• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    As the title says I'm traveling through 3 other states. Ohio, Kentucky, and staying in Tennessee . Who should i call to find out if i can oc or cc in those states. I will be in a Tennessee state park for 1 day also. I figured calling the state park on that one would answer that question. Any help would be very much appreciated .

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    As the title says I'm traveling through 3 other states. Ohio, Kentucky, and staying in Tennessee . Who should i call to find out if i can oc or cc in those states. I will be in a Tennessee state park for 1 day also. I figured calling the state park on that one would answer that question. Any help would be very much appreciated .

I would start with the state police of each state you plan to travel to.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The aggregation sites are pretty good (such as those shared). I also like to reconfirm w/states before I travel. Laws change.

Depending on the state, the answers seem to usually be on either the state police or attorney general's office web sites.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Sweet I'm saving these web sites. And yes i will call just to make sure. Thank you all for the fast response. I greatly appreciate it.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    Well just got off the phone with 2 different state police districts in tennessee. And on their web site under homeland security. Tennessee does not honor Indiana's ltch. I asked if that was just changed and both were not aware of a recent change. But under the attorney office web site. i shows indiana is covered. I called back and he assured me im not covered. If i find anymore out i will post

Last edited:

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well just got off the phone with 2 different state police districts in tennessee. And on their web site under homeland security. Tennessee does not honor Indiana's ltch. I asked if that was just changed and both were not aware of a recent change. But under the attorney office web site. i shows indiana is covered. I called back and he assured me im not covered. If i find anymore out i will post

https://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Tennessee and Kentucky both recognize our LTCH, although their laws are NOT identical to ours, so you need to research each one individually. Ohio is a no go.

The fact that you got the wrong answer for some officials in Tennessee just goes to show you how important it is to be well versed in the laws yourself. And yes, that little stint on I-74 in Ohio is annoying.

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    amen. I got an officer to look up what i found and he agreed. basically they look up what we do and have no idea. So yes im running off a copy from both states just incase.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Things may get better here in Ohio. House Bill 203 has passed the house and is in committee in the senate (sigh) and if passed one of the provisions will direct the attorney general to provide reciprocity for any states CCW that recognizes Ohio's (without the requirement of a written agreement which has been the hold up on reciprocity. The bill is unfortunately bogged down because it contains a variation of a 'stand your ground provision' which is generating some controversy. Hopefully some of our senators will grow a pair

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Ohio is definitely no-go. Having an accessible firearm in a vehicle is considered "concealed carry" and a big no-no. Weapon must be separated from ammunition and locked in different areas of vehicle (i.e. gun in trunk, ammo in glove box)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Regarding that stay in a Tennessee state park, you might want to be careful. Though I'm not sure what the exact meaning of the phrase "intent to go armed" means.

Carrying Weapons on Public Parks, Playgrounds, Civic Centers and Other Public Recreational Buildings and Grounds.
    (a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    What I meant to highlight in my previous post about HB 203 in ohio is that if the bill is adopted into law then if IN recognized Ohio's CCW then Ohio would automatically recognize Indiana's LTCH without the AG having any say in whether to provide said reciprocity. The OP had inquired about OC and CC I thought not about merely transporting.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Your Indiana resident is honored in Kentucky and Tennessee, but you have to carry according to their laws down there. If you go through a county that does not like magazine capacity more than 10 rounds, you have to be carrying according to their rules.

I also have the Utah Non-resident permit, so that I can carry in Ohio. The county my son and wife live in do not allow hi-capacity magazines, so I just carry my Ruger LCP when we go over there. Too many rules and regulations if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Tennessee has stricter regulations that I thought they would have. I would hate to be stopped by an officer who didn't know there own states laws. Sounds like it could get confusing.

Top Bottom