Slight difference between a 9mm and a .40, though. I did find that the LAX reload cartridges are pretty dirty. Perhaps they just have some fine grit that is not allowing them to feed smoothly?

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would try couple other brands of ammo to see if your problem is ammo related, Call Glock to check on the guide rod as if they think needs to be updated they will send you a new one free.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I picked up 1500 rounds of 9mm LAX reloads on sale a while back (when no factory 9mm was available at non-stupid prices). I've been shooting it through all my 9mm guns, including my Glock 17.

Mostly it's been good, but the other week I had a cartridge get stuck in my Glock 17, with the slide slightly out of battery. It was a live round, so it was pretty nerved wracking trying to get it the slide unstuck. Finally, after nothing working in trying to get it open, we tapped the slide closed and I fired it. Then we were able to tap it the slide open again (cleaning rod and a rubber mallet). The gun and barrel appeared fine, but the case was bulged. I've fired the Glock again, with several types of ammo and not seen that problem, so it must have been that particular case.

I also have some of their .223. There it's mostly been good, but I just had a case get stuck in my AR that I haven't been able to get out yet (first time for a stuck brass case in an AR, usually it's steel). I'll inspect the case when I finally get it out and see if it's the same thing.

I have a feeling their quality control may not be up to factory new standards.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would try couple other brands of ammo to see if your problem is ammo related, Call Glock to check on the guide rod as if they think needs to be updated they will send you a new one free.

+1

Switch back to a couple mags of the factory loads and see what happens.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds odd I know, but try them without the light mounted.
    Chezuki is insinuating that your light may be too tight on the frame. Police a SWAT teams had this problem in the past. Higher grain or higher quality powder could push through this, but LAX may be using a cheaper powder. It's worth a try!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Actually Chez, not 'odd' at all. Having weight (how much just depends) on the front of the firearm can have the effect of 'limp-wristing', as it can throw the pistol 'out of balance', using that term very loosely.

While semi-autos are often configured to hold a light, laser, etc., they're not necessarily designed to work with one. They pistols are designed to work as manufactured. And let's face it, it's unrealistic for any handgun manufacturer to design it to accommodate every possible light, laser, or other attachment customers can come up with. And we all know that it if it 'can' be hung off the front of that pistol, someone's probably doing it. Hell, it's almost surprising we haven't seen a picture off some semi-auto with one of those 'green pine tree' air fresheners hanging off the front! :laugh:

Ranger 180gr FMJ which functioned 100%, Ranger 180gr T series which functioned 100% & DT HC 200gr 100% which functioned 100%
    JMO, but this notation would strongly indicate that the problem is the LAX ammo. You're gettin' 100% functionality with these specific ammo types, yet multiple, consistent problems with LAX.

Semi-auto pistols are 'female', LOL. They're finicky. They like what ammo they like, period. And, some times, what they 'choose' is completely dumbfounding to us guys, LOL! :lmfao:

Another possibility, not sure if it was answered by the OP, is the +1 mag extension. If the extension was added, but the mag spring wasn't changed, it's possible that the 'stock' mag spring is simply 'too loose' for that particular mag extension, and isn't strong enough to raise the round high enough for the slide to slam it into battery.

Last, the one thing I always do, on every auto I've owned, regardless of price, custom or not, is polish the feed ramp. I do my own, so it's 'cheap insurance' for me. I've resolved a lot of 'oh that gun's junk, it doesn't feed reliably' issues by simply polishing the feed ramp on some friend's gun. Of course, you can 'wear' it in firing 1,000 - 2,500 rounds through it, but why bother going to that cost when a little polishing did the trick for even the 1st box?

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Yep, I have heard that the Gen 3 Glocks in 40 caliber have had issues with the lights as it keeps the frame from flexing in the same manner as it does without the light, throwing off the slide motion when fired. I have no idea if that is true as I have never mounted a light myself on my Glock 23's, but it is what I have heard. Likewise I have heard it is not an issue for the Gen 4's... not sure if that is due to the RSA changes in the Gen 4s, but again, it is "what I have heard", but personally have no first hand experience on it.

JMO, but this notation would strongly indicate that the problem is the LAX ammo. You're gettin' 100% functionality with these specific ammo types, yet multiple, consistent problems with LAX.

Another possibility, not sure if it was answered by the OP, is the +1 mag extension. If the extension was added, but the mag spring wasn't changed, it's possible that the 'stock' mag spring is simply 'too loose' for that particular mag extension, and isn't strong enough to raise the round high enough for the slide to slam it into battery.

Yep, I'm betting it is ammo related with a secondary guess of the mag extension when combined with this specific ammo, causing the mag spring not to be strong enough to push the round into the chamber.

As mvician said, put it back to stock, and shoot enough of the ammo to see how it does, then re-introduce non OEM parts 1 at a time, then repeat shooting, and see what happens.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I had this problem with my glock 23 when all I could find was ranger 135gr reduced recoil ammo.

It would work mostly but some rounds were getting stuck on the feed ramp. It was instantly obvious what was going on, the ammo was too weak to get a complete cycling of the slide.

Your problem is just the ammo, not the gun.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Well if the OP ever returns...................

Look up problems with the Ghost connector, pull it out and check the angle against the stock GLOCK connector.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the help everyone. The light has been on the pistol since acquired. Never had any problems before. From what ya'll have said I am going to return it to stock and try the same ammo. Add the light and try again. Add the connector and try again. If it still fails to feed with all those scenario's I will be 99% sure it is ammo related and will move on to other practice ammo. I forgot to check the RSA ID last night, but will check it and confirm with Glock if it is correct. Thanks for all the help folks.

Top Bottom