• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I am going to give IDPA a try and are on a tight budget. Going with 9x19mm. Have narrowed my handgun choices down to the fallowing and need some experienced based advice to help make my choice. Absolutely can't go over $600 and would like to keep it as close to $500 as I can. In no particular order of prefernce. Plan on buying guns on line from either Buds or Impact guns. Want gun to have a barrel length as close to 5" as possible. I DO NOT like Glocks, great gun I just dont like them.

<>S&W M&P C.0.R.E 5" $607
    <>S&W M&P Pro 5" $549

<>EAA CZ75 SP-01 $606
    <>EAA SAR ST-10 BI-TONE $477.99

<>Springfield Armory XD-9 5" Black-$487/Bi-tone $527

I have resurched as well as I can all the above guns and they all have received an average of at least 4.5 out of 5 stars from every review I can find. I realize the M&P's and S/A have a advantage in terms of well established quality and availability of after market upgrades VS my other choices.

So please if anyone reading this has some solid advice or input please by all means share it with me.

Thank you,
    Arthur.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    Don't forget mags, holster, and mag pouches as well.

Which firearm is a personal preference. Just like you don't like Glock, someone else will have their opinion on what is "better" than another. Do you not have anything currently you can run to see if you even like the game? You may decide that you don't like IDPA and want a gun that's more USPSA-friendly.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If there is even a remote possibility you might shoot uspsa production division (where those guns would be best), you should pick something on their approved gun list.
    USPSA/NROI Production Gun List - USPSA - United States Practical Shooting Association
    rules out the CORE and st10.

otherwise you have to decide what YOU want (eg DA/SA vs striker, etc).

Is this your first handgun or are you buying something specifically for the games? If you have something, take it out and shoot before upgrading equipment.

-rvb

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    The Glock, M&P, XDM and the new FNS 5 " and Walther PPQ 5" can all be used in IDPA SSP & ESP as well as USPSA Production. Won't have to worry about DA first pull with any of these.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks for the info, good points to consider. To answer a few questions, while I'm far from being a expert , I own several handguns and have fired them all extensivly. I presently oun one gun that would work for both IDPA and USPSA a Springfield XD tactile (5") in. 45 acp. But as I'm just starting out a .45acp is considerably more eexpensiv to shoot than a 9mm and for a newbee like mysel more difficul as well. I' choosin IDPA as that what is offered at the gun club I belong to. I planned observing several matches first to see if indeed its for me but regardless I am certain I want to start competitive handgun shooting because I love to shoot and plane jane paper punching by myself has become quite boring. Cost to shoot and ease of shooting is what has drawn me to the 9mm, and IIRC 9mm is the most used caliber in IDPA.I have no aspersions of becomin a serious competitor, as iI simply don't have the time let alone the money to be able to expand the thousandss of rounds each year to be truly competitive. At this point in my life I would just enjoy immensly going out and doing some competitive shooting 2 or 3 times a month.So I will at this point in the game go observe a few matches of both shooting types and see which I like best to start.Would seem a S&W Pro in 40 S$W makes the most sense as it's aaccepted in both and I'm extremely happy with the way a M"&P feels in my handsWhat do you all think now on a good gun for me?

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks for ssuggesting the FNS. Sound s like I've have more researching to do
    Thank you to all who replied

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have tried several guns for pistol blasting, I love my EAA witness match but it was breaking me in mags, triggers, ECT.

As stated before I made the mistake of focusing on the firearm and when it came down to it I had as much into support equipment as the firearm, I have ended up with a 40 M&P pro and am very happy

accessories keep getting more abundant, higher quality and reasonably priced, Many smiths work with them and parts are a mouse click away,

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm curious why you decided on a .40 after talking about deciding on 9mm. While there's nothing wrong with the .40 version of the M&P, the 9mm would certainly be less expensive for ammo, plus will have less recoil, meaning you should be able to keep on target better with multiple shots. That said, either should be fine. If I were buying a new pistol today for IDPA, I'd probably pick up a Walther PPQ. Not as many accessory options, but enough to do IDPA. I'm currently using a G34 for my IDPA matches, but I'm considering switching to my 5" PPQ. The PPQ is extremely accurate, reasonably priced and the magazine ejection is very nice for competition.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Funny a couple of you suggested the new Walther 5" PPQ M2, as fate would have it I got to dry fire around 50x each a PPQ M2, a M&P Pro, and a CZ75 SP-01 phantom all side by side in continuis rapid succession. Although the trigger on the M&P Pro was close to the PPQ M2, the PPQ M2 was only moderately better, but better it was. So now my choice is down to either a 5" M&P Pro, or a Walther 5" PPQ M2.

And honsestly Im having quite a bit of trouble deciding. The big advantages the M&P Pro has are availability to a wide selection of holsters and other after market items VS the PPQ M2. Where IMHO thay are both extreamly good looking guns, I do prefer the PPQ's looks, but that has little to do with function. I also realize both thriggers will improve after a break in period of a few hundred rounds. So I will start a new thread asking for input on which gun is better suited to IDPA and possibly USPSA as both guns are on the OK list of IDPA and USPSA.

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    Truth of the matter is, you can't do what you say you want to do and stay within your budget. Even a used gun if you have to make any modifications (sights, trigger) plus at least one extra mag plus holster and mag pouches puts you on a monetary path akin to that of the US Government. I think maybe you've figured that out.

Top Bottom