• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I'm thinking of building a new AR but this time I would like to build an SBR. I know I have to go through paperwork but what exactly would I need to do? The whole engraving/non-engraving is confusing me. Do I need to do the paperwork when I decide to build it or can I do the paperwork before hand? Is there any reason the ATF would not allow me to have the license for an SBR? If I get a license for an SBR is it the same license that allows me to own a suppressor or is that completely different?

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'm thinking of building a new AR but this time I would like to build an SBR. I know I have to go through paperwork but what exactly would I need to do? The whole engraving/non-engraving is confusing me. Do I need to do the paperwork when I decide to build it or can I do the paperwork before hand? Is there any reason the ATF would not allow me to have the license for an SBR? If I get a license for an SBR is it the same license that allows me to own a suppressor or is that completely different?

You need the paperwork submitted and approved before you can build your SBR.

Yes, the atf may deny it for a numerous reasons. But as long as you are a proper person you, and fill it out form correctly, you should have no issues

There is no license. Its just a tax form that basically states you are going to build an NFA item or transfer an NFA item. You need one for each NFA item that you are planning to do. If you want a suppressor you need to fill out another form 1 or 4 (depending on if you just want to buy one or build one) and get the approval.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    You need the paperwork submitted and approved before you can build your SBR.

Yes, the atf may deny it for a numerous reasons. But as long as you are a proper person you, and fill it out form correctly, you should have no issues

There is no license. Its just a tax form that basically states you are going to build an NFA item or transfer an NFA item. You need one for each NFA item that you are planning to do. If you want a suppressor you need to fill out another form 1 or 4 (depending on if you just want to buy one or build one) and get the approval.

So if I built an SBR now and then decided to build another say 3 years from now I would have to pay another $200 for the tax stamp?

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Correct. Each NFA item such as suppressors or SBR's, SBS's requires it's own $200 stamp

And I would also have to go through all of the forms again every time I build/buy a new one? What is this about the engraving/non-engraving that I have read about? And about the trust not having to have a CLEO sign off on it?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    And I would also have to go through all of the forms again every time I build/buy a new one? What is this about the engraving/non-engraving that I have read about? And about the trust not having to have a CLEO sign off on it?

Every time you build a new SBR, you have to file for a tax stamp. Each SBR has to be engraved because you are the manufacturer. A trust prevents you from having to get permission from a CLEO.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    A trust is always better. You can add/remove people at any time. Being that YOU don't own the NFA item (the trust does) your next of kin can take possession of NFA items when you pass (provided they are on the trust and can legally own them). Without a trust, they would be forced to buy tax stamps for each NFA item you owned.

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    A trust is always better. You can add/remove people at any time. Being that YOU don't own the NFA item (the trust does) your next of kin can take possession of NFA items when you pass (provided they are on the trust and can legally own them). Without a trust, they would be forced to buy tax stamps for each NFA item you owned.

OK so let me get this straight, if I'm building an SBR (buying a lower, then an upper, barrel, etc.) I have to have my name engraved onto it somewhere (preferably on the lower receiver) even though I'm purchasing the parts from websites or the gun shop down the street from me?

warrumr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2014
    Beech Grove
    Correct. You are purchasing parts in order to build an NFA item. You're still the builder.

OK and sorry if I'm asking the same question over and over I just want to make sure I have everything right so I don't get myself in trouble if I decide to go through with this. Thank you all for the information.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    OK and sorry if I'm asking the same question over and over I just want to make sure I have everything right so I don't get myself in trouble if I decide to go through with this. Thank you all for the information.

If you wait until after July, you will no longer need CLEO signoff and will be easier to file individually rather than the trust route. ATF 41P has changed the trust requirements.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Please don't ban me. This isn't exactly true.
    Upon my death, my class 3 individual items will transfer tax free to my heir on a form 5.
    The trust owned weapons won't have to transfer at all. The trust still owns them as long as there are living trustees. If not, ownership would transfer to the named beneficiaries declared in the trust, again on a form 5.

The ATF doesn't charge a transfer fee (200) on a death. They chose to do a free transfer and keep track of the item as opposed to some body just stashing it away. They would rather lose the money than lose track of the item.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom