• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Friend just got an SR9 and we wanted to break it in today. Last week he reloaded the ammo that we took. He had probably a dozen failure to eject problems in the first hundred rounds. Here is my recipe.

115gr X-treme plated w/ .355 dia
    4.4gr win231
    Tulammo primer
    Mixed HS brass

This ammo works flawlessly in my Sig SP2022 and the wife's Ruger P95. Wondering if it is because the gun in brand new? Maybe the spring is stiff because its new so I need to load a little hotter? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    What dies?

88GT hubby here. I had similar problems with my Glocks and it turned out to be dillon dies. they did not get low enough to prevent belling of the case at the bottom. went to lee dies and problem went away.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    That's an awful light load..

Friend just got an SR9 and we wanted to break it in today. Last week he reloaded the ammo that we took. He had probably a dozen failure to eject problems in the first hundred rounds. Here is my recipe.

115gr X-treme plated w/ .355 dia
    4.4gr win231
    Tulammo primer
    Mixed HS brass

This ammo works flawlessly in my Sig SP2022 and the wife's Ruger P95. Wondering if it is because the gun in brand new? Maybe the spring is stiff because its new so I need to load a little hotter? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I would bump it up to 4.6gr. of WW231. That still puts you .2gr. under Max listed in the Hornady Data Sheet, for 115gr. Lead RN.

I know that I had some light loaded cast 9MM that worked fine in my CZ's, but would not work well with a low round count Glock G-17.
    Bumped up the TightGroup charge+they worked just fine in the G-17..

As ALWAYS==YMMV....Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Case Gauge???

88GT hubby here. I had similar problems with my Glocks and it turned out to be dillon dies. they did not get low enough to prevent belling of the case at the bottom. went to lee dies and problem went away.

Did the (Dillon) defective rounds fit a case gauge?? Just wondering..Bill.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Yeah, using a Lee 4 die set but the dillon powder die. I figured I would try a 4.6 load, maybe make enough to test 5 mags and go from there?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    That should work..

Yeah, using a Lee 4 die set but the dillon powder die. I figured I would try a 4.6 load, maybe make enough to test 5 mags and go from there?

When I run plated, I have been loading just over the Min. listed on the Jacketed Bullet Data with good success.
    Have ran:Berry's,Rainer,and PowerBond plated, in 115+124gr. and all is well..Bill...

PS:All your Dillon powder die does is bell the case mouth, when you drop the powder, so that would not have any effect on the operation of the load..Bill

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    When I run plated, I have been loading just over the Min. listed on the Jacketed Bullet Data with good success.
    Have ran:Berry's,Rainer,and PowerBond plated, in 115+124gr. and all is well..Bill...

I'll try that when starting future loads. I usually use the lead data and I'll start at .1gr over the minimum. I guess I figured that since it worked in both of mine, no reason it shouldn't work in his.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    I had a similar situation with my SR9C. To make a long story short, I gave up on 231 altogether for my 9mm loads. I tried working all the way up to 4.9 grains with a 115gr JHP and the gun still couldn't get through an entire magazine without some sort of hiccup. I did find that Unique, AA#5 (6.5 grains or more) and TiteGroup loads function 100% in my SR9C. I had problems with AA#5 until I worked up to 6.5 grains (6.7gr max).

TiteGroup is awfully hard to beat for 9mm. Unique is a good choice if you like to fill up the case and eliminate the chance for double charges.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    TiteGroup is awfully hard to beat for 9mm. Unique is a good choice if you like t

^^^+1..That is what I use for the majority of my target pistol loads too.

I do NOT recommend TiteGroup to the beginner in to reloading, but if you have some time behind a press, it is hard to beat.

For ME, TightGroup is the "BullsEye" powder of today, at a better price point..Bill.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    O'Shark is RIGHT..

I'll try that when starting future loads. I usually use the lead data and I'll start at .1gr over the minimum. I guess I figured that since it worked in both of mine, no reason it shouldn't work in his.
    Be sure your start is .1gr over the minimum on JACKETED data..

I had a similar situation with my SR9C. To make a long story short, I gave up on 231 altogether for my 9mm loads. I tried working all the way up to 4.9 grains with a 115gr JHP and the gun still couldn't get through an entire magazine without some sort of hiccup. I did find that Unique, AA#5 (6.5 grains or more) and TiteGroup loads function 100% in my SR9C. I had problems with AA#5 until I worked up to 6.5 grains (6.7gr max).

TiteGroup is awfully hard to beat for 9mm. Unique is a good choice if you like to fill up the case and eliminate the chance for double charges.

TightGroup(With an experienced re-loader) IS a great overall powder for most pistol target loads..Bill.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    This is a fine example of how reloads intended for one gun may work great, but not necessarily for another. It is possible that SR9 might shoot those loads better after your buddy has run 500 rounds of other ammo through it, but then again, maybe not.

I know it's not all that difficult to find plated bullet loads that will "run" in just about any semi-auto pistol, but when you are using reduced power/velocity loads, that means less pressure to cycle the action. No two ways about it...there is a compromise between powerful enough for good, consistent function, but slow enough that you aren't stripping the plating off the bullets. It can be done, but it won't be as easy to find ONE LOAD that will work in all guns, as it is with jacketed bullets.

:twocents:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I load .40 for my Glock and my fathers SR40C. X-treme plated bullets just like yours, only I use Titegroup (like many others) for my powder and CCI primers. I load right in the middle of the min-max load for JHP bullets and they run fine in both guns. They even run good in my brother-in-laws G27. I've never used Winchester powder so I don't know how the burn rate is on it but you might try a different powder rather than a hot load. Another good powder a friend of mine uses is HS-6. He doesn't like Titegroup because he could double charge and not know it. HS-6 fills up the case a bit more. Of course this is for .40 but both are great powders for 9mm as well.

I've taken my plated bullets up to 5.0 gr of Titegroup with no evidence of pressure issues. That's .1gr below max load for a SIE JHP. If need be, work your way up to a load that feels good and works in both firearms. As long as you're not exceeding 1500 fps you should be fine with the plated bullets. :)

Top Bottom